www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:55 pm 
Dolphin

Good Stopped at a tiny fruit stand and picked up some incredible late summer produce, including plums so juicy they could only be eaten on the swim deck.

Good Plenty of successful skiing, wakeboarding, and tubing.

Bad Got myself squeezed between a downed skier and a shallow area. Stupidly tried to back up and the prop ate the rope. Fortunately some quick teamwork undid the tangle and no damage done except for the old rope. Pull out the new rope and carry on, with lesson learned!

Good Found a great spot for lunch with excellent wildlife viewing, swimming, and sheltered from passing wakes.

Weird While eating lunch, someone in a twin-engine piston plane decided to fly low passes over a group anchored about 100 yards from us. And I do mean low passes. A couple of them were by us. This is a boating forum, so I'll leave out the comments on pilot decision making. This is an uncropped iPhone photo (so a fairly wide angle lens).

Good Saw a couple of guys working jet skis in a manner that seemed to defy physics, doing multiple full upside-down flips in a row, with no waves. Pretty incredible, though many of you may find it routine.

Bad I'm still struggling to get the rope back to a downed skier consistently. I may be too chicken about hitting them because too often it just passes around them just out of reach. Maybe a little more power in the turn after passing them would tighten the turn.

Good Nice dinner at Moore's Riverboat. Docking was not the smoothest; need to work on our crew coordination.

Good Well, really great. Sunset and moonlight cruise back to the ramp after dinner.

Good Very smooth launching and recovery (never to be underrated).

Pretty decent day!

Last edited by RichA on Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:45 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Nice writeup and pics. Feel like we were there with you.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:53 pm 

Having fun, using a boat. Well, an awfully selfish post ( but I'm happy you had a good time).

Only because my boat has been out of action for the whole season due to problems with the Volvo EVC system

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:03 pm 
Dolphin

Graham R wrote:
Having fun, using a boat. Well, an awfully selfish post ( but I'm happy you had a good time).

Only because my boat has been out of action for the whole season due to problems with the Volvo EVC system

It gives you something to look forward to, Graham!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:03 pm 

Nice post and pics...the plane was stupid weird. You just need to make a harder turn around the skier , just tell them to pull rope over their head as soon as they get it so they don't get tangled.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:02 am 
Dolphin

TX H210SS wrote:
Nice post and pics...the plane was stupid weird. You just need to make a harder turn around the skier , just tell them to pull rope over their head as soon as they get it so they don't get tangled.

Does "harder" mean more throttle? I've got the wheel against the stop. I can't believe I haven't tried that, in retrospect. Boats I've driven before have turned the tightest at idle, but this one is longer and with a deeper V, so it makes sense that it could pivot more with extra power.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:13 pm 

Yes..not too much power but faster than idle...never get so close that you don't personally have a clear view of the person in the water....also remember that rope is dangerous to them so back off to neutral once they get hand on it and get it lifted over their head...then idle and coast ahead til they get handle.

We use two sections of a three section ski rope for tube and boarding. All three for skis but nobody seems to ever ski anymore. It is much easier turning with rope with the tower though...if you have no tower and use stern ski pylon that rope will want to trail the boat path. Someone slinging rope path over toward skier side will do wonders.

Another simple rule...I never reverse with anyone in water...and some ski ropes suck and will get waterlogged and sink. For the record I have gotten crossways with rope blowing in water and wrapped up the prop too.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi