www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:04 am 
email admin your custom rank

Tried posting on the Formula forum, but it doesn't have the traffic like this board always has! I have a few questions about this winter that maybe someone here can provide their experience with.

This is my first year with Heated Storage, as my marina keeps my boat in its current rack for the entire year, in which they keep the building at 60 degrees. My questions are for anyone who also store this way, I am looking for things you have discovered or other types of prep you have done.

I will not be winterizing the engines as both the marina owner and my mechanic said that is the best way to go. However I was still thinking of draining the manifolds and back filling with eco safe coolant, but many have said that isnt even necessary.

I plan to drain the fresh water system just for peace of mind, but should I fill with red pop? Will be pumping out the holding tank as well.

What do you typically do with the batteries? Should I remove them? or just rely on the selector switch as usual to ensure they are off.

If anyone else has anything they can share that would be really helpful! Thanks in advance.

Past: 1989 180 Horizon

http://www.robcamerondesign.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:24 am 

I would take the batteries home and put them on a tender. At a minimum, I would drain the water from the engine and other systems. I would also ask the marina about power/heat backup and then prepare for the worst case scenario. If they have good backup systems, draining the water should be sufficient. If the backups are questionable, using antifreeze might be advisable. This would also be a good time to complete any other maintenance that you plan on doing before using the boat in spring. This way, you can get back on the water with minimal fuss.

My rack storage is inside but not heated. I plan on taking it home, cleaning the interior/carpets/etc., fully winterizing (drain +antifreeze) and completing all of the scheduled maintenance. Maybe throw in a couple Damprids. I will take out the batteries and put them on a tender a couple times per month. Going to have my boat waxed as well. If all goes as planned, all I will have to do is remove the cover and reinstall the batteries in spring.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:56 am 

At a minimum I'd talk with my insurance & make sure that you are covered in the event of a failure.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:54 am 
Sting Ray

I would want to have IN WRITING that any failure by the marina to keep your boat warm will result in the marina paying for ALL freeze-related repairs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:00 pm 
Shark

I would do what you can to make sure your are protected if the heat goes out in the building. The first owner of our boat had this happen and cracked the cylinder block, which required a long block replacement.

1993 Horizon 190 5.0 EFI (Sold)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:06 pm 

If it's a boat you want to keep a long time I'd still winterize it drain the engine and manifolds and back fill with -100 marine anti freeze. That will reduce corrosion and is much better than leaving raw water in it or dry storage.
Yes they have insurance but do you want to have the aggravation of having to replace engines?

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:32 pm 

I would winterize. Even the fail-safes have been known to fail... What if there is a huge storm, 10' of snow on the ground... Ok, bam! Ice on top of it takes out all electric. Gas? Small fire or a leak somewhere and someone says "better safe than sorry" and shuts off the gas for a few days.

So drain it and backfill it, grease everything up real good and be one of the few if something goes wrong on the water in April rather than September, as everyone else will also have to get their boat fixed as well.

I keep my boat in my garage. And even though it's never dipped below 40 degrees in there in the winter, I am not taking a chance.

2013 Dodge Durango HEMI

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:55 pm 

I have done inside heated winter storage ever since I bought my first boat and plan to store the new boat there as well. They also did my engine oil change and outdrive service so I did not remove batteries or add antifreeze because they started the engine to do the oil change after I dropped the boat off in the fall. They also started it in the spring before I picked it up to make sure it was good to go before I picked it up. I'll be honest, I don't know if they actually drain the engine coolant system or not.

I was certainly naïve about potential damage if their heat system failed but luckily made it through the snowiest Michigan winter two years ago and one of the coldest last year with no issues.

I always drained the fresh water system and cleaned the boat before dropping it off.

Previous:97 245 Sundowner 5.7GI/SX

Tow vehicle: 1986 GMC 2500 Camper Special 454/TH400

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:00 am 

I would definitely find out if you are covered in case of power or gas failure. A few years ago my development and surrounding area lost natural gas for about 26 hours when temps were -10F and lower, so gas failure is not out of the question.

I would also get a full boat cover if you don't already have one. Birds love to nest in rack storage buildings and make a huge mess over the winter and it also keeps the dust off. I also take my pros off and bring them home.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:56 am 

97_245_sd wrote:
I have done inside heated winter storage ever since I bought my first boat and plan to store the new boat there as well. They also did my engine oil change and outdrive service so I did not remove batteries or add antifreeze because they started the engine to do the oil change after I dropped the boat off in the fall. They also started it in the spring before I picked it up to make sure it was good to go before I picked it up. I'll be honest, I don't know if they actually drain the engine coolant system or not.

I was certainly naïve about potential damage if their heat system failed but luckily made it through the snowiest Michigan winter two years ago and one of the coldest last year with no issues.

I always drained the fresh water system and cleaned the boat before dropping it off.

Sounds similar to my situation here. I trust the owners of the marina, as they have been running this for over 25 years with no issues, and with the past two coldest / snowiest winters on record in the metro Detroit area the past two years I would assume we will have no issues. It is a risk I am willing to take. Also considering they house over 200 boats in this space, I am trusting that we will have no issues. Plus this is what I pay for, heated storage!

Main thing is she needs to be all set to be sitting in its spot until May as of the 15th.

I am going to scrub down the boat and everything that requires fresh water this weekend, red pop the water system and waste system.

I also have a large winter cover that I will be putting on later in the fall, for the exact reason of keeping the dust out of everything, as I have a few interior bits I want to remove and get sorted out over the winter.

Thanks for the input everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:36 pm 

Draining the manifolds and adding RV antifreeze will prevent corrosion.

Unless you have Gel Batteries I suggest you keep them on a maintainer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:11 am 

alex8q4 wrote:
Draining the manifolds and adding RV antifreeze will prevent corrosion.

For that very reason, I ended up draining the engines and backfilling everything with coolant and red popped the water & waste system just to be safe. Was an afternoon job, but thats the learning curve with a new boat.

Shes officially done for the season. Thanks for everyone's input.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:33 pm 

I would fully winterize the boat. What happens if the power fails, the heating system fails and .............

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:37 pm 

NOLV4V8 wrote:
For that very reason, I ended up draining the engines and backfilling everything with coolant and red popped the water & waste system just to be safe. Was an afternoon job, but thats the learning curve with a new boat.

Shes officially done for the season. Thanks for everyone's input.

Better to be safe than sorry. Rack storage service ends for us at the end of this month so I will be winterizing as well. Where did this season go?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:40 am 
Sting Ray

seems like everyone is using engine anti-freeze to winterize thier engines. i hear some drain the engine block & leave em' w/o anti-freeze. make sense but a little risky to me. i something goes wrong, it could be a very expensive mistake.