www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:14 pm 
Dolphin

Well, if you're not free to do something dumb, then you are not free.

As to the cost to others, especially vis the Coast Guard, my friends in the Coast Guard tell me that they routinely pay to tow boats out to sea and pay to put people on board to practice rescuing when the aren't getting enough "real" cases. It could be that the FH crew *saved* us taxpayers some money. Even if not, it is a tiny, tiny drop in the bucket when compared to just one Obama trip to Hawaii or Bush trip to Texas, and, IMHO, a *much* better value just because of all the entertainment we all got from it.

I don't mean to defend the guy here, since he was clearly doing really dumb stuff, and I don't advocate putting yourself and your loved ones at high risk, but, on the other hand, I don't want people telling me I can't ride motorcycles, fly airplanes, or use my boat because my activities *might* cause the activation of an emergency response system, so I'm pretty cautious about limiting other people's behavior on those grounds.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:31 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Why are there stupid laws? Because there are stupid people.

I am not against anyone having fun. But being stupid - that's another matter. Going out in your boat isn't stupid. Going hiking isn't stupid. Riding a motorcycle... Well - not stupid, but there are a lot of stupid people who own motorcycles. There is a reason they are called "Murdercycles" or "Donorcycles" or "Splatmagnets."

However - driving drunk, smoking, hiking when you are 68, 378 pounds, and have a medical history longer than my arm... That's stupid.

I should be free from having to pay for others stupidity.

A CG training mission is a lot more fun than a CG rescue. BTDTGTTS.

2013 Dodge Durango HEMI

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:45 pm 
Dolphin

fi.na.tine wrote:
Why are there stupid laws? Because there are stupid people.

who elect charismatic but self-serving politicians.

Quote:
I am not against anyone having fun. But being stupid - that's another matter. Going out in your boat isn't stupid. Going hiking isn't stupid. Riding a motorcycle... Well - not stupid, but there are a lot of stupid people who own motorcycles. There is a reason they are called "Murdercycles" or "Donorcycles" or "Splatmagnets."

One man's fun is another man's stupid. You think boating isn't stupid, but plenty of people think it is, because they don't "get" it. Same thing with lots of other activities ranging from free climbing to eating hamburgers.

Quote:
However - driving drunk, smoking, hiking when you are 68, 378 pounds, and have a medical history longer than my arm... That's stupid.

Yep. But but only the driving drunk should be against the law.

Quote:
I should be free from having to pay for others stupidity.

Nice dream, I guess. Personally, I'd have a long, long list to go down before getting to the Coast Guard, including things like wars, bailouts, subsidies, a large selection of what passes for "research" and "art", ad nausem.

Quote:
A CG training mission is a lot more fun than a CG rescue. BTDTGTTS.

Which means a rescue is better training than a training mission.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:07 am 
email admin your custom rank

Well they still have not found the boat LOL Commercial Fishing Ship has over 37 hours logged searching the boat has been written down as lost at sea.

Now before y'all go accusing the stupid owner blah blah blah.. the boat had 3 licensed captains on the boa and a number of experienced ocean sailers. The storm that did them in cam up on them as a flash storm. They had been in and out of squalls all day and then this one provide to have much heavier gusts within its evil midst. TOTAL loss.

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17