www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:16 pm 
Minnow

https://youtu.be/AxzdexFaG8M
This is a short 3 minute video showing a lot of rust that is appearing on our new V275. I would appreciate knowing if this were your new boat would you be concerned or would you consider this to be normal?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:04 pm 
268 Vista

Saltwater use ?

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:56 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Have you contacted Four Winns and/or your dealer? Are they responsive?

5.0L Mercruiser, Alpha 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:48 pm 

That's poor quality stainless steel. The stern tie downs on my boat are original and it has sat in salt water for a long time. They do not show that rust. There is a bit of rust on the rails, but the boat is going on 28 years old and has sat in salt water and air for at least 15 years. I'd like to know who the supplier is for those parts.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:06 pm 

X2 for the poor quality stainless.

Are the all the fittings rusted, or are the fasteners/screws rusting. Hopefully that latter is the case and you can pressure Four Winns into upgrading them. I am very Surprised to see rust on the bow rail, especially that much of it.

My boat may be in fresh water, but it is also 13 years old. I don't have anything like this on my boat.

I think you are doing the right thing by documenting everything you see. If you have not already, make sure you clearly identify this to your dealer asap, and document the conversations.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:49 pm 
Minnow

RD-Panama wrote:
https://youtu.be/AxzdexFaG8M
This is a short 3 minute video showing a lot of rust that is appearing on our new V275. I would appreciate knowing if this were your new boat would you be concerned or would you consider this to be normal?

Yes, I would be very concerned. Talk to your dealer & I would send that video to FourWinns See what they say. My boat is 6 years old & not 1 spot of rust. Let us know what they say.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:47 pm 

Very dissapointing to say the least. Surely they will make this right and pease keep us updated. That's not normal no how no way and I hope they don't try and sell you on that.

Mine is now 8 years old and zero rust. My prior boat was a Bayliner and was 15 years old when I sold it...with no rust. My bud has a 15 year old Bluewave on the coast in salt and has no rust.

Let us know what they offer up as remedy. Takes away from what should be an exciting time.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:23 am 

Have you had a boat there before and if so, was this an issue? I ask because after watching video again, I don't see any pitting or surface issue.

Just curious if you have high iron content in water you use to wash down with. Like maybe it could be the iron in the water that's rusting. If so, I would guess it would wipe off the stainless easily.

Just pondering because I see no other reports of this and seems odd. Something is going on. Im no expert but will say I am on well water and have high iron content in water...my water filter is rusty and it has no metal in it.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:49 am 

I'm a fresh water boater, but my boat is 31 years old with many original fittings and I do not see rust on any of the stainless.

5.0L Mercruiser, Alpha 1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:55 am 

TX H210SS wrote:
Have you had a boat there before and if so, was this an issue? I ask because after watching video again, I don't see any pitting or surface issue.

Just curious if you have high iron content in water you use to wash down with. Like maybe it could be the iron in the water that's rusting. If so, I would guess it would wipe off the stainless easily.

Just pondering because I see no other reports of this and seems odd. Something is going on. Im no expert but will say I am on well water and have high iron content in water...my water filter is rusty and it has no metal in it.

I was thinking along those lines too. Like maybe they were grinding or sandblasting the iron structure nearby and got some iron powder scattered about. Then rinsed it off but it could get caught in many of the spots that you show.

If this is poor quality stainless, then that is very disappointing indeed.

The only rust stains I have seen on my boat are from the boarding ladder pivot points.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:14 pm 
Dolphin

I own the same V275, 2015, which I took delivery on May 2015. I used it this last season and pulled it out October 15, 2015. I use and moor the boat in brackish water on long Island NY. I wash the boat after each use with fresh water and occassionaly with soap and water. I waxed the boat after it was hauled out before shrink wrapping and did'nt see any rust except for a small amount on the lower swim platform brackets that meet the hull low. I appreciate your post and will look things over with a close eye in the spring time when I open it up again. What I see on your boat really concerns me, I sure hope we don't wind up doing a dance with Four Winns. I will re post with any information I can.