www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:12 pm 
All Night Long

I posted in the sell/buy section a while back that I was on the hunt for an inflatable tender. I looked and looked and looked, and finally came across a nice option for me. End of year sales/discounts don't hurt either.

So, I thought I would post up a fun thread -- 'outfit' my dinghy. I go back quite a ways with many folks on this forum, and have come to appreciate input and some amount of opinions.

So, that being said... Here will be T/T Fair Game (for our SR 420 Sedan Bridge). I'll end up with a davit style known as a Ross Kelly or Nick Jackson, and of course have a custom cover made --- but I don't want to focus on that.

The dinghy.... 2014 AB Inflatables 11ALX Aluminum hull tender. It's 11'6'', nice console, storage, etc. We'll be spot on with keeping the weight down, the performance up.

It's not currently rigged with a motor, electronics, or toys. The hull is raw aluminum - so scraping rocks when beaching here in the PacNW won't be an issue. I get to start from scratch. Yeah, gonna take a hit on the pocket book - but it's a fun project.

Engine wise, it's officially rated for a 20hp, but most folks go with a 25hp. And, I know the jump to a 30hp is a couple hundred bucks, and just some tuning upgrades. Should I go that route? hhmmmm. I think I'll go with Tohatsu or Nissan Marine as parts are plentiful around here, and they have electronic fuel injection, power tilt, etc...

My holiday drooling has commenced... GPS, maybe a stereo? LED lights for sure!

Looking for some ideas. I don't want to go too over the top, but we will get alot of use out of this, and want to enjoy it. mostly 2 adults, 2 small kids, and a couple of small dogs (less than 20lbs).

What have folks seen that they have found useful or interesting?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:57 pm 
Shark

Nice dinghy! I would stay away from a Nissan outboard as I recently read they are exiting the outboard market. Just an FYI

2008 V338
Twin Volvo Penta 320hp DP

2002 268 Vista
1987 225 Sundowner
1986 170 Horizon
1975 Steury V415SS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:37 pm 
email admin your custom rank

The Tohatsu, Nissan and Merc (smaller than 20 hp), and some of the small Evinrudes, are all Tohatsus.
We have a DF 2.5 Suzuki for our 10' Walker Bay that is a great little motor, very light and economical.
I'd go by what you can get service on where you are located.
If its all Yam then go that way.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:20 pm 

SpecialK wrote:
Nice dinghy! I would stay away from a Nissan outboard as I recently read they are exiting the outboard market. Just an FYI

Nissan is just a "brand" that used the exact same engines as Tohatsu. Tohatsu is staying in the market. They are just dropping the Nissan brand.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:26 pm 

Nice the AB inflatable is one of the best built. As far as an engine I would be leary of putting anything more than the "rated" hp on, it's just another reason for the manufacturer to refuse any and all warranty issues you may have

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:17 pm 
All Night Long

The problem with the 20hp on a boat this size is that by the time you load everyone in, have 100lbs worth of fuel, equipment, etc... Any inflatable turns into a dog. This takes a long shaft with a deeper v than some....

The 25 feels like a solid motor. I am just trying to see how wild a 30 would be. I understand warranty and liability discussions, and am fine with taking on that risk.

Yammy doesn't make a fuel injected motor until 30hp, and that ones is about 215lbs. Fuel injection and power trim are on my must-have list.

The tohatsu has a 25 or a 30 with injection, the 3rd cylinder, and is only 160lbs. Suzuki says they make a fuel injected 20, but I have heard it costs the same as the tohatsu 25hp....

So many choices.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:31 pm 
Sierra

Definitely self-leveling trim tabs. It's a nice boat but the ride will be squatty without them.
Synthetic teak or one of the cooler rubberized versions is a nice touch, even if only done in a few key spots to enhance the looks and minimize foot dirt - and easy enough to template and do yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:57 am 
All Night Long

Thanks Sierra. Yeah, I've been thinking a bit about those. Whatever motor I go with will have a stingray on it, and that might help. I will definitely look at the smart tabs as well. I think Bennett makes a set similar to the nauticus one's now.

I have been looking at a tach/hour meter combo to mount in the console. I'm thinking about a Faria Chesapeake. Any idea if this will (or won't) work? Says it's rated for Gas outboards. I can't imagine why it wouldn't?
http://www.imarineusa.com/fariachesapea ... board.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:53 pm 
Sierra

Dunno if the tac will work but that would be a low priority for me (though nice to have). The stingray is a must but the trim tabs are as well. If you're doing it up I would definitely go for a fixed VHF with DSC and fixed GPS/depth sounder, probably a Garmin. Obviosly an appropriate anchor and ground tackle.

It's a fun project outfitting your "extra" boat - enjoy. And congrats on the DB. That's the boat that made me know I would one day own a big diesel bridge boat. It's a terrific platform and should serve you well for years to come given your appreciation for what it takes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:12 pm 
All Night Long

Thanks Sierra. I personally like having a tach, and I also wanted an hour meter.... so for about 100 bucks, this is an easy thing to add... I totally get it's low on the importance list of other items!

I have a handheld vhf that I keep on the boat as a spare/2ndary. So, I'll probably repurpose that for radio support.

For a GPS, I was thinking about putting a garmin 70s touch screen on top of the console. There's a nice little spot for it. the 50s is nice, but the 70 is only a few bucks more.

Then there is the question of some LED courtesy lighting... I have 2 accessory switches that are currently unused. I was thinking about some LED's that mount on the console and shoot down for courtesy lighting... and maybe an underwater light off the transom if I can find some room for it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:45 pm 

Keep in mind if you want the Tohatsu in that size but there is no local dealer, the small Mercs are re-branded Tohatsus. Local West Marine stores sell em.
I would not be against getting a carbed motor in that size IF, and that's a big IF, the engine will run well within the factory carb settings. We had a similar problem on our little bitty DF 2.5 'Zuke, what happened was that the factory had it set really lean. It just would not run right. I was itching to remove the tin cover that covers up the mixture screw. Well guess what, the second time I took it in, the factory Zuke rep did exactly that. After that, it ran great no issues at all. A good running carb engine will always be cheaper to maintain than an FI engine esp if you are forced to use E10 gas as we are.

Looks like Zuke makes models with EFI all the way down to 9.9 hp. So if you want that in a 20 or 25 hp they do build it...

http://www.suzukimarine.com/Product%20L ... dsize.aspx

Here are the Tohatsu/Nissans, I noticed that these weigh quite a bit more than the Zuke in the same HP ratings.....the 20 hp models are Carbed....

http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Tohatsu- ... oards.html

The 25 and up models are fuel injected....

http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Tohatsu- ... nd-up.html
http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Tohatsu- ... oards.html

Personally I'd go for the Zuke it is considerable lighter for the same HP as long as you can get good service.

For what these cost I could get a brand new GM marine crate motor for the old boat LOL......

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:59 pm 

O vote for the 60 hp Yamaha tilt trim on a jack plate

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:53 pm 
All Night Long

Jdpber wrote:
O vote for the 60 hp Yamaha tilt trim on a jack plate

And that would be the winning combination! Dangerous as hell, but pretty awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:12 pm 
All Night Long

Operation Accessory Acquisition has commenced. Got a Garmin 70s touch screen w/transducer on order along with 3 Lumitec Aruba Courtesy LEDs and my tach/hourmeter combo. Still looking at some underwater lights, some bluetooth stereo solutions (maybe wetsounds this time?), and some other odds and ends...

There is a weird lip off the back of the aluminum hull transom that is going to make simple mounting of some smart tabs a challenge. I'll have to build some spacers and push them out a bit. So, that project got kicked to the back burner until the boat is in my garage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:10 pm 

60hp YAMAHA

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11