www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:29 pm 
Seahorse

So I want to see the dunes from the lake. I have done the land portion. When I was sitting on top of the big dune I saw boats down there and that looked like a good time.

Where is the nearest, BEST, launch? I was thinking about launching at Frankfort and running north.

Anyone have advice?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:56 pm 
email admin your custom rank

That area of the lake is stunningly beautiful by boat and weather permitting you'll have a great time. How many days are you planning and which overnight stops? Frankfort looks like your best option for a launch ramp with multiple ramps,large parking lot, and easy access. The onlything Im not sure about is if they allow overnight parking. Might be worth placing a call to the municiple marina to ask them and if not Im sure they could recommend a place to keep your truck and trailer.

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:05 pm 
Seahorse

Well we did the run today. The near shore forecast said the lake should be 1-2 footers all day with sunshine at some point.

Hitched up in GR at 800am, launched at Frankfort at 1130am and headed north to Sleeping Bear Dune National Lakeshore.

Pulling up to the dune

Just a nice shot

We anchored out for a couple of hours then headed north around the point, just to see what we could see. We figured as long as we were that far, might as well head out to South Manitou. Throttle forward and away we go!

I wish we would have had more time on our float plan to explore the harbor and island a bit but we didn't.

Around the south side to see the Morazan shipwreck.

Time to get back to port. Set a heading of 200degrees and throttle forward again. 40mph is a comfortable speed for our 2001 265 Sundowner.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:34 am 
email admin your custom rank

Great pics and it looks like you had perfect conditions for your travels! How was the Frankfort launch ramp....ok for a 268?

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:04 am 
Seahorse

I would say more than ok for that size boat. I didn't look at the ramp to see if it had blockers at the bottoms so the trailer didn't go off the ramp but I think you should be ok. There was a family pulling a Vista out while we were wiping the boat down. It looked to be in the 26 foot range.

The majority of boats being launched and retrieved there were fishing charters, and some large ones at that!

And yes, the water and weather conditions were perfect. I have been waiting all summer for my day off and the forecast to line up and it happened. We just wish we had more time to stay on the hook off the dune. We dragged feet for about an hour knowing we had to get the motor running but just couldn't leave. We were in awe that we are so lucky to first own a boat and second have the luck of living in such a beautiful place.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:26 am 
Dolphin

Yes, that is a very nice run you had there. My boat is not really big enough to do what you did except for a very calm day, but my brother frequently does that trip.

There are several ship wrecks to explore off of Manitou Island, so bring your snorkel gear next time. The island has a protected cove and is fun to hike.