All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:25 am 
email admin your custom rank

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:30 pm 
Clownfish

I used to ski a lot for fun as a kid, up til I got married in the early 80's. This was my ski at that time...a 65" Taperflex-

No boat while the kids were growing up, but in 2008 we finally got a new boat. Taught my son to drive and he pulled me up. Leaving the wake, for no reason I fell hard. Got into the boat and retrieved the ski.

The glue holding the layers of wood together had rotted and my ski delaminated from the tip to the front boot, causing me to fall.

Ended up with 2 cracked ribs and that was the last time.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:13 am 
230 Mike

rpengr wrote:
Doesn't everyone have a pair of Cypress Gardens wood skis in their garage or shed?

I didn't think anyone else here was old enough to have heard of it. :wink:

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:15 am 

230 Mike wrote:
rpengr wrote:
Doesn't everyone have a pair of Cypress Gardens wood skis in their garage or shed?

I'm old enough to know but not have skied on one. My dad had one that he used to ski on. A few years ago after getting into boating I asked him where it was. He had gotten rid of it. Found one in an antique store that we are using for decoration now.

Previous:97 245 Sundowner 5.7GI/SX

Tow vehicle: 1986 GMC 2500 Camper Special 454/TH400

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:51 am 

i am 30 and know all about the various models mainly because of my dad. Under the house at my grandparents int he storage room, I think that their is easy 6-8 pairs, fat short trick ski, twins, jump, a few various slaloms. my dad and both siblings were all 3 very much into ski in the 60s and 70s when they were growing up. They even had a custom long distance cruiser. It was a pair of skis with boards connecting them, a lawn chair, a rope hook, and a milk crate to hold a 6 pack of beer with some ice around it. Yes you read that correct! they would put someone in it at a dock and do a dock start and cruise 15 miles or so to the various islands around Charleston SC that we love to go to. With that said you can imagine when i say i grew up having fun, it was spurred from my dad. I have done BayWatch rescue dives at speed off of boats. I have plaid DEAD MAN, this is as dad described randomly the driver will yell dead man and jump off the boat along with everyone else and whoever is last is the dead man. The focus on safety as a teenager in the late 60s early 70s was not high. Atleast by todays standards. Oh to be in the old simple days again.

I think that most anyone that has skied more than with a friend that one time has most likely heard of a Cypress Gardens ski. At least the people that i grew up with have.

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:14 pm 

230 Mike wrote:
rpengr wrote:

I learned to slalom on a set of Cypress Garden Juniors. They became community skis once I outgrew them and were passed along to several families with younger kids. I don't think we ever got them back. I'll have to check in Dad's rafters to see if they ever did show back up. After seeing Rick's picture, I wouldn't ever let them back on the water even if I did find them. Permanent decorations now.

Rick180,

Ouch! I can honestly say I've never seen that before. I was laughing pretty good at your pictures until I scrolled down and read you were actually injured. Glad to hear it was nothing too serious.

Jdpber,

I hear you on the safety. I admittedly have done some incredibly stupid things on boats, skis, etc. And I don't think I could touch the stupid things my Dad and his friends did. Funny story is my Dad had a homemade plywood circle board. They used it similarly like your Dad's lawn chair contraption when not trying to kill one another on it. My friends and I pulled it out a few times, but never did anything too dangerous. My wife has only seen it in the rafters but has heard stories about it. She uses it as another example of "how my parents didn't love me!" LOL. I kid you not, tonight I am flipping through the Overton's catalog and what do I see but a modern circle board they are selling for $500 bucks! Now it's just another example of how my Dad could have been a millionaire with his old inventions stuck in the rafters.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:02 am 

i have no worried with mine other than the dry rotten rear toe strap. AS mine is cut from solid wood and not a lamination.

1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:33 am 
life to the full

I bought a new Radar senate carbon fibre 69 inch 2 years ago. I fell in love with it straight away, and is easily the best ski I ever skied on. The day I first tried it out 2 of my friends had a go on it. One of them bought himself one a few days later, the other friend bought himself one a few weeks later. All of us are in our fifties. You only pass this way once, live it to the full!!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:32 pm 

It's not made out of wood, but it must be old.
( I keep forgetting I'm getting old. :( )
My Sister got it in Florida while she was working in a Ski show. Not Cypress gardens, not sure where.
It's a pretty fast ski. My Daughter likes messing around with it once in a while.