www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:14 am 
Seahorse

Hello again, Looking at a 348 on Monday and have a great feeling about it! Question, I have my loan paperwork set up and ready to rock and have my insurance agent on standby. What paperwork should I prepare for registration and the like for the state of CT? Not sure where to go and what to do for that. Also, question (real dumb one) for the CT boaters. If I buy a boat registered in Rhode Island, do I need to pay CT sales tax?

Thanks again in advance guys and sorry to bother you with these petty things but rather than go in to the sale blind....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:59 am 
Goldfish

Hi Anesthetized,

Congrats on your upcoming purchase!

I was able to find info online about registering a boat in CT. Sorry, don't know about the tax question.

Here's the link to CT boat registration:

http://www.dmv.org/ct-connecticut/boat-registration.php

Greg

1997 Horizon 200
1998 F150 4x4

Post subject: CT Tax
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:45 am 
Clownfish

You pay the tax of the state where you buy the boat. Thus, if you buy the boat in Rhode Island, you pay Rhode Island Sales tax there. HOWEVER, I believe that when you go to register the boat in CT, you must bring the bill of sale, and they will make you pay the difference in tax if the RI tax paid was less than the CT tax would have been.

HBender
2006 248 Vista

Post subject: Re: CT Tax
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:55 am 
Seahorse

HBender wrote:
You pay the tax of the state where you buy the boat. Thus, if you buy the boat in Rhode Island, you pay Rhode Island Sales tax there. HOWEVER, I believe that when you go to register the boat in CT, you must bring the bill of sale, and they will make you pay the difference in tax if the RI tax paid was less than the CT tax would have been.

HBender
2006 248 Vista

Ouch! Heaven forbid that they don't squeeze some more money out of me. Thanks for the responses...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:57 pm 
AGE < LOA

Nah, bought my boat in CT and registered in DE. Paid zero tax!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:57 am 
Andiamo

Anesthetized, I think HBender is exactly correct! My last FW was registered in CT, and I remember something like that. Congrat's on finding a Boat so fast, and Best of Luck!

mk, that's one of he great things about Delaware. I think it is the only place you can still get away with that. In fact, we are in Kent Island, MD at the moment looking at possible retirement locations (and tons of boats all around us), and plan to look in Delaware on our way home today. I also heard that if you live in DE and your boat is "Documented" that not only do you not pay sales tax but you avoid the personal property tax on it as well?? I am not sure about that one, but I do plan to look into the documentation process before I buy my next boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:33 am 
AGE < LOA

I think you are correct about the property tax as well. I can check with my buddy who has a house in DE. I don't have property there but you don't need to in order to register your boat there. Both boats and jetskis are all registered in De, you don't even need a physical address there in order to do so. Now if you have a un-trailerable cruiser and don't keep it in Delaware so many months per year then I heard that the other state's agencies will attempt to fine you.

Registration was a whopping 20 bucks for the Vista! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:04 pm 
Seahorse

mkivbren wrote:
I think you are correct about the property tax as well. I can check with my buddy who has a house in DE. I don't have property there but you don't need to in order to register your boat there. Both boats and jetskis are all registered in De, you don't even need a physical address there in order to do so. Now if you have a un-trailerable cruiser and don't keep it in Delaware so many months per year then I heard that the other state's agencies will attempt to fine you.

Registration was a whopping 20 bucks for the Vista! :D

Rub it in why don't ya! Ct Reg is going to be 165 and I don't even want to think about the yearly property tax bill!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:05 pm 
email admin your custom rank

The only thing that has no property taxes in CT is on boats. We pay yearly registration based upon the footage of the boat. You only have to pay the registration and sales tax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:00 am 
Seahorse

BarryBoats wrote:
The only thing that has no property taxes in CT is on boats. We pay yearly registration based upon the footage of the boat. You only have to pay the registration and sales tax.

Awesome...I didn't even think about personal property tax til Giaccamo talked about it. I better not talk about it too loud cause Governor Rell will hear me and pass a new bill. Thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:51 am 
Narwhal

Of course if you are buying from a Dealer, they will have most of the answers for you. Also, buying used may be different from buying new. For example I bought my 200 new in Illinois and registered it in Wisconsin, and only paid Wisconsin sales tax.