www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:22 am 
email admin your custom rank

I have used the Dickinson Sea-B-Q Large Propane Barbeque when travelling with our boat for about 15 years. Changed the burner in it a couple times over those years but I am looking to replace it with new.

I would like a quality marine propane grill and wondered if anyone would have any recommendations for a replacement grill? I will be considering a Dickinson again along with any other recommendations.

So what do you use and would you recommend it?

Thanks,
Mike.

- 2010 310 Mercury Inflatable

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:41 am 

Our current boat came with a built in Kenyon electric grill. I dont now how much room you have to cut one in the couter in the cockpit area, but if you do may be worth a look.

I realy like it for several reasons. No open flame, no grease flare ups and the tempreture is easily controlled. Runs off of dockside power or off the genny lakeside.

I did a quick search and they have portables too, they are pricey I realize, but just not having to worry about propane and the thought of the boat burning up makes it worth a look IMHO.

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:22 am 
268 Vista

I saw "portable" in your request, so I would recommend a Weber Q2000. It cooks evenly, and is easy to clean and store.
But..... it's not marine, it's not stainless, and does not have a boat mount. So probably not a consideration for you. I am not a fan of
open flame and attached grill to a boat, no matter how safe your grill location is. But I understand that not always can you carry a grill to the beach to cook a meal. We always grilled off the boat, and I never cook on gas, but have used a Weber Q many times (borrowed from Dad)at tailgate parties and camping.

So you are probably fine with just replacing the Dickinson, a Kuuma Stow n Go 160 is also nice.. Best stainless marine portable/gas (if you like infared cooking) grill, my recommendation would be.......
The Solaire SOL-IR17M. http://www.air-n-water.com/product/sol-ir17m.htm
You can get a mount/adapter plate for it that is compatible with regular Magma grill mounts. The latches that secure the top, and carry bag are nice features too. But, she is a pricey one :)

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:30 pm 

Ive had a couple magma's over the years, and my issue with them is they only have 2 tempreture settings. Hot and really hot! It seems like there is always flare ups and you can set it very low or even the slightest wind will blow it out. When you get the flareups you are forced to pour some water on it, then that overfills the grease tray and you end up with grease running down the side of the boat.

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:31 pm 

Thanks for the replies guys.

The vast majority of our BBQing is done off our boat. When staying at our home port, I place our current BBQ on our picnic table under our gazebo to BBQ. When staying at various marinas as transients I always remove the BBQ from boat and BBQ from a table or ground close to our boat. If we anchor out somewhere and I BBQ I BBQ'd from our swim platform and this is my preferred choice if there is no other convenient place to take the BBQ to. But the vast majority of our BBQing is off the boat for sure. I will use the same BBQ for BBQing at our home port and when visiting other marinas, hence the portable requirement. We do BBQ quite a bit.

I was looking at the Weber Q 1200 and 2200 (I like having a temperature gauge) and was pondering the ideal size for us if we went this direction. I believe the 2200 is close to the same sized unit as Cap'n suggestion of Q2000 just without the temperature gauge.

http://www.weber.com/grills/series/weber-q-series

95% of the time I am BBQing for my wife, son and I. Normally a large steak, mushrooms in one tin foil package and garlic bread in another tin foil package and throwing on some hole potatoes that my wife has precooked a bit in the boat 's microwave. Garlic bread normally sits on top of everything. Probably more info then needs knowing. :) Damn, I miss BBQing on the boat already and we have only been winterized for about 5 weeks now.

I appreciate the replies. At this point of time I don't mind using propane.

Mike.

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:38 pm 
268 Vista

Cool, glad I was not off base with the Weber Q suggestion. They really do cook very nice, and temp can actually be regulated so it's not blazing hot only. The little side trays fold up out of the way too for compactness.
My buddy Wet Dogg has a Weber Q, and gets quite a bit of use. (ignore small Monterey on left side of pic) :wink:

I purposely did not mention Magma grills, as I feel they are overrated, and overpriced for what you get IMO.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:59 pm 

I have a Weber Q2000 that I picked up from Craigslist last year. We use it for camping, but have never used it on the boat. The Q2000 is well constructed (meaning heavy) and a good size.
My friend has a Q1000 which we have used for our boat camping trips to Lake Mohave with up to 8 guys - you'd probably be fine with the same model. You might consider it based on size and weight

Best bet would be to go to a retailer that sells both and compare.

Erik

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:24 pm 

I'm surprised, I have a magma kettle that I really like. I recently picked up a newport (because the price was right and I liked the hinged lid) and the holder just arrived for the mount which seems to be the greatest concept. I get fishing pole holders and can slide my grill right in.

I love cooking on the water (funny I hate it at home) and the $150 coleman that I bought 2 years ago for cooking on the beach, the lid doesn't stay up and the grill melted this summer. I would never expect to see that with the Magma's the quality is amazing. I have not had problems with the heat settings...of course I am not doing proffesional cooking with them, just making some good hot food for a bunch of hungry pirates. I would recommend a Magma to anyone. And I picked it up with the mount for $25! What a bargain!

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA
1996 Four Winns 238 Vista Dlx 5.8Fi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:53 pm 

I was not a big fan of my new Kuuma grille I bought this year but I might have found the problem the last couple times I used it. It kept going out on me but it seemed to be suffocating and not blow outs. If I cracked the lid with a spatula handle it would work great. I will add a couple small bolts to the lid to prop it open a little next year.
Also, I could only find one rod holder bracket that was not the right angle for me and I had to re-weld it to work. Other brands have nice adjustable ones.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:34 am 

Thanks for the BBQ replies above. I did purchase a new Weber Q 1200 grill from Lowes. Lowes had a decent price in addition to save the tax, so the grill, grill cover and new gas line was bought.

Now I need to clean up our existing Dickinson Sea B Q grill and sell it. I'll be happy if I can get it anywhere near as clean as LVChris did with his used BBQ he bought (in another thread) and cleaned it up nice and sparkly. :)

Now hopefully the ice on the lakes moves on soon so we can get the boat launched and start enjoying using this new grill.

Mike.

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation