www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ? Pest Control
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:24 am 
Sting Ray

Hi, I normally keep my 24' FourWinns Funship in my pole barn with "no" mouse issues. I just had a full, waterline cover made due to having no other protection at my cabin 175 miles away. In addition to UV/weather protection, I'm concerned about pests protection against mice, squirrels, etc. Even though it's a full cover there are areas in which mice could get in. Other than leaving off all the tie downs from the cover to trailer, I'm looking further into how to help avoid any potential problems. I've looked at ultrasound devices (link below) which seems to be a possibility. I've also heard of other options such as using moth balls with/without peppermint oil and/or Other products such as Cab Fresh (link below) and dryer fabric sheets. Everything I've mentioned has mixed reviews. What I would like to know from you real world boaters is what works best for you? Thanks in advance for your help. Ray

Ultrasound Device:
http://pestnoproblem.ca/product/aspecte ... -rv-guard/

Cab Fresh:
http://www.earthkind.com/how-to-use/fre ... Ud70RN0xhE

Post subject: Re: ? Pest Control
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:41 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I started a thread last fall and just posted good results from this winter.

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13574&p=134832#p129379

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:24 am 
Sting Ray

Thanks for the link..... Lot's of idea's. One poster stated the use of the sticky mats. I have used them in the past (not in a boat situation) which worked great. I will definitely place a few around the inside. As for moth balls, they do smell bad. I would only place them in the engine compartment as some has stated. With peppermint oil, I have read that it only lasts about three to four days before needing to re-apply. I was really hoping that an ultrasonic device would work, but it appears that they are hit and miss like everything else. Please keep chiming in with your thoughts, ideas and what works for you. I'll add my comment in the link you provided and thanks again for your help. Ray

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:00 am 
email admin your custom rank

Im surrounded by pasture land with 20,000 acres of farm land across the street. If you go to TSC and get some plastic bait stations. Then get some 1 or 2 inch concrete pads and contact cement/glue at home depot...glue the stations to blocks so the stay in place. Load them up with cube poison. This gets the rodents before they enter building.

Spray Bifen on floor and along edges inside....get it at farm/ranch supply....don't think tsc has it. You can throw moth balls too and you should be fine. I have to refill poison stations around every 6 weeks.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 2:50 pm 
Dolphin

Good advice, but use care with Bifen (and other bifenthrin pesticides) near lakes and rivers. It tends to be especially bad for aquatic life, and tends to hang around in sediment for a long time.

TX H210SS wrote:
Im surrounded by pasture land with 20,000 acres of farm land across the street. If you go to TSC and get some plastic bait stations. Then get some 1 or 2 inch concrete pads and contact cement/glue at home depot...glue the stations to blocks so the stay in place. Load them up with cube poison. This gets the rodents before they enter building.

Spray Bifen on floor and along edges inside....get it at farm/ranch supply....don't think tsc has it. You can throw moth balls too and you should be fine. I have to refill poison stations around every 6 weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:33 am 
Tadpole

rapa123 wrote:
Hi, I normally keep my 24' FourWinns Funship in my pole barn with "no" mouse issues. I just had a full, waterline cover made due to having no other protection at my cabin 175 miles away. In addition to UV/weather protection, I'm concerned about pests protection against mice, white ants in sydney, etc. Even though it's a full cover there are areas in which mice could get in. Other than leaving off all the tie downs from the cover to trailer, I'm looking further into how to help avoid any potential problems. I've looked at ultrasound devices (link below) which seems to be a possibility. I've also heard of other options such as using moth balls with/without peppermint oil and/or Other products such as Cab Fresh (link below) and dryer fabric sheets. Everything I've mentioned has mixed reviews. What I would like to know from you real world boaters is what works best for you? Thanks in advance for your help. Ray

Ultrasound Device:
http://pestnoproblem.ca/product/aspecte ... -rv-guard/

Cab Fresh:
http://www.earthkind.com/how-to-use/fre ... Ud70RN0xhE

Hello Ray,
Thanks for these links. This is the great device.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:52 pm 
Seahorse

OK, so everyone has their ways, so here's mine.

GROUND CINNAMON! Buy a larger container at the Dollar Store (no need to buy the fancy brand name stuff, just be sure you don't buy it mixed with sugar!) and sprinkle it on the floor around your boat/trailer. I was told it "burns" their feet so the critters stay away. It's safe to use where pets/children are and it makes the barn smell great!
Tho I never needed to do it, it can be sprinkled anywhere you can sweep or vacuum it up (as long as it stays dry) or be hosed off.
In the spring I just sweep it aside and leave it along the perimeter of the floor and it keeps working as a perimeter "barrier".
I have used this trick to store my classic cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles, boats and lawn mowers etc. for some 30 years and I honestly have never seen a single mouse in any of them! I have caught more mice in my house than I have even seen in my barn! Doubt me if you will but I will always use this method.

Tom
Lake Winnipesaukee, NH