www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:59 pm 
Minnow

So i may be relocating from so cal to san antonio. What are the good lakes around there? It seems as though there is a fair amount in the general area.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:36 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Canyon Lake is nearby and awesome clear water with party cove. Plus they have a marina restaurant with a five pound burger.

Lake LBJ not too far and its a constant level popular larger lake. Lake Travis nearer Austin but they've been battling low levels outside river channel.

Wish Canyon lake was closer. They're several others but these are deeper clear water lakes and popular boating spots.

In winter you are only few hours from prime deer hunting or hanging out at old town Kerrville, sea world, fiesta Texas, river walk, Alamo and awesome Mexican food. The bads are the highways that were apparently engineered by the town drunk.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:50 pm 
Minnow

haha, engineered by the town drunk, that's pretty funny. Do you happen to know areas that would be desirable to live in and places to stay away from?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:29 pm 

Not enough to be comfortable in making a recommendation. I live about 3 hours east of there. I like having space and am not a subdivision dweller. I know west of San Antonio is developing with nice homes. Towards Boerne Tx is nice but pricey.

I attend a couple conferences in old downtown district and pass thru San Antonio on way to ranch in west Texas to hunt.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:26 am 

The highways here aren't bad...a LOT better than Austin!

As for lakes, Canyon is the one to go to now. Medina Lake is just west of SA, but is currently about 85' low. Which sucks because it was a beautiful clear water irrigation reservoir with limited access (no free public ramps). Canyon Lake has no less than 6 free ramps with a few more that typically close as lake levels drop. But it can also get crowded during the summer. With all the boat traffic in the summer, the main travel corridor of the lake can get really choppy and rough. That's why the sail boats typically are only out in the mornings.

Lake LBJ is about a little over 1.5 hrs north of SA off HWY 281 near Marble Falls. There actually are a couple lakes up there tied together, but LBJ is the constant level lake. It's good and long but the water isn't as clear as Canyon. LBJ is where they hold the yearly speed boat races.

Lake Amistad is about 3 hrs SW of San Antonio just outside of Del Rio on the Tx/Mexico border. It is a big lake that fluctuates with the water levels of the Rio Grande but always has water. It's pretty deep in most areas. While it's not known as a big recreation lake, it is nationally known as a big-time Bass fishing lake!

Choke Canyon Lake is about 2hrs south of SA but I would not go there unless you plan to fish only. The lake is known for bass fishing and is not very deep. There is also a lot of underwater trees and cover that if you don't know where you are going, you'll tear stuff up quick! They also have alligators there. The state record alligator was killed there by a 17 yr old kid and his Dad in 2013: 14.5 feet!!!

As for areas to live in SA, I love and live on the NW side near IH-10 and Loop 1604 (outer loop). Great area. Although they are currently reworking IH-10 there now. The popular growth areas are basically anywhere outside of Loop 1604 stretching from the Seaworld area (West side) all the way to IH-35 on the NE side. With the area btwn IH-10 and Hwy 281 being the most expensive.

Traffic on Hwy 281 btwn Loop 410 (inner loop) & north of Loop 1604 is the worst! That 10 mile stretch can take over 45 mins during rush hour!!!

Welcome to San Antonio! If you're here before April, you'll be just in time for Fiesta!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:30 am 

TX H210SS wrote:
I attend a couple conferences in old downtown district and pass thru San Antonio on way to ranch in west Texas to hunt.

How far out west do you go? I hunt in Leakey, Tx sometimes but mostly in Comfort, Tx. My place in Comfort is 45 mins from my driveway to the cabin!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:56 am 

I hunt just north of Junction and your right about the Austin highways. They're designed by the drunks wife...she's a crack head.

Its mind numbing that as you take I10 thru San Antonio, it bottlenecks to a single lane ramp. Has to be the only place from Florida to California that I-10 is one lane.

Anyway, I think pound for pound San Antonio has more to offer recreation wise than most places. We need a tropical storm to get Travis back to full pool.....that place is depressing to see.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi