www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:31 pm 
Sting Ray

We are only about three weeks in with our first boat and had a few minutes of drama today. Just thought I'd post about it in case it helps other new boaters.

After about ten minutes of tubing, I cut the engine so we could pull the kids back into the boat. Got everybody in, went to start the engine and NOTHING. Tried the key several times and the engine seemed completely dead. Checked the kill switch: Good. Checked the battery charge: Good. Came very close to signaling for help or starting to paddle and glanced at my throttle. Turns out I had turned off the boat with the engine in idle and was trying to restart it in idle. Popped it into neutral, turned the key again and it started right up!

It was a good reminder to look at every possible cause before giving up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:08 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Neutral safety switch just like an auto transmission in a car only starts in park or neutral

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:59 am 

I've had the same thing happen, had a few minutes of panic before moving to neutral and starting again. The shifter was stiff on my old boat which made it a little easier to happen.

Previous:97 245 Sundowner 5.7GI/SX

Tow vehicle: 1986 GMC 2500 Camper Special 454/TH400

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:00 am 

Yep.. Been there done that.. You will find most of us boaters have experienced the same issues and little mistakes.. Glad you realized what it was.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:23 am 
Dolphin

Your "lesson learned" is also a perfect example for a teachable moment for the rest of your crew. Often, many boaters (usually males, but not always) are the "captain" and are knowledgeable or experienced in operating the vessel. It is a good time to go through a check list with the rest of the family on how to start the boat and operate it in case of an emergency. What better way to teach a youngster than putting it in gear and letting them go through their starting checklist to solve the problem!

Four Winns 348 (2005)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:42 am 

15 years ago, right after I bought my first motorcycle, I did something similar. Went to lunch with my brother and a friend. The bike wouldn't start after. After several minutes, I realized the bike was in gear. Last time I did that lol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:57 am 

Its good you figured it out. I have done the same exact thing multiple times but my panic time keeps decreased over the years because 99.9% of the time its my brain malfunction.
What we say at work is PEBKAC. Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.

Its also a very good feature. My old 9.9 outboard does not have this feature and can be started in gear. I have to be very careful because if I throttle up to much when starting and its in gear away we go and possibly overboard...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:56 pm 

Similar event yesterday with my tahoe. I had it into my dad's shop to replace a front wheel bearing. Before we replaced it, we ran the truck on the lift to listen to all four hubs using an automotive stethoscope (like recently featured in a different thread). When it was all said and done, I backed out of the shop and went to cut the wheel to turn around and the whole truck stopped on me, like a wheel was hanging up or like I was backing a trailer with the trailer breaks on. No trailer, so that was certainly not the problem. I pulled forward and backed up again. As soon as I cut the wheel, it all locked up again. Hopped out and went to explain to dad. He came over took one look and saw I was still in 4 wheel drive. We were running it in 4WD on the lift so we could listen to all hubs. I had completely forgotten about that. Put it back into two wheel drive and all was good again. For a couple minutes, I thought something was seriously wrong!

2005 210 Horizon
5.0L GXi
"Don't Think Twice"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:54 pm 

How much of a risk is it to disable an intermittent NSS?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:03 pm 
Goldfish

If you're the only operator of the boat - ever - as in, no one but you ever has an ignition key to the boat and you're forever vigilant to check every single time before you turn the key that the throttle is in neutral, then it's fine. If you don't think you can maintain this 100% of the time, don't do it.

Probably the best thing to do it replace the switch, which can't be much more difficult to do once you open up the throttle to disable the intermittent one.

previous:
2001 248 Vista

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:51 pm 

LouC wrote:
Neutral safety switch just like an auto transmission in a car only starts in park or neutral

Not quite always ! With the VP EVC system in a fault/ limp mode with no gear selected the tacho stops working and the engine RPMs are low. Whilst nor quite starting whilst in gear, pressing the EVC reset button will allow gear to be engaged and whatever engine RPMs the throttle function corresponds to .

3000rpm and forward gear in the engine launch slings is very, very scary !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:38 pm 

Graham R wrote:
LouC wrote:

Not quite always ! With the VP EVC system in a fault/ limp mode with no gear selected the tacho stops working and the engine RPMs are low. Whilst nor quite starting whilst in gear, pressing the EVC reset button will allow gear to be engaged and whatever engine RPMs the throttle function corresponds to .

So much for progress, did the engineers at Volvo not think of this?

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:20 pm 

LouC wrote:
Graham R wrote:
LouC wrote:

So much for progress, did the engineers at Volvo not think of this?

Worse than that Lou
The shift lever had no detent lever requiring human intervention to prevent accidental selection of forward or reverse gear, or indeed maximum throttle.
They didn't fit a kill cord as standard to the diesels up to until 2010 or so. Unbelievable !
To be fair, VP did offer a proper shifter with an option of a kill cord at a higher price to OEMs, FW chose not to use them. However, I believe VP were reckless in offering a dangerous system as standard.