www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Perko and 2nd Battery
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:35 pm 
Minnow

Can someone tell me what I'll need to install my Perko and 2nd battery on my 2000 180 Horizon? What battery do you recommend for the 2nd battery? I'll be using it mainly to run the stock stereo while fishing/swimming. Also, how hard is this install? Anyone have good tips or pics? Thanks.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:51 pm 
Narwhal

I'm doing this on a Horizon 200, kinda. I'm actually going to use a battery isolator and not a switch. Anyway, here's some thoughts for you.

First thing is to determine how much battery you need/ want. One way might be to calculate the anticpated draw in amps and hours, then double it and use that Amp Hours figure to help select a Dual Purpose or Deep Cycle Battery. These type of batteries are in 'Groups' based on physical size (LxWxH), for example a Group 27 battery will be about 90 Amp Hours, and a Group 29 (maybe an inch longer) will be around 110 Amp hours.

Another consideration is where to put the second battery. You will need to buy a battery tray or box sized to hold that particular group, and mount it (or the strap) to the deck. Keep in mind that aside from the physical space needed, there's some weight to these (60 - 80 lbs, for the batteries I mentioned earlier). An extra battery placed near an existing battery in a corner at the stern could cause an unbalanced load condition. Of course, battery cables are not cheap either, so you'll likely want to mount it and the switch somewhat close to the existing battery.

Speaking of switches, most offer A, B, Both and Off functionality. There are many different ways of wiring these up. Right now your single battery setup has helm power and starter power all run to the same battery, which charges from the alternator when the boat is running. You could split out the helm systems to a Deep Cycle battery, keeping the 'starting battery' in reserve. Note that you have to switch to both to have both batteries charging off of the alternator. A simpler method might be to buy a Combo battery that's say 120 Amp Hours, that would also have 720 CCA. Move all the wires to this battery, wire it to your switch as battery A, and keep your existing starting battery in reserve wired as battery B. Run the boat with the switch set to both. When fishing or on the hook, switch to battery A, and change back before starting up again. Perhaps not the perfect dual battery solution, but darn close to the easiest.