www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:32 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Just looking to see if there is some genius out there who has figured out the perfect method of storing trash that accumulates throughout the day. We typically have 3-4 adults and 3-4 kids and spend a day or two out at the local boating hangout. After we have several cocktails, and we make meals and snacks..change a couple diapers, and pick up the trash the idiots left before us (who the hell brings glass bottles to the lake?) I end up with a bag tied either to my bow rail for easy access from the beach, or tied to my cabin door strap or both. I feel like there must be a better way?

So where do you all keep the trash bag for use during the day? I know some of the bigger cruisers have a dedicated spot for that, but I don't?

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA
1996 Four Winns 238 Vista Dlx 5.8Fi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:16 pm 
Dolphin

Had the same problem on previous boat. We used our fabric fender bags, hanging from the rails to keep extra trash (contained in plastic trash bags). As long as sweet items are not included (attracts bugs), it works to supplement the limited space you have + the utility of the bags to contain fenders. Most fender bags come in pairs or 3's and hold a lot of trash, or wet towels, or whatever.

Four Winns 348 (2005)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:01 pm 
Villiage Idiot

I keep a 10 gal trash bag in the ski locker (we keep a whole box of them in the boat, but only the one in use in the locker). We usually have lunch as soon as we launch, so we tend to accumulate food and stuff so I like to have some place to keep it secure and out of the way, yet easily accessible.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:45 pm 

Trash goes into a small "under desk type" trash can that fits perfectly under one of our back to back seats behind the foot rest rail (locked in place essentially). Empty beverage cans ($0.10 deposit here in MI) go into several plastic bins that fit nicely on the shelf under the gunwales, or right back in the cooler. Excess trash is bagged into small trash bags and stored in a bin under the center cushions in the cuddy, in the cooler ("clean trash" only), or in various other locations.
The key for our family of 6 is to take minimal "trash" with us in the first place. We avoid paper plates, cups, etc. Tervis tumblers are used for the day and brought home. We have a set of melamine plates that live on the boat in the summer. (fit perfectly under the built in cooler in front of front port side seat (have a cool liquor / wine rack built into that door too!) When plate is empty, brush crumbs in the lake, rinse in the lake (fresh water, clean enough- never any health issues) and dry with towel. Food in the cooler is packed in ziplocks or tupperware, empty ziplocks or tupperware goes back in the cooler. Etc.
Grill tools are washed in the lake with a sand scrubbing if needed too!

5.0L Mercruiser, Alpha 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:59 pm 

On the H210 / 2008 model the rear useless fold out seat has storage under the port and starboard sides. Good idea if you could get into them with trying to lift the entire year bench seat....really a dumb setup in my opinion....so I put a large bag in there and pull the top thru a pass thru hole the leads to the middle seat which is hinged. Works ok but not great.

Anchor locker would be great place if I didn't need to use it for the anchor.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:54 pm 
Clownfish

Same issue here, our Vista has two built in trash bins, but they are seriously undersized. I think I have larger trash cans in my bathrooms at home. There just doesn't seem to be anywhere good in the cabin or cockpit to keep an adequately sized trash bin.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:59 am 

We bought a PVC laundry hamper frame, then put a full size kitchen bag in it - it can then be hung over the rail on an S hook or bungie, or carried to the beach.

It looks like this - but with a trashbag in it. http://www.whereibuyit.com/pvc-laundry-hamper/

After we are done I can take it apart and stow it under the seat. We then use the mesh bag it came with for towels and swimsuits to take inside the house when we get home.

2013 Dodge Durango HEMI

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:17 am 

Thanks for all the responses!

Obviously we have no ski locker and I forgot to mention the bags aren't the problem..one nice thing we get from our national park is free trash bags at the launch ramp.

We try to take minimal trash, and pre-wash our stuff in the lake then use the sink to wash with soap.

Love the laundry hamper idea! Makes me think I should be able to make myself a nice setup, that also collapses for easy storage.

I'll post back when I build it.

Thanks again!

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:54 am 

I thought about building my own - but when I found out the price of the connectors were 2x what the kit cost from Wal-mart, I went with the Wal-mart version. The Wal-mart version is $12, and comes with the mesh sack.

2013 Dodge Durango HEMI

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:08 pm 

perfect. $13.47

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Honey-Can-Do-One-Bag-Mesh-Hamper/15641336?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs_top&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=GDwLx1CLhv1k1K1Dym8q6Q&category=&client_guid=ab101c24-89f1-407f-87c2-bb39a35dd035&customer_id_enc=7ce3ba4b-cc5f-458a-a65f-b314aae16ec2&config_id=2&parent_item_id=39896493&parent_anchor_item_id&guid=8cfa7e9f-385d-406d-b5dc-122dd4ce635e&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.0&findingMethod=p13n

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:58 pm 

Just toss it in the lake... :D
Our 2 trash bins are tiny and only hold like 2-3 beer bottles. so the bottles or cans usually go back into the cooler to get recycled and I use a large kitchen bag in those tiny trash bins so when I take them out I have extra space for cleanup.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:19 pm 

babbot1 wrote:
Our 2 trash bins are tiny and only hold like 2-3 beer bottles. so the bottles or cans usually go back into the cooler to get recycled and I use a large kitchen bag in those tiny trash bins so when I take them out I have extra space for cleanup.

The Funship also has a small trash can. I used an X-acto knife to cut one side out of it so that I can tie a larger trash bag around the top of the can (I buy the bags with the red ties) which then hangs through the hole in the can to hold more trash. A bit of a hassle, but works fairly well...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:55 pm 

i used to (before the new larger anchor and billion feet of chain) put it in the anchor locker as it has a drain and easy to access once home on the trailer. I think i am going to move a couple life jackets from the middle U cushion in the bow and use as a trash compartment for this summer.

I like the mesh basket idea.

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:57 pm 
Shark

Some nice ideas here! We keep a box of trash bags on the boat. The trash bag we're using stays in the ski compartment while underway and tied to the windshield support when we're sitting still for a while. The ski compartment on my H260 is huge.

1984 Century 5000, Merc 260 Alpha 1
2012 Yamaha VXR

Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:35 am 

I got a lot of "You planning on doing laundry?" quotes the first few times I brought it out. I have replaced the longer tubes (two got broken the second trip out) as they were really cheap PVC. since then it's held up really well. I have thought about running a bungie through the top and bottom - like how a tent-pole works - to keep parts from getting lost.

2013 Dodge Durango HEMI