www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:17 pm 
Minnow

Ok, so I am trying to determine with some certainly if I have a small leak. Boat was dried out as best as possible two days ago. Tonight I wanted to put her in the water for an hour to see if I could notice anything while sitting static. The run on the muffs earlier in the week found nothing. Again, I'm not positive I even have a leak. But my bilge has not been bone dry lately.

So, I keep my boat at an in and out service out of Grand Haven on Lake Michigan. Prior to putting it in the water I had it on the wash rack and took a "before" video. This video is here. Note that there is no sound of any snap crackle or popping.

Boat on the rack: https://youtu.be/5_98Fp8FwR4

Then I have the boat put into the water and I tie it to the dock. Check this out...What is this noise?
Boat in the water: https://youtu.be/MXbJbKmhpRw

I thought for sure that this was a leak somewhere, but I googled boat popping, creaking and this noise is discussed on other threads on other boards. Also if it was a leak (if the noises were actually produced by water entering the boat) than this sounds way worse than any leak that I am trying to track down.

Is this normal? Some of you have heard this before? This is fresh water, boat is not bottom painted (it's clean).

Forgive the video quality, the original intent was to look for water entering, I wasn't planned no on posting them.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:31 am 
email admin your custom rank

On the second video, at about the 1:35 mark, do I not maybe see something dripping back there? Could be an exhaust elbow issue, or at least the water dripping from there?

2004 Four Winns 328 Vista
1997 Larson Cabrio 290 - sold
1988 Rinker Fiesta Vee 248 - sold

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:17 am 

It is hard to tell what the noise is....but it does not seem common or normal to me. It almost sounds like rain falling....it does seem like it could be water trickling/coming in somewhere.

When you have the camera under the swim platform that through hull/cockpit drain is well under water. Is that normal? Can you get to that drain line from inside the boat?

It seems like that should be a little higher above the water line.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:22 am 
268 Vista

Have one of the tech's at Barret's look and listen to it, and get his opinion.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:28 pm 
Minnow

Thanks for the follow-up guys.

I didn't notice any additional water in the boat as a result of last nights trial, at least the water never made it to the bilge. I didn't see anything in the video.

To put the leak into perspective. I had the hi-lo operator tilt the boat with the plug out. I collected what came out...maybe 6 to 8 fluid ounces. Half a can of pop worth. The bilge pump has never expelled water for as long as I have owned the boat. I did this at the end of last week, and thus was trying to get the boat as dry as possible before looking at it in the water yesterday.

Regarding the thru-hull openings. These are deck scupper drains exits. They sit about 1" above the waterline with the boat sitting in the water empty, With me leaning over the back they go underwater. The drain is located on the deck. There is one on each side. In the photo below they are located under the red arrows. A hose goes from the drain on the deck to the scupper exits shown underwater in the video. I thought about one of these leaking. If this happened the hull extension would fill with water up to the waterline. Possibly after the extension was full maybe the water could make it way forward and into the bilge where I can see it. I have eliminated this based on the fact that the boat would then list significantly if the hull extension was full. My boat sits very level when in the water.

Regarding the bellows thought. Outdrive was pulled last fall and inspected by marina. Everything got a passing grade. Bellows are 4 years old. Outdrive doesn't get cycled much. I actually raised the outdrive all the way thinking something should change if the bellows was leaking. No real difference. I have a video if that as well. The crackling noise in present in that video as well.

Here are a couple of the treads I mention in the first post regarding the noise. There's quite a few out there, just search "boat crackle pop noise"

http://www.yachtforums.com/threads/crac ... ace.18850/

http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f12/sn ... -3555.html

http://roadslesstraveled.us/sailing-mex ... -at-night/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:52 pm 

I heard a lot of creaking when you stepped on your fuel tank cover. Was it removed in the past and never sealed around the edges again?

Some of the sounds seem like the boat rubbing against the dock, but of course in a video we cannot tell what direction the sounds are coming from.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:16 pm 
Minnow

Floor over fuel tank does creak. I have never had it out. Not sure of previous owner. It is sealed with a white caulk. It was obviously caulked by hand. Not sure if it is factory or not. If you have the secret to curing this creak I would be interested to know more.

The boat does rub against the dock a few times in the video, which produces the longer, louder groaning sounds that you hear.

...but the noise that I am talking about are well describe as snap, crackle, and pop like a bowl of rice crispies, or even small electrical sparking. I will add that the batter switch was "off" for all of this. Plus there is no noise when on the wash rack.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:35 pm 

That's very interesting for sure. Regarding a "water leak" you first asked about...I would think any water leak would be silent... that a snap, crackle, pop would require dry surfaces.

Your second link here:
http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f12/snap-crackle-pop-3555.html
talks about shrimp making that sound. Even some in fresh water caves.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings