www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:03 am 
email admin your custom rank

Ric still has not learned yet! If thats what you want, than thats what it is.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:03 am 

I would ask what their latest pull out time is. Just because they have staff til 8 doesn't mean they pull til 8. Usually it's at least 1-2 hours before close.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:17 am 

ric wrote:
I would ask what their latest pull out time is. Just because they have staff til 8 doesn't mean they pull til 8. Usually it's at least 1-2 hours before close.

My marina pulls the boats immediately, they do not have the space to have boats floating around waiting to be pulled. We tie up, unload, put on the covers, walk the boat back to the lift and they pull the boat.

EDIT: At peak times, there might be a few boats ahead of us. At which point we tie up and unload. We will be pulled in that order. The longest we have had to wait to be put in or pulled out has been about 15-20 minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:06 pm 

GottWhat wrote:
However, after reading the comments above, if we buy a boat with bottom paint already in place we will likely not return it to plain gelcoat as it is just not economically feasible. On the flipside, we will not be adding bottom paint to a boat without it.

I would agree with that assessment completely.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:31 pm 

Looking at a Formula 280ss myself...and I have the same issue, these boats are typically bottom painted, and command a premium for ones without.

Good luck with your search!!

Past: 1989 180 Horizon

http://www.robcamerondesign.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:17 pm 

I know you said you were going to rack store it but if you ever left it in the water you could get blisters in a very short time without a barrier coat. I think the manual says 2 weeks is the maximum continuous period it should it in the water. A good coating is no big deal. For one you will not see it when the boats in the water and doesn't really effect performance. There are people that will even argue the paint will make the boat go faster. Must be the paint salesman...
It will also last for years without a need to repaint. You may need to touch up some chips and scratches but that's about it. I trailered a boat with bottom paint for about 8 years with the same coat and it was still in good shape when I sold it. It was also 100% salt water used.
Just like what was said above it is the drive and other parts that you should pay close attention to. Also, have a marine survey to check the hull and mechanics. They usually take a hammer and tap all over the bottom of the hull and also use density meters to search for rot.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:30 pm 

I appreciate all of the opinions and input guys!

NOLV4V8 wrote:
Looking at a Formula 280ss myself...and I have the same issue, these boats are typically bottom painted, and command a premium for ones without.

Good luck with your search!!

Likewise ;)

Other boats that interest us are the Cobalt 262, Four Winns H260, Chaparral, etc. Basically a quality ~26' that offers big block power and an enclosed head. Would prefer Volvo Penta but I would not avoid a big block Merc with a Bravo III either. Beam can be no wider than 8'6" for my rack storage. We can afford to jump on a GREAT deal now but will otherwise have to wait a couple years until our youngest starts school and my wife can go back to work.

In the meantime, I am more than happy to enjoy our H180, she was running great today :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:32 am 

Ric, one recommendation I have for you is to pull your drain plug while the boat is on a fork lift if you do not do this already. That way they can tilt the bow up and allow all of the water to drain out. When my boat is stored on the rack, the bow is down further than it would when it is on a trailer and the water from the bilge will flow mid-ship so no water will come out when pulling the plug. Works great pulling the plug while on the fork lift though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:44 pm 

hey GottWhat, what marina are you using? As im looking into bigger boats, my storage situation changes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:57 pm 

i was in DirtyRoit over the weekend for a few on my way to KALAMAZOOOOOOOOO for a wedding it was cold as ballzzzz over the weekend.

totally irrelevant to the topic other than the above ^^^^^ post location .

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:32 pm 

NOLV4V8 wrote:
hey GottWhat, what marina are you using? As im looking into bigger boats, my storage situation changes.

Hideaway Harbor. Their inside rack storage can accommodate up to ~23 feet. They have covered and uncovered outside storage for larger boats as well. If/when we upgrade, I am hoping they will have a covered spot for me outside.

Next door is Beacon Cove Marina. Their inside rack storage can accommodate up to ~32 feet with 8.6' beam. Their rates are about $800 more per year than Hideaway but does have a few more amenities including a pool. If I cannot get a covered spot at Hideaway, we will likely go here.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:33 pm 

Jdpber wrote:
i was in DirtyRoit over the weekend for a few on my way to KALAMAZOOOOOOOOO for a wedding it was cold as ballzzzz over the weekend.

totally irrelevant to the topic other than the above ^^^^^ post location .

Yep, our season is over. But helps us save gas money for the warm weather ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:03 am 

GottWhat wrote:
NOLV4V8 wrote:

Hideaway Harbor. Their inside rack storage can accommodate up to ~23 feet. They have covered and uncovered outside storage for larger boats as well. If/when we upgrade, I am hoping they will have a covered spot for me outside.

Next door is Beacon Cove Marina. Their inside rack storage can accommodate up to ~32 feet with 8.6' beam. Their rates are about $800 more per year than Hideaway but does have a few more amenities including a pool. If I cannot get a covered spot at Hideaway, we will likely go here.

I have a few friends that keep their boats at Anchor Bay marina, its quite nice and their rack service is impeccable.

Nice, I am considering Sassy Marina on the North Channel. Seems to be reasonable rates for the size / year round indoor storage. We have a place on Harsens Island and I wanna be a short ride to the dock for the weekend.

Were in the same situation, we have a little one on the way, and im wondering how much we will use it next summer, but perhaps a bigger boat is the gateway to more use ;)

Anyway....happy searching!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:31 am 

NOLV4V8 wrote:
GottWhat wrote:
NOLV4V8 wrote:

I have a few friends that keep their boats at Anchor Bay marina, its quite nice and their rack service is impeccable.

Nice, I am considering Sassy Marina on the North Channel. Seems to be reasonable rates for the size / year round indoor storage. We have a place on Harsens Island and I wanna be a short ride to the dock for the weekend.

Were in the same situation, we have a little one on the way, and im wondering how much we will use it next summer, but perhaps a bigger boat is the gateway to more use ;)

Anyway....happy searching!

Pick the one that will work best for you! We wanted to to stay in the Harrison Township area as it is relatively easy access by car even if one way is blocked. Anything out towards Algonac can be a major pain if there is something wrong on 23 Mile / M-29. The location for us is a also a plus because my in-laws live in some condos down the street and the marina is pretty centrally located from where we like to go by boat.

I checked out Belle Maer Harbor too but their rack storage had a 50+ name wait list. Their pricing was closer to Beacon Cove than Hideaway but is an awesome marina. My in-law's have their 38' Carver in a well there and love it. They have lots of amenities and do many fun activities throughout the year. But it reminds me more of a camp ground where people go to hang out at the marina rather than going out on their boat. That is NOT what I wanted to do. When we go to the boat, I want to go out on the boat. My in-law's are notorious for this. They would ask us to come to the boat and we would sit front of the boat, not in the boat, but in front of it. I understand burning 25 gph is costly but sitting in front of a boat is not appealing to me.

We have 6- and 3-year old boys and they love boating. The 3-year-old pretends he is the forklift that pulls the boats. He walks around the house with his arms out carrying everything, making forklift sounds.

Good luck!