www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adding a second battery
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:35 pm 
Tadpole

I recently purchased a blue sea system with the acr. I'm having trouble hooking up the house battery due to the fact I'm unsure if which wire to tie into for the house loads. Any help would be greatly appreciated

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:01 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Start by identifying what loads the boat has, that you would want to have on, when the engine is off. Stereo, accent or underwater lights, fridge, A/C etc. Next, you need to trace their battery+ back to their source. These may or may not share a common BUS with other non house loads. If they do share, now you have to do some custom wiring in order to separate them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:12 pm 

I would not use the Arc system, for many reasons. I would install a dual battery setup. Its much simpler and cheaper and a combiner can be added at a later time. A conbiner will charge ether battery, no matter which battery is in use. :lol:

With the Arc system you can not start your engine on ether battery alone. With a dual setup, you can and you will know that ether battery is up to the task. Giving you full control. On smaller boats, its very hard to seperate house loads to starting. Another reason were the dual setup is good for.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:19 pm 
Tadpole

Thank you guys for the advice. Four winns just informed me that my boat isn't really made for the system that I purchased, with that being said it looks as though I'm going to have to buy a combined switch system.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:51 am 

If you go with the 1,2,Both, off switch which is the simplest way to go on a small boat you have to know how to use it. You never leave it on Both because if one battery is weaker it will pull current out if the stronger one. You just alternate the use of batteries from onto trip to the next. You can use the both setting while running to charge both batteries atvthe same time but do not leave the boat with the switch on both.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:49 am 

vin636 wrote:
Thank you guys for the advice. Four winns just informed me that my boat isn't really made for the system that I purchased, with that being said it looks as though I'm going to have to buy a combined switch system.

That translates to they arent going to tell you how to modify the wiring. Totally up to you how you want to proceed. I have installed that very system in a number of different boats in which is was not an OEM option. In other words, not made for it. Its a very effective system and easy to use, its just a little more complex to install than a traditional dual battery switch.