www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Why Four Winns?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:32 am 
email admin your custom rank

298VISTA2000 wrote:
We all know why we like a Four Winns cruiser but to be fair to the OP, I think we need to hear from those who left Four Winns and went elsewhere (i.e. Cap'n Morgan & others). What sold you on the other brand(s)?

Loved both of my Four Winns. I think that 260H is still one of the best looking bowriders out there. Part of me wanted to try something else. A big part of me loved the styling and overal layout of the 290 Sundancer. An even bigger part felt that the one I got was the right deal at the right time. The newer FW cruisers in this size - big enough to have a dedicated V-berth, 9.5 beam were scarce. I'm not even sure which model fits that description now. It wasn't until I got looking into the 318 range that I felt FW had a comparable boat (mine is 31.1 LOA) but the prices were higher. Something about the deck, the arch and lines of the SR 290 just do it for me.

One thing I did not like about my past FW is the kind of "non-skid" they use. I put that in quotes because I've taken enough slips off the back of my 260 and Sunday Dinners 258 to know its anything but non-skid. I think SR's diamond cut is much better.

Overall, I would say the build quality on my last 2 boats is pretty comparable. Hard to compare a BR to a cruiser but I see pretty much the same stuff on them.

2007 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer

Current boat
2004 Sea Ray 290 Sun Sport Twin 350 Mags

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:24 am 

I find myself asking this same question. I've been kicking around a newer boat with-in the next 3 years. I like the H310 but also really like the Cobalt 272. Cobalt is in a class of its own well above Four Winns but you pay for that too. Then I have my wife on the side lines, that comes from a huge wakeboard background, yelling Mastercraft x-45. I got my 200ss because I wanted to downsize to a trailerable runabout that I could easily pull from lake to lake and it was shiney and the latest and greatest thing at the boat show that year. Now that we have our lakehouse and dont travel, its time to find something to fit in the boathouse and is large enough to entertain.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:21 pm 
268 Vista

We had 6 seasons of enjoyment with our 268 Vista. Overall it was a good boat for us. We chose it based on the price and
our needs at the time. It was the best bang for our buck we could find in a 26ft. Express Cruiser.

The reason we bought the Monterey over a Four Winns, was because there is not a model in FW's line up
that matches up with what the 282 offers. The 298 was the closest to what we wanted, but could not find
a 2005 for the price we paid for our boat. The only other Four Winns cruiser we would have considered
would have been a 328 Vista. I still feel the 328 is the best 32+ foot express cruiser ever made. And that
is the only Four Winns cruiser I would consider if we stayed with the brand. I do not care for the newer
Vista's for various reasons that I won't get into. Nice boats for sure, just not for me.

When you consider a boat, it has so much to do with what you like, and what you can afford. Less about brand.
In our case, the 282 Monterey was exactly what we liked, and the price was unbeatable with any other brand
of a comparable year. Right boat, right price. Simple as that.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:53 pm 

My search was simple- i looked at everything out there i think....asked tons of questions and compared how the ones I looked at were set up. I really liked the FW and also the Rinker, but when I ran across the deal I got - It was something that just jumped out as hands down the best deal for me.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:49 pm 

I forgot about the swim platform...that was a major plus for us. It was very important to my wife that we have a swim platform that completely covers the outdrives so the kids don't jump off and land on one of them when we're anchored and swimming around. BTW - we closed on the boat today. So, so happy right now!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:26 am 

4 Years ago I started looking for an 18-20ft BR w/ a V6. After looking for about 3 months I almost gave up. Until I found a 96 FW 170 Horizon w/ a 4.3 liter VP. It was in perfect shape. Interior/exterior. It was the right color/price/condition. I was sold, I had it 4 summers and it looked just as good when I sold it as the day I got it. The last FW never gave me an trouble. The interior is extremely durable and easy to clean up. Everything seemed to have its place. Since I had such good luck w/ the 170 I upgraded to a 97 205 Sundowner. The 205 interior has the same durable material. The fit/finish is great of these boats. Mine is 13 years old and it still looks new. Couldn't be happier. I will always be a FW owner.

Tow Vehicle: 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited SOLD
1999 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 SOLD
2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 6.0