www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:12 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Last week we were on the Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas cruise ship. Late in the afternoon of March 16 we were about 2/3rds of the way from St. Kitts to Aruba, a distance of about 600 miles. An officer on the bridge spotted a small boat (maybe 20-25 foot) with an occupant waving for help. A rescue boat and crew was launched and returned with the boat's 2 fishermen from Dominica, approximately 300-400 miles away. They said that they had been adrift for 10 days due to mechanical issues. The two fishermen were treated onboard and put ashore in Aruba for further treatment and for return to Dominica. They were unlucky to have a breakdown, but very lucky to be alive.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:05 am 
Shark

Wow. Boating must be very different over there.
I'm usually confident of the boat because i'm of a mechanical mindset and always put in the regular maintenance, but in the back of my mind is always the fact that i have two VHF radios on board, along with flares, an anchor etc. etc.
I know help is always a radio call away, but certainly i've never been more than 50 or so miles from land/civilisation, either!!

Last edited by Jsyphil on Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:56 am 

I have reasonable confidence that my boat will get me and my family to where we reasonably would like to go. But in having said that, I'd be foolish not to take into consideration that there exists a variety of unfortunate circumstances that could develop in which we would require some assistance and as such we should at minimum consider these circumstances and have a contingency plan for them that we are comfortable with.

Mike.

- 2010 310 Mercury Inflatable

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:18 pm 

I keep all systems maintained at all times. That gives me confidence that the boat will always bring us home.

That being said, you also have to hope for the best and prepare for the worst. I keep an extra drive belt, IAC valve, duct tape, tools, multi meter, etc. on board for small repairs. For where I boat I'm never more than 20-30 miles from a port. So a BoatUS towing package, backup VHF and our cell phones are about all we would need in case of emergency. I boat in cold water also so on long trips I strap the dinghy to the swim platform. If we ever struck something and went down we would at least be out of the water in the dink.

If I were heading miles out into the ocean or gulf I woul definitley add a sat phone and EPIRB to the emergency supplies.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:19 pm 

We've taken our 248 out to a local fishing hole, appropriately named the 28 mile wreck. The boat was always well maintained, but we carried a second radio and if things were as desperate as those guys. I would have activated my EPIRB! Which reminds me that I have to re-register it for our new boat! :mrgreen:

Previous boats:
2003 Four Winns 248 Vista - sold
1994 Sunbird Corsair 200 - sold
1980 Checkmate Predictor - sold

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:53 pm 
230 Mike

I'm usually the one doing the towing (unfortunately). Most would say I go WAY overboard with maintenance and redundancy, especially considering I only boat inland lakes that many of you (even some of you lake boaters) would consider small. If I were to move to the coast and boat in the ocean, there wouldn't be much more that I could do to be prepared (it would be much more of a trailer issue). The tool bag I carry on the boat is almost too heavy to carry; I have dual batteries plus a jumper pack. First aid, multiple ways to signal, etc.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:03 pm 

As recreational boaters we tend to have the "S. S. Pride and Joy" maintained and equipped with all the tools and toys we want to provide safety, redundancy, security, .......and even entertainment :D :lol:

A working fishing boat in a small island country is not likely to have all the bells and whistles that we would expect to have in our boats. A simple GPS might be onboard, and it might even work. An Epirb, significant drinking water supply for several days, and other emergency equipment and supplies may not be onboard. It is not as likely to be as well maintained either. If it runs and floats at the beginning of the day it is going fishing. Parts and service are very limited.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:41 am 

As someone who grew up in the Caribbean, I can tell you that the fishermen who go out in the equivalent of a dugout canoe with an outboard motor on the back do not carry EPIRBs or even VHF radios.

These guys literally take their lives in their hands doing this

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:26 pm 
230 Mike

A fishing boat I saw in Puerto Rico a couple years ago:

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:59 pm 

Fully trust our boat - we make a 42 mile trip across Lake Ontario many times per year (Oakville, ON to Wilson, NY). That said, I wouldn't feel as comfortable with a single engine. Along with the required safety gear, we have our dinghy on the platform, a waterproof ditch bag under the helm seat with an EPIRB, portable GPS and a hand held VHF among other things. I'm considering getting a sea anchor just in case we are completely disabled in rough water in the middle of the lake. It's happened to twin engine boat owners we know, and in 4-5' close waves - a sea anchor would have saved a lot of unhappy people that day. We also have a pretty complete tool set and some spare parts such as fuel filters, heater hose, windshield wiper, etc + a fuel pump (one of mine has been whining on and off for 2 years).

I figure bringing my family up to 20 miles from shore...you can't be too safe.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:57 am 

Another reason why I like having twin engines.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:39 am 
Shark

It is definitely nice that my boat is for pleasure and not used for a living. I am probably over prepared for a break down whether I am on a small inland lake or lake michigan.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:57 am 

I do the same as most others; am over prepared with enough tools and spare parts to:
Do a tune up including points condenser cap n rotor, change the fuel filter, raw water impeller (possible on an OMC Cobra even with the boat on a mooring).
Extra 2,000 GPH bilge pump with alligator clips for emergencies
Fuses, wiring, terminals and crimping tool.
Towing ins.
Spare VHF radio.

Even with all that its a small open bow non self bailing boat so the weather is always the main factor...

The interesting thing is that the lobster guys use open OB powered boats with low gunnels not much bigger than mine. Some are real ratty with aluminum plate reinforced transoms. I see them out there in all kinds of weather. Brave souls to make their living, plying their trade in the LI Sound region.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:42 am 
Shark

I think the main thing is to have a plan - whether that plan is to fix-in-place or call-for-help or (most likely) elements of both. I carry basic tools and some spare parts, but feel that most of my comfort comes from good communication tools and BoatUS (though not available everywhere). I particularly like the inReach satellite communicator. It's useful for both emergency and leisure communication - and can tell the recipient exactly where you are via gps coordinates included in each text message (if configured that way). It's time tested and used all over the world.

Previously -
1993 Baja 180 Islander