www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transom cooler
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:20 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Has anyone ever cruised with a cooler (yeti 65) on the transom swim platform? We are planning a multiple boat multiple family camping trip on one of the local islands for a long weekend this summer. And I was thinking that a loop strap from my yeti to each of the stern cleats will hold it in place fine. I mean the no slip feet paired with the nonskid on the Spain platform prevent it from sliding as it is. So I figure with a solid strap to each cleat she will be solid.

But I want to know if any one does or has done this as I have never seen it done?

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

Last edited by Jdpber on Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Transom cooler
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:00 pm 

I do it every boat camping trip. Just as you describe, with straps from the side handles to the stern cleats. It does add a load at the back end and getting on a plane can be a challenge, but it's doable.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:05 pm 

Sweet that's what I was wanting to hear, as it would eat up cockpit space and I know we will have people and food in said space.

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:22 pm 

Yup, our boats are loaded to the max with gear - Kind of like this (sorry, I can't be bothered to figure out the picture resizing on here....):
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww57/evilz_fw/iFourWinns/P9290752.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:08 pm 

damn can you even put people in loaded down like that. Your wife brings the entire house. We take a tent, hammocks, grill, wood, and a cooler.

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:53 pm 
Dolphin

We have a 75L Yeti that we often travel with and when not down below or in the cockpit under the table we keep it on the swim platform. My experience has been that small pieces of "grippy" rubber under the four feet keep it from sliding around (even when linked by bungee cords to the rail and cleats). Secondly, despite its superior cold retention, a blanket or similar insulating cover helps immensely when in direct sunlight. Thirdly, watch your backwash wake when slowing down, especially when the Yeti is empty! We tend to tie it to prevent it from falling off the platform, but neglect waves from the backwash crashing the Yeti into the transom. Fourthly, for some boats your rear running light may be blocked. A great cooler overall!

Four Winns 348 (2005)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:32 pm 

efollis wrote:
We have a 75L Yeti that we often travel with and when not down below or in the cockpit under the table we keep it on the swim platform. My experience has been that small pieces of "grippy" rubber under the four feet keep it from sliding around (even when linked by bungee cords to the rail and cleats). Secondly, despite its superior cold retention, a blanket or similar insulating cover helps immensely when in direct sunlight. Thirdly, watch your backwash wake when slowing down, especially when the Yeti is empty! We tend to tie it to prevent it from falling off the platform, but neglect waves from the backwash crashing the Yeti into the transom. Fourthly, for some boats your rear running light may be blocked. A great cooler overall!

1) i have ordered some of the loop tie down straps made of Nylon Reinforced strap. each rated at 600# one will go on each side of the cooler from the built in tie down loops and anchor to the side cleats.

2) a key element to YETI and any cooler ice retention is precool the contents and cooler itself. I tend to always toss a 10# sacrificial bag of ice in the night before boating and tailgating. next i only use cold drinks. these 2 steps help greatly to make ice retention last the maximum. I have a 148 Colman xtreme 5 for tailgates and i put cold beer and 90# of ice in on Friday afternoon and another 20# sat am, this will last till Tuesday, and people are opening and closing the cooler all saturday and tossing in replacement hot beer. \

3) I have yet to have back wash come onto the platform. so hopefully this stays the same

4) my stern light is on a pole that goes in a socket on the starbord rear gunnel so it is protected.

Yes so far i love my Yeti 65. we have used it on 2 car trips, a Steeple Chase Horse Race day, spring football game int he wifes SUV (70*) that day, and so far i have no complaints. now i want a little one and a big big one. but those are on the side burner.

The 65 is a very useful size i feel. Being 6'2" 30 years old and drive a lifted truck on 35s i can sling it loaded up into the rear, But it is the max i would want to throw around solo loaded down without risking my back.

I have the wheels and some steel in my shop to make a set of wheels for it that will clip into the bottom feet for rolling the cooler down fishing piers and whatnot like soccer fields. I will share that project asap the boat is done.

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD

Last edited by Jdpber on Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:37 pm 

Jdpber wrote:
damn can you even put people in loaded down like that. Your wife brings the entire house. We take a tent, hammocks, grill, wood, and a cooler.

Guy trip...And there's no shade where we camp (Lake Mohave in the desert), so we need EZ-ups, wood for campfires at night as it's hot during the day, and cools off quite a bit at night. Plus, we bring a lot of beer...

We make it work :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:41 pm 

for a trip like that i would need my entire boat loaded for me lol and someone would need to haul my tent, wood, exups,food. :lol:

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:37 pm 

The loop straps for the cooler arrived today. Love Amazon prime free 2 day shipping. They are long and need to be trimmed on another day.

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD