www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailering Permits
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:11 am 
email admin your custom rank

As I have honed in on a new boat, I will need to transport from upstate NY to Detroit.

My question lies on towing permits. The beam on the new boat is 9'2", the big PIA seems to be Ohio, their limit is 8'6", and the last thing I want to be dealing with is getting stopped by a trooper in a company truck with a boat that's 8 inches wider than the limit. They require all kinds of paperwork.

Has anyone who tows a larger vessel gained a permit in New York, Ohio, or Michigan? I was thinking of just taking the risk, as the boat is only 28ft not 30+.

Any thoughts?

Past: 1989 180 Horizon

http://www.robcamerondesign.com

Post subject: Re: Trailering Permits
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:26 am 
All Night Long

are you sure you need a permit? You might just need to slap a big 'oversize load' sign on the back of the boat, stay on main interstates, and travel during daylight hours...

edit: Bing is your friend: http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/Op ... ERMIT.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:28 am 

As I recall, when I hauled my boat through Ohio, I had to get a writer on the insurance stating I was covered for a certain amount (I guess in case I hit a bridge or something). Most single trip permits cost on average about $20-$30 a state. I typically, when going somewhere for the first time, pay a company to help me get my permits and routing squared away. You can check them out at http://onthemove.us I would recommend calling them though if you want to go that route.. Truthfully, on your beam, I probably wouldn't even bother with it.. Unless you do something to generate attention, most cops are not going to stop some random guy hauling his boat, and even fewer are going to be able to tell your over-width by 8in by eye balling it going down the road. Even if you got stopped for speeding, I'm doubtful that a non DOT cop would even think about your sizes, and then, if questioned, you can always just play dumb... I don't permit my boat when going to and from my home town to the lake, because I know the route, and several cop friends have said they've got better things to do, than stop some guy taking his boat to the lake.. Was with a friend and their boat one year, changing a tire on the side of the interstate, and their boat was marked and flagged properly, and is very definitely oversized, and the trooper that stopped to see how it was going, didn't even ask anything about permits, or request to see them.

2004 Four Winns 328 Vista
1997 Larson Cabrio 290 - sold
1988 Rinker Fiesta Vee 248 - sold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:30 am 

cougarcruiser wrote:
are you sure you need a permit? You might just need to slap a big 'oversize load' sign on the back of the boat, stay on main interstates, and travel during daylight hours...

edit: Bing is your friend: http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/Op ... ERMIT.aspx

when you read that page..."Note - the fee for this permit will be $100." :wink:

The issue is the issuing of this permit requires all kinds of paperwork even for this! I was wondering if anyone had any experience in doing so.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:34 am 

I know people that just do it. Most LEO would not be able to tell the difference between 8'6" and 9'2" and if they could tell the difference you would just tell them you were unaware and they would likely let you go. If you stayed on the freeway, I doubt you would get a second look. We just towed our boat 450 miles without a plate and had no problem.

*DISCLAIMER* - my comments should not be considered legal advice :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:38 am 

Yeah, I am thinking of just winging it.

My only concern is the turnpike in Ohio.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:43 am 
Goldfish

I think if you stayed on major highways I wouldn't worry too much about it. Height would be my worry. I towed my 2006 278 6 hours. While it's only 8'-6" the trailer is pretty wide. Like somebody said... they probably won't be able to tell between 8'-6" and 9'.

Take a spare tire ;) I took one and ended up needing it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:45 am 
Goldfish

Speaking of turnpike.. I totally forgot adding 3 extra axles costs a lot more! Ending up costing me $60 extra.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:53 am 

Luckily the boat sits on a dual axle trailer, which might help hide its size.

Im doing some estimations now on diesel fuel/hotel etc vs having it shipped. 9'2" beam is becoming a pain to move!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:00 am 

Parkrat wrote:
Speaking of turnpike.. I totally forgot adding 3 extra axles costs a lot more! Ending up costing me $60 extra.

True. Here in Florida, truck plus 2 axes cost almost triple what the truck alone would cost.

However, I have noticed that in the "Sunpass" lanes, sometimes the equipment misses the trailer, and sometimes it picks it up as 1 axel instead of 2. :D

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:04 am 

NOLV4V8 wrote:
Yeah, I am thinking of just winging it.

My only concern is the turnpike in Ohio.

When we went through the turnpike, the only thing the toll booths were looking at was the number of axles. The Ohio turnpike from the PA border to I-75 I want to say was $34 with the tandem axle trailer and around $20 for just the truck.

Speaking of tires, if they are older you might want to pony up for a set of new tires just to be safe. The owner of our boat did that a couple days before we picked it up and had them grease the bearings as well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:10 am 
Goldfish

NOLV4V8 wrote:
Luckily the boat sits on a dual axle trailer, which might help hide its size.

Im doing some estimations now on diesel fuel/hotel etc vs having it shipped. 9'2" beam is becoming a pain to move!

I saved a little doing it myself. I had to rent a truck to pull mine. Rented a 2015 Chevy 2500 4x4 diesel. To be honest I would do it all over again. It was a lot of fun towing something like that. Figured this would probably be my only chance to pull 9500lbs through downtown Dallas :lol: I liked being able to put to me.. my new boat in the water.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:13 am 
Goldfish

Also, I know I mentioned taking a spare tire, but I would take 2. I had a flat within minutes of putting the boat on the trailer. Then I had to make the trip with no spare... I took a 4 way and a jack.

You can always return one if not used.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:34 am 

Parkrat wrote:
Also, I know I mentioned taking a spare tire, but I would take 2. I had a flat within minutes of putting the boat on the trailer. Then I had to make the trip with no spare... I took a 4 way and a jack.

You can always return one if not used.

In addition to the four new tires, I had one spare tire, freshly greased wheel bearings, trailer lights were checked over/repaired, trailer brakes were checked, I brought my portable hydraulic jack, a breaker bar, some impact sockets, a small air compressor (I added some air to the rear tires when the trailer was attached), misc tools and even added trailer coverage on my boat insurance. Luckily, I didn't need any of it but my luck is I always need something when I am not prepared.

Slide on trailer mirrors for the truck also helped a lot.

Mine is only 24'6" w/8'6" beam and I figure about 6,000 lbs with trailer and fuel.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:06 am 

I get your concern Ohio can be a PITA about traffic laws. In fact they have a specific division of state troopers for enforcement of the motor carrier laws. But I have NEVER seen a private vehicle pulling a boat pulled over by these guys. I think they are after the truckers. And usually making sure they are not over weight and have had the required rest periods. So from that aspect I would have I would have little concern about towing 9'2" in Ohio. I also suspect this is a secondary offense meaning unless you were stopped for another violation they wouldn't pull you over just for being overwide. That being said I would make sure tires and lights are in order not only for safety reasons but so as not to draw attention to your self. Insurance might be a whole other issue. If you were to get in an accident without proper permits etc. could your insurance refuse to pay?

Kentucky has a max width of 8 feet. The beam of my boat is 8'6" I travel through Kentucky (either to Lake Norris or Lake Cumberland) several times a year. Never had an issue. I think it is stupid because there are so many boats that are over 8 feet wide. (If the state of KY was looking to generate revenue they could really push the issue)I figure I'll play dumb if I ever get stopped. I also thought I would argue that my trailer is less than 8'6" (which it is) it is actually the boat that is 8'6" 8)