www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:32 pm 
Shark

So now that the admiral and I have put our two daughters through college and married one off, we are considering purchasing a second home in Florida. Have a trip planned in February to look at some options. Considering condos, town homes and single family dwellings. Looking at west coast, Tampa, Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte areas. Definitely want a boat lift and canal/water access to bay, river or gulf. We are still 8-10 years from retirement, but want to take advantage of low prices and interest. Questions are does anyone have a vacation home in Florida? How do you do it logistically with a boat? Can I leave a boat on a lift for months unattended? Or would I have to be sure to have a garage to store the boat and trailer when unoccupied? Just wondered if anyone else has a vacation home and how they handle such logistics.

1997 Four Winns 203 Coast Runner-150hp Ocean Pro Evinrude
"BONA 4 TUNA"
1986 19' Bayliner Capri 125 Force

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:59 pm 
email admin your custom rank

We just bought a house last year just north of Tampa on a canal with no bridges to the gulf.
When we are there we keep the boat (18' dual console) on whips at the dock, which has power and electricity. When not there we keep the boat on the driveway. Nicely covered/locked up. Neighbors are great keeping an eye on things while we are gone.
We chose a house cuz most condo associations had too many restrictions.
So far we are very pleased with our decision as living on a saltwater canal is a new experience for us as opposed to lake living. The wildlife is awesome!
So much to do down there, beaches, parks, boating, fishing, and such! People are nice there too. We go for a week at least ever 3 months for now as our youngest is finishing high school. Best decision we ever made.
Prices are rising but still affordable, pm me if you have any questions.
Nick

1997 Horizon QXsold
2000 248 Vistasold
2002 Key West 2020WA sold

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:50 pm 

We purchased a condo in downtown Sarasota about 3 years ago and love it down there. We chose to be in the heart of town rather than in a more suburban setting but found a great place directly across the street from the public launch and a 10 minute walk to Marina Jacks (the marina in the heart of downtown Sarasota). Our HOA does allow us to store PWCs on a trailer. There are plenty of developments east of downtown that we really liked that connected to the Manatee River and most had boat slips available. Most owners were up on lifts. The nicest development we saw was the Harborage.

At this point, we are still renting a boat when we need a boating fix but a purchase will be in the near future. I have decided that the Boat Club idea looks great on paper but I would rather own. My choice at the moment is to dry stack (several very nice places within a 5 minute drive). I am not a fisherman so our boat choice of boat will be a 24' -26' deck boat or a bow rider around that size to entertain guests. We have only begun to explore all the canals on the ICW but love the boating opportunities we have. Everyone we have talked to is happy with dry stack and since we will not be there full time for another 7-10 years, I prefer not having the boat in the water when we are not there.

Sounds like Nick has a nice set up as well. We have a friend down in Fort Meyers on a canal but his trip out to wider water is very slow and chews up a hour at no wake speed to get anywhere. I would check your route if you find something. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Joe

Previously:
2007 Vista 258 " Just Right"
2005 Horizon 230

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:35 pm 
Shark

PM sent Sachem.

"BONA 4 TUNA"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:43 pm 

I have never had a vacation home, but as a Florida resident, I have a few comments:

1. There are lots of people that have boats on boat lifts all year. It is rare to hear about thefts from boats, with the exception of SST propellers on occasion. Also, don't make the mistake that some people make in leaving the outdrive partway submersed in the water. Why bother lifting the boat out of the water if your still going to leave the leg touching the water...galvanic corrosion.

2. The strong sun in Florida is very damaging to both interiors and gelcoat. A covered boat lift is ideal, and I would still use a boat cover under the roof.

3. Thunderstorms here can have high winds and torrential downpours. Keeping a cover on the boat without getting a gigantic pool of water in the cover can be a challenge. Good pole supports or bow supports are needed, and they must stay put in windy conditions. Also, Florida's rain and high humidity can encourage mold/mildew growth. A breathable cover (such as Sunbrella) is important for humidity control. (I also use a dehumidifier if I have to cover the boat while still wet. If I owned a cruiser, I would use a dehumidifier in the cabin area).

These have also been challenges to me as a trailer boater with the boat & trailer in my side yard.

Ray

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:49 am 
Shark

Thanks for the sound advice Ray. All of your points are well taken. I've convinced the admiral a boat lift is imperative, a covered boat lift may be a tough sell. Apparently she's more concerned about appliances... :roll: Maybe I can add a cover to the lift if the price is right. Our price range probably has us on a canal or a riverfront, with access to the Gulf. Anclote River has a few options, Charlotte harbor as well. I've boated in lakes and the Long Island Sound, and find an appeal to the choice of a quiet river or harbor day and the option of a Gulf day. Condos are attractive with the lack of maintenance , but most don't have a place to store the boat during hurricane season, when I would definitely take it off the lift for storage. A home with a garage would work, would have to hire services to cut grass and keep pool clean though. Lots of options, trying to gain some knowledge from people who have experience with living in Florida with a boat, especially on a part time basis.

Thanks again for your advice, it is much appreciated.

Mike

"BONA 4 TUNA"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:06 pm 

Never received your pm. Please try again..

1997 Horizon QXsold
2000 248 Vistasold
2002 Key West 2020WA sold

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:08 am 
Shark

Thanks, I sent an email to you.

"BONA 4 TUNA"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:35 am 

I sent you a rather long reply, did you receive it? F not I'll resend