www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Honey Harbour
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:41 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Is anyone familiar with the area? Wondering if anyone knows good places for water skiing nearby.
We're staying at Hall's Cottages for the first time in Georgian Bay. Looks beautiful, but maybe a bit rocky.
Any random tips appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Honey Harbour
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:16 pm 

I am sure the staff will be able to point you in the right direction.

My guess is you will have a harder time getting away from traffic than you will finding an open area to ski.

It is a very cool area. Grab a chart and familarize your self with the area. That way when you hop in your boat to go for a ride you are less likely to get confused by the markers as you join the flow of traffic.

Also, Google the area I am sure there are plenty of tips for sight seeing.

Just last year we stayed at South Bay Cove Which is just around the corner from where you will be. We boated down from Parry Sound in our 24' Doral. From there we went to Midland and Pen. Lots of beautiful boating to be had in some pretty sheltered waterways. The biggest waves we came across were from big ass cruisers passing by on plane.

Loved every bit of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:47 am 

You mean traffic on the 400 or the water? It looks busy around there, that's why I'm trying to find a off the path spot.
I have the navionics charts I've been looking at. Looking forward to Checking It out. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:28 pm 

Boat traffic is heavy in the channel just outside where you are staying. navigating the area is pretty simple and the traffic was not discouraging to us by any means. by the time you get home you will be planning your next visit.

I am sure if you head south west a few miles towards the islands you could spend the day playing without issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:15 am 

Traffic is very heavy in that area and I can't think of a spot to ski and tube. You could go out towards papoose bay or wannakeeta to have some fun. Make sure you have charts of the area or you will be coming home without a lower unit!

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:26 pm 

We've gone to Lake Muskoka for years, but our place closed down. We wanted to keep going up there somewhere.

I have every intention of coming home with my lower unit! Fingers crossed.
Looks like we'll be doing some exploring.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:27 am 

Well, we made it through the week with no damage. It's a great place for cruising, but unless it's a very calm day, not great for water sports. Found a nice skiing spot in the North Bay/Pleasant Pt. area. This is a shot from Giant's Tomb Island.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:45 pm 
Minnow

Where are you from? We live in barrie and put our boat in at penetang and go to the honey harbour, boseliel, giants tomb. You have to be careful in the honey harbour area as there's no room for error. What's the cabins like there? We've been doing the Trent waterway a lot lately between port severn and Orillia, there's some good spots along there to ski etc.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:32 pm 

We're near Niagara Falls NY. North Tonawanda.
Yeah, it's pretty tight around Honey Harbour. We got there on your Civic Holiday weekend. It was nuts. I have the Navionics app and that was really helpful.
Hall's cottages were really nice and the owners were very nice, but he's got a lot going on there. Like 100 boat slips and a camping area. It was a little too busy for me. Blue Water cottages next door was quite a bit calmer.
There are cottages right in Port Severn also that we saw when we were at the Dam Grill.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:26 pm 
Minnow

The owner of the dam grill and bush's marina helped my wife and I out of a jam when our boat wouldn't start when we were in the lock. They bent over backwards to help get our boat out, drove us to our truck 20 min away and didn't accept any compensation from us. I owe them and have nothing but respect for their generosity, we now go to the dam grill to pay them back.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:35 pm 
Minnow

I wish i would have seen this sooner... not to mention register for this site I've been lurking on for years. MY wife and i have a '98 Sundowner 195 (currently looking for an '03-05 225 or 245) and make use of it as much as we can. We overnight around beausoleil or bone island once a year too. We often go out to Giants Tomb, Hope and Christian island as the water is just spectacular. We have a cottage on Georgian bay a few minutes from lock 45. We are in that larger bay before you go through Potatoe Island channel and do all of our watersports in here. It's usually fairly calm as most of the boat traffic is in the channel to the north of us.

Next year, assuming you come up again, I would recommend heading all teh way our to Christian island and Hope Island. The water is the same color and clarity as Giants tomb, if not better, but there are 2-3 ship wrecks that you can snorkel and it is clear as a bell all the way down to 40ft. It's truly amazing and worth the boat trip, providing it's calm or blowing a light easterly.

Rookiecrew, the Dam Grill is awesome, they take great care of you. We go there on a somewhat regular basis.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:19 am 

We would have liked to get out to the other islands, but the wind wasn't cooperating.
Hope to do it in the future. That area won't be our vacation spot, but I'll go up for a weekend or something just to cruise around some more.
Thanks, and good luck on your boat search!