www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:25 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I have been watching this "slow train wreck" for a while now and he is about to launch. The guys on http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index. ... 26442&st=0 are having a blast with this build.

Butte County man builds huge yacht at San Rafael's Loch Lomond Marina

Posted: 09/12/2011 04:04:38 PM PDT

A giant yacht that a father and son are building at Loch Lomond Marina in San Rafael has captivated the neighborhood's imagination, with shoppers at nearby Andy's Local Market keeping daily tabs on its progress.

James Lane, 50, and his 26-year-old son, Michael Johnson, began working on the 65- by 32-foot catamaran in June 2010 in Butte County, but moved the partially constructed vessel to Loch Lomond this spring.

"We should put it in the water in about 30 days," Lane said, as he showed off the nine-bedroom, three-bathroom 3,200-square-foot boat on a recent afternoon.

The yacht, which Lane will call the Flying Hawaiian, features fiberglass over wood construction and boasts two kitchens and a gym. It weighs about five tons and has so far required 700 to 800 pounds of screws, Lane said. Sixty-five-foot catamarans typically sell for anywhere from $500,000 to $2 million or more.

"This boat is going to be two times the size of most people's homes," said Lane, a master craftsman who has never built a boat before. "I spent three years on the design of this. I've looked at thousands and thousands of yachts."

Come late October, Lane plans to move aboard the Flying Hawaiian with his mother, Johnson, several other people and one pet Chihuahua and travel to Mexico, Hawaii, the Samoan islands and New Zealand.

He doesn't plan on coming back.

"We're going to island hop until we get bored," Lane said. "We've got plenty of music

and plenty of fishing gear and plenty of time."

The group hopes to make money by renting out the yacht or taking tourists out on the water. A small generator will power the boat's "gel cell" batteries each day, he said, adding, "It's about the freedom and the lifestyle — it's fresh food and good living."

Yachts can be quite large — with some measuring 110 feet in length — but locals have been particularly interested in Lane's boat because it's unusual to see such a large vessel being constructed in San Rafael, Loch Lomond Harbor Master Pat Lopez said.

"People are curious, just very curious to see it because it's so unique," Lopez said. "It's something that we don't really see around here too often."

About half the customers at Andy's have been talking about the plus-size vessel, providing daily updates on Lane's progress, said Patrick Crowley, the store's general manager.

"If they don't ask about it, what it is, they talk about the size of it," Crowley said. "It's a conversation piece, and everybody wants to see it get launched because that's awfully big to get moved to the dock.

"These guys, they're just going to go sail around," he added. "It's kind of exciting in a way."

Resident Jim La Fleur, who lives a couple of blocks away, said he and his family were stunned to see the progress Lane and Johnson had made on the boat when they returned from a month-plus trip in August.

"I haven't seen the animals coming two by two, but it won't surprise me," said La Fleur, 44.

"I'm really looking forward to seeing if it works," La Fleur added. "I admire his optimism and his drive to do something like that."

Meanwhile, Lane said he's busy preparing the boat for water and would welcome any spare parts residents want to donate. The Flying Hawaiian won't look quite so enormous once it leaves the marina, he added.

"When you're a little speck out in the water, it doesn't feel that big."

Copyright 2012 Marin Independent Journal. All rights reserved.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:31 pm 

More recent photos.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:51 pm 

WOW, just Wow!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:24 pm 

Oh wow that is a giant brick with a mast. The only thing that looks good is the rear stairs. The bow is how can I put this.... Bad,,

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:39 pm 
230 Mike

Looks like it was made of Legos. I give them an A+ for effort and initiative, but I just don't see how something like that can be a good idea long-term.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:07 am 

:shock:
It gets more scary the more you read about it. Made from 2x4s, lag bolts, and deck screws from Home Depot.
Might be ok for a stationary house boat, but if he tries to sail that thing on the ocean, I just hope he's smart enough to put a life raft and an EPIRB on board.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:04 am 

JeffLW wrote:
:shock:
It gets more scary the more you read about it. Made from 2x4s, lag bolts, and deck screws from Home Depot.

That is why a lot of those experienced builders on that sailing forum don't think it will make it to the water. Even if it does, there is no way it could withstand the ocean. I like this part of the article:

Quote:
Come late October, Lane plans to move aboard the Flying Hawaiian with his mother, Johnson, several other people and one pet Chihuahua and travel to Mexico, Hawaii, the Samoan islands and New Zealand.

He doesn't plan on coming back.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:19 pm 
Shark

It's amazing to me what some people will do...

I do admire his...well...nothing really but thanks for posting this. I did enjoy reading it!

5.7L OMC Cobra
'01 F150 4.2L

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:46 pm 

298VISTA2000 wrote:
[b][i]Butte County man builds huge yacht at San Rafael's Loch Lomond Marina

Posted: 09/12/2011 04:04:38 PM PDT
...began working on the 65- by 32-foot catamaran in June 2010 in Butte County, but moved the partially constructed vessel to Loch Lomond this spring.
..."We should put it in the water in about 30 days,"
...Come late October, Lane plans to move aboard the Flying Hawaiian with his mother, Johnson, several other people and one pet Chihuahua and travel to Mexico, Hawaii, the Samoan islands and New Zealand.

He was planning on launching 30 days later. As of today (two years later) it is not in the water yet. ...but getting close :shock:

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:42 pm 

Here is a local story of a guy who took 26 years to built a cement ship here on the Cape, then sailed it to Halifax, Nova Scotia where is sank. I remember driving by this thing for years as a kid until adulthood! It was a cool looking boat, but ended up being in a real sh1tty situation... (sorry I had to) :lol:

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20031021/NEWS01/310219963

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:49 pm 

This guy need to add a car port metal tye down straps to anchors, a mail box and take up perminant residences land yacht is about all that should ever happen to this THING first off sheet rock screws for HD are a no go. Needs be SS hex head split tooth screws. And cold molded, not glazed per with glass I mean tis sucker would fall apart in MUDD puddle, talked today tonight. He has his 500 Tom catainslicence a d has been accreditedarine surveier per 20years and retired Harbor pilot. He knows nothing of boats hahaha.he said " i would not even set foot on that bond fire" they waisted there money.

3 bourbons later he pipes up. "Are you serious someone spent money and time building a shity brick? Hope the bond fire has pretty colors....

I laughed my butt off

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:45 am 

john55c wrote:
Here is a local story of a guy who took 26 years to built a cement ship here on the Cape, then sailed it to Halifax, Nova Scotia where is sank. I remember driving by this thing for years as a kid until adulthood! It was a cool looking boat, but ended up being in a real sh1tty situation... (sorry I had to) :lol:

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20031021/NEWS01/310219963

At least his yacht floated until it was rammed. The poor schlub building this contraption will be lucky to even make it to the water.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:29 pm 

UPDATE 05/22:

HotRod (as the sailinganarchy.com members affectionately call the builder/captain) is very close to launching this monstrosity any day now so here are the latest pictures compete with author comment:

I have been working from home the last few days so I haven't passed the marina since Thursday afternoon. So today on my way out I stopped to have a look see if there has been any progress. There wasn't anything much going on outside, but someone from inside spoke loudly to an arriving visitor that he was "glassing the bathroom." If I have a chance tomorrow I am going to bring a six-pack by and see if I can't get a tour.

I did snap some photos

A majestic profile?

Note the black bottom paint covering most of the diamond plate bow plates.

Bow on. Note that it shows the back end of the improvised trailer. In several places on this thread there have been comments doubting that there was a clear route to the launch ramp from the building site. Well, I don't know if the boat will stay on the trailer, or intact as the whole thing moves, but I am pretty confident that all other things being equal there is sufficient clearance along the short route to the lauch ramp. I paced it all off and while there are some tight spots it should make it to the ramp and likely in the water. Balance on the trailer is going to be critical as the three axels are about at the center of the whole package. The axel position should make the turns that are necessary possible if everything holds together.

The aft deck and the starboard steering station.

As indicated by others that is a bronze anodized patio door and the little ship's bell on the port side. Visible through the window is the Mizzen mast compression post that appears made from doubled up 2x4s.

Starboard rudder painted, mounted and "ready" The rudders are about 1 or 11/4 inches thick and flat as, well..... a board. The port rudder was on a couple of blocks with a fresh coat of roughly coated epoxy applied. It would seem that they are made from plywood with 1- 1/2 inch pieces of solid wood edge laminated fore, aft and bottom. The bottom sections appeard to be made of a darker "hardwood" material.

Here's the mounted rudder edge on. If you look closely it appears to be slightly curved. It was a very breezy day and I'd swear that the thing was bending in the wind.

The comments on this thread are hilarious: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index. ... 42&page=15

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:51 pm 

298VISTA2000 wrote:
The comments on this thread are hilarious: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index. ... 42&page=15

LOL. Here is a comment from that page:

Quote:
So, nobody expects it to fall apart as a result of an a-la-Oracle pitchpole? After all, they're both big cats, aren't they?
Maybe the big hush-hush secret that nobody knows yet, is that this is the prototype for the new, less expensive successor to the AC 72 that will generate massive participation in the America's Cup. Just imagine an AC with a hundred of these things on the Bay! With wing sails of course, in the competitive version.

Reasons for the Hotrod 65 to replace the AC 72:

1. The America’s Cup is about pushing the design frontiers of sailing.
Check; this boat does that. In spades. Hot Rod boldly innovates where hundreds of yacht designers have never gone before.

2. The America’s Cup nowadays seems to be about NASCAR-style crashes and boat failures, but with less crew safety or protection.
Check; this boat seems poised to break new ground in the crash and burn department, especially if it’s given a competitive wing sail rig.

3. The AC is in danger of not delivering the goods to its sponsors and needs new sponsors.
Check; this design is a natural to bring new sponsors to the AC. Goodbye Louis Vuitton or Rolex or whoever; hello Home Depot, Harbor Freight, Wal-Mart, Duck Tape, and Georgia-Pacific!

4. The most pressing need of the America’s Cup is to make the designs more affordable and to increase participation. And many Cup fans long for a return to competition between nations.
Check; this design will allow for a huge increase in the number of teams competing on the Bay. Even countries as diverse as Uganda, Mongolia, San Marino, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Albania, Lesotho, Paraguay, Papua New Guinea, Bangladesh, and Mississippi will feel encouraged to submit entries with this revolutionary new AC design. It’ll obviously be the best AC ever!!!

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:37 pm 

I've been following that crazy build. Such a waist of materials and time.

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next