www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WOT
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:09 am 
email admin your custom rank

I have personal difficulties putting my boat into WOT. (As in not limited by mechanics) I have only run it there a very few times - thinking that not doing so will prolong the engine life. Is this correct thinking, or should I just go WOT whenever and not worry about it?

2013 Dodge Durango HEMI

Post subject: Re: WOT
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:47 am 

Mechanically, it won't harm the engine to go WOT occasionally. Really depends on your boating style, my personal preference is to "cruise" at about 20-25 knots. A couple of times a summer I'll go WOT just to blow the dust out.

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:01 am 

Volvo had said that an inboard will last longest if its most often run not more than 75% of wot which is about 3500 rpm. That said there's nothing wrong with doing it once in a while. Its important to know that your wot rpms are right.
This is why outboards are considered higher performance. A 2 stroke outboard has no valve gear to wear out and as long as the fuel mix and oil injection is functioning properly going wot is fine. A 4 stroke outboard's valve gear is made for high rpms. My '89 Toyota Corolla GTS had the 1.6 twin cam engine. It produced max torque over 4,000 rpm and could be revved to 6,000 rpm regularly with out damage. The cyl head on these was designed by Yamaha for Toyota and guess how Yamaha 4 stroke outboards are set up? Basically the same way.
Our old school inboards were not designed for this use hence the recommendation that you cruise at 3500.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:10 am 

I'll run our 328 up to WOT a couple times a year just to make sure I reach the manufactures specification for WOT RPM and the corresponding expected speed. My thoughts are if I can't reach the expected WOT RPM and speed then I should be finding out why. If you have an issue with maybe your prop being dinged or slightly bent, a issue with your fuel delivery or spark or some other engine mechanical issue the symptoms may not show up at cruise speed, but may show up in your inability to reach WOT.

You don't have to mash the throttle(s) to the peg(s) just move your cruise speed up over 4000 RPM and then move to WOT for a very brief period of time. For me about one minute or less at WOT is all I need.

Plus letting her rip is fun in moderation.

My 2 cents anyways.

- 2010 310 Mercury Inflatable

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:19 am 

Yeah I've heard that same kind of talk about it being ok to leave WOT for long periods of time, but usually not from sources I would trust. I also test it once or twice a season for not more than about 30 seconds...then I feel guilty and back off :lol:

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:37 pm 

I did this for the first time a couple weeks ago.. I hit 42mph at 4400 rpm..of course that was the gauge on the dash...wish I would have gps' it. I typically cruise at 27mph at 3500.

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA
1996 Four Winns 238 Vista Dlx 5.8Fi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:38 pm 

You should have no trouble "airing it out" now and then for a short blast. It is a good way to verify the boat's performance. Keep in mind that prolonged running at high power settings can cause higher oil temps which causes to lower oil pressure. Prolonged use at full power would probably shorten engine life, but an occasional run shouldn't hurt anything.

Pick a good time with relatively calm water. Things get really hairy with an unexpected wave or boat wake. I am always more concerned about traffic and water conditions for a short blast at top speed than engine harm. I used to do this on my '95 190 Horizon, and I put over 2000 hours on the boat. The boat still ran great when I sold it. Its a boat. Be safe and have fun with it.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:47 pm 

NiagaraChillin wrote:
Mechanically, it won't harm the engine to go WOT occasionally. Really depends on your boating style, my personal preference is to "cruise" at about 20-25 knots. A couple of times a summer I'll go WOT just to blow the dust out.

I'm on Niagara's team on this one. I usually try to run WOT for just a brief moment at the close of each outing, conditions permitting. It's my way to make sure I reach my top speed and it lets me know if all is well.

not@work.gon
Happiness is an Empty Boat Trailer!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:40 am 

Thanks - I know of people who run WOT all day every day - and most of those people's boats have had issues - so it goes to figure this was the problem. I'll still bump her into WOT on occasion, but maintain my 3500 for the most part.

2013 Dodge Durango HEMI

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:22 pm 

Point has been made already, but me too. I will open it up every now and then but usually back off before it tops out speed wise. Its really way faster than I care to go. I usually run around 35 or so if water conditions are good.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:06 pm 

LVChris wrote:
I did this for the first time a couple weeks ago.. I hit 42mph at 4400 rpm..of course that was the gauge on the dash...wish I would have gps' it. I typically cruise at 27mph at 3500.

Off topic, SORRY!! I just noticed, you bow line runs up to your bow railing. Why not use the bow cleat?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:17 pm 

NiagaraChillin wrote:

This, music rocking, beverage in hand. Conversation, looking at the multi million dollar houses, loving life

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:19 am 

Paul I. wrote:
LVChris wrote:

Off topic, SORRY!! I just noticed, you bow line runs up to your bow railing. Why not use the bow cleat?

Interesting question...there is no way to reach that cleat from the dock. Since I handle her a lot by myself I need an easy way to tie and un-tie her. The rear cleat is no problem, the center cleat is un-reachable from inside and the front cleat is unreachable from the dock. So necessity turned to tying off to the bow rail.

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:55 am 

LVChris wrote:
Paul I. wrote:
LVChris wrote:

Interesting question...there is no way to reach that cleat from the dock. Since I handle her a lot by myself I need an easy way to tie and un-tie her. The rear cleat is no problem, the center cleat is un-reachable from inside and the front cleat is unreachable from the dock. So necessity turned to tying off to the bow rail.

I have a product that provides the perfect solution for your one man operations.

http://hookandmoor.com/works/

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:09 pm 

Quote:
I have a product that provides the perfect solution for your one man operations.

http://hookandmoor.com/works/[/quote]

Appreciate that, but I really don't have a "problem" doing it myself. The 238 is just about the perfect size for one person. Tying off temporarily to the bow rail works well, if it ever became a problem, I'd probably just add another cleat in-between.

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA