www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1991 FW 5.8L wont start
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:54 am 
Guppy

I have a 1991 225 sundowner with the 5.8L engine its been running great,( ran it last weekend) until yesterday it fired up right off the bat but because of all the noise at the launch I could not hear if it was running and then nothing. The engine turns over but does fire thought it might be flooded waited and tried again but it just is not firing. Found down in the cabin that the all the switches for 110 circuits were on including the battery charger were on. I had this once before and it took out a wire that connects the two batteries which I replaced with little bigger gauge wire. I visually checked fuses and checked the circuit breakers on the engine. Did I fry some other electrical component or what?
Would really appreciate some help.
Thanks, Mike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:51 pm 
email admin your custom rank

First off, welcome! Sorry your first post is about a problem. Is your 5.8 fuel injected or carb? I have a carb and I know that one time I flooded it, it took a long time before it would start. I had to put the throttle all the way forward and let it sit like that for awhile, then start it. Make sure you pull back on throttle as soon as it fires tho.

As far as your comment on the switches being on, do you mean you left them on last time you used the boat? Leaving switches on shouldn't fry anything, but might drain the battery. If all the fuses and breakers look fine, check your distributor cap for cracks or moisture, check all plug wires to make sure they are snug and in good condition. Check all connections on the coil. While you have the distributor cap off, there is something else you should check, but it is late and i'm having a brain fart. LouC should be along shortly to chime in, and I'm sure he will remember what it is.

If you fix the prob, be sure to report back here so that others may use this thread for advice if they have a similar prob.

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:28 am 
Guppy

I did try full throttle a number of times and let it sit for awhile and tried again. I think the switches were bumped by my wife while cleaning up from last time out. It has a carburetor. Batteries are good and strong just not firing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:31 am 

welcome to the fourm.
first i would check to make sure you are getting fuel. have some one hit the throttle and see if getting squirt of fuel
next see if you have spark pull a plug wire put an old plug in wire and ground to engine and crank it over . they make a tester that one end is like a plug top and the other is a clip that you hook to a good grund of the engine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:31 am 

crossram wrote:
pull a plug wire put an old plug in wire and ground to engine and crank it over

If you do this, make triple sure there are no gas fumes in the engine compartment! Take off engine cover, turn on blower, fan the area with a piece of cardboard, etc.

Tow Veh: 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:43 am 
Guppy

sorry didnt get back sooner on this but the problem was flooding and maybe a tempermental neutral switch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:09 pm 

If it was flooding, are you sure that the choke valve is working properly (ie it closes all the way or most of the way with a cold engine and opens all the way on a hot engine)?
These automotive style chokes need some maintenance. As in, spraying the choke valve shaft where it passes through the upper carb body and the whole choke linkage with carb cleaner. Dirt, or oily deposits can cause the choke and linkage to get sticky. Back when we had cars with carbs 30+ years ago cleaning the choke linkage and choke plate was a part of the yearly tune up. But we forget that now because our cars don't need that lol.
If you have chronic flooding and the choke is OK then you may have a sticky float, or a float level that is too high.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:51 pm 

wilecat33 wrote:
sorry didnt get back sooner on this but the problem was flooding and maybe a tempermental neutral switch

Just had this issue here last weekend. I was that guy at a busy launch trying to start the boat :(
The boat started right away, but was hesitating a bit. I gave her some gas, but I think too much. Acted flooded. Three hours later at home on muffs I was finally able to get it started. At least the launch is only a mile away- still had a nice boating / beach evening!

5.0L Mercruiser, Alpha 1