GET A CAT

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:43 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Jdpber wrote:
GET A CAT

LOL!! Thats just what I need is a cat messing all over the place and stinking it up with pee....
He wouldn't last one week in this area with all the coyotes. we have to keep a electric fence to protect the few animals we keep.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:49 pm 

how about a bunch of the 8.5x11 mice sticky traps. i have also found that the moth balls i clip to the frame of my camper help keep rodents out..

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:44 am 
Sting Ray

Great thread!! Normally I keep my 24' FourWinns Funship in my pole barn with "no" mouse issues. I just had a full, waterline cover made due to having no other protection at my cabin 175 miles away. I'm concerned about pests protection against mice, squirrels, etc.. Even though it's a full cover, there are areas in which mice could get in. As for sticky traps, I have used them in the past (not in a boat situation) which worked great. I will definitely place a few around the inside. As for moth balls, they do smell bad. I would only place them in the engine compartment as some has stated. With peppermint oil, I have read that it only lasts about three to four days before needing to re-apply. Fabric sheets seem to be a great deterrent as well. I did read somewhere that a person ended up fabric sheets as a mouse nest. I was really hoping that an ultrasonic device (link below) would work, but it appears that they are hit and miss just like everything else. Please keep chiming in with your thoughts, ideas and what works for you. Thanks, Ray

Ultrasound Device:
http://pestnoproblem.ca/product/aspecte ... -rv-guard/

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:51 am 

I would not put the sticky pads inside the boat unless you know for sure there is no food or smell to attract the mice. You will be luring them in. You want to keep them out. Place them like 10 to 30 feet away.
The peppermint actually lasted a while for me. At least a few weeks. You need to use 100% peppermint oil, VERY smelly. There is no circulation inside the cabin and its a very small enclosure so that's probably why it lasted longer.
I have tried the "noise makers" for the barn in the past and I can't tell if it actually worked. It kept bats out but I think that's it. It was VERY loud and can be heard outside the bard for quite a distance which is why we stopped using it. So if you have close neighbors they won't like it.
The cat idea is probably the only sure thing but that's just not going to happen for me.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:21 am 

go to the local home depot or lowes. Get a few packs of the 20 count traps.. Bait them all and place evenly spaced in a 360* WALL AROUND THE BOAT. I prefer to use a finger and shove peanut butter into the round tube of the bait then use the slice coby/chedar marble cheese. and shove a chunk into the bait holder.. 40 of these in a circle around the boat should protect it effectively. I set about 6 randomly each winter and get around15 or so field mice that take refuge in my work shop in the cold winter.

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:33 am 
Sting Ray

With the boat sitting outside along with it's wooded location, I would be emptying traps like a part time job. Inside your workshop and/or garage, pole barn, etc. I can see the use. On a lighter side..... I guess we could all throw a stray cat inside just before tying down the cover.... LOL :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:02 pm 
Seahorse

I just posted this in another thread and figured it could be helpful here as well.

Beside a cat this is what I find most helpful to keep mice away.

GROUND CINNAMON! Buy a larger container at the Dollar Store (no need to buy the fancy brand name stuff, just be sure you don't buy it mixed with sugar!) and sprinkle it on the floor around your boat/trailer. I was told it "burns" their feet so the critters stay away. It's safe to use where pets/children are and it makes the barn smell great!
Tho I never needed to do it, it can be sprinkled anywhere you can sweep or vacuum it up (as long as it stays dry) or be hosed off.
In the spring I just sweep it aside and leave it along the perimeter of the floor and it keeps working as a perimeter "barrier".
I have used this trick to store my classic cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles, boats and lawn mowers etc. for some 30 years and I honestly have never seen a single mouse in any of them! I have caught more mice in my house than I have even seen in my barn! Doubt me if you will but I will always use this method.

Tom
Lake Winnipesaukee, NH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:56 pm 

babbot1 wrote:
What do you use to keep the mice out over the winter? I usually buy fresh cab rodent repellent but I don't have much faith since they didn't work in my shed. I have heard dryer sheets or peppermint on cotton balls. I am really worried about them getting into the engine and ruining wiring this year since I am in a different location. I would use traps but I won't be visiting often enough to keep up with them. Do you think dcon will work or will that just attract them.

Our marina uses Fresh Cab. We had a raccoons tearing up boats and actually having babies in then engine compartments. They started using Fresh Cab on all the boats as a service through the winter months, and seems to be working well. If the boat is covered or has a camper on it, the smell will stay inside the cockpit area and engine compartment.

Previous Boats:
2004 Sea Ray 220 Select

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:25 pm 

I use moth balls and a couple sticky mouse traps,, this seems to work well for the boats and the Camper. the best thing for mice is a big black rat snake! one has been living under my house for a few years now and we give each other space and co exist!

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:23 am 

So this is not how to keep mice out but how to catch them. Its an old trick that a friend just told me about. Do a google search for "5 gallon bucket mouse trap". Its sooo simple its stupid how well it works and I had everything already so didn't cost anything. I put it in my shed and over night caught 8 mice. By day 2 I think I caught them all(9 total). Its not for the squeamish because you have to dispose of the mice....

-Take a 5 gallon bucket and drill 2 holes at the top so you can run a wire across (i used bucket handle, but coat hanger works just as well)
-Stick a soda can end to end on the wire so it spins and slather peanut butter around the middle.
-I put about 1.5 gallons of anti freeze(boat stuff) in the bucket so it won't freeze.
-Then put a board from the ground to the top of the bucket, maybe 2 feet long.
-Then wait(not long, first mouse caught in a few hours for me) and dispose of mice.