www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sigh.....
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:22 pm 
Clownfish

Driving along the shore of Lake Huron on this very cold first day of the year I was greeted by blue skies and the sight of skim ice forming upon the quiet waters. Hard to believe that three months ago the water was 70 degrees and the lake populated by sail and powerboats. My thoughts went to my boat, winterized and tucked away in my pole barn, where it will be for the next 3-4 months until the waters warm, ice disappears and the launch ramps are slid back into the water.

You in the south don't have to deal with such a forced interruption in your boating activities but do not pity us northerners. If anything, it makes our time on the water even more precious and enjoyable for us. As for me, I have my list of little things I want to do to my boat before boating season begins and am looking forward to this new year with great anticipation.

May you all have a wonderful 2018!

Tim

1973 Starcraft 21' Chieftain 120 HP Mercruiser I/O
PADI Master Diver
IANTD Technical EANx Diver
Commercial Pilot
Flight Instructor

Post subject: Re: Sigh.....
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:07 pm 
Livin' the Dream

Well said. I do Believe by being limited does make me appreciate it more

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:52 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Oldav8tor wrote:
Driving along the shore of Lake Huron on this very cold first day of the year I was greeted by blue skies and the sight of skim ice forming upon the quiet waters. Hard to believe that three months ago the water was 70 degrees and the lake populated by sail and powerboats. My thoughts went to my boat, winterized and tucked away in my pole barn, where it will be for the next 3-4 months until the waters warm, ice disappears and the launch ramps are slid back into the water.

You in the south don't have to deal with such a forced interruption in your boating activities but do not pity us northerners. If anything, it makes our time on the water even more precious and enjoyable for us. As for me, I have my list of little things I want to do to my boat before boating season begins and am looking forward to this new year with great anticipation.

May you all have a wonderful 2018!

Tim

Nice post Tim. We too had our boat lifted out and winterized in early October. Currently vacationing for one week in Fort Myers Beach where we enjoyed a half day pontoon boat rental, guided jet ski dolphin tour and a scenic catamaran cruise but this Wednesday Jan. 3 we fly back home to reality. We live in London, Ontario (close to Detroit, Michigan) so we have monitored the weather and know it is bitchin cold and will continue to be until next weekend were we then get back up in temps closer to freeing. Woo hoo.

Happy New Year to all.

Mike.

- 2010 310 Mercury Inflatable

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:33 am 

I agree with Chris and Mike. Very well said, Tim. Those of us that go through a boating off-season either hunker down and wait for next spring (impatiently), or find something else to distract us. We have gotten into the habit of taking a two-week vacation in February or March. I frequently say that the best "cure" for a week of vacation is another week of vacation. You can tell it was a good vacation when you return if you forgot all your computer passwords. You can tell it was a really great vacation if you forgot where you needed those passwords! :lol: :twisted: 8)

Hope your off-season goes well. If you have access to the boat and projects to do, at least you can take a couple minutes to sit at the helm and crack a beer. If not, join the rest of us that spend the winter dreaming up stuff that just absolutely needs to be done....only to find out next spring that some of it just will not work. :?

Best regards,
Gary.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:38 am 

Yep the winter is long here in the northeast and it really does make you get excited the first few warm days in April to get the cover off the boat hear the first fire up of the engine.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/53fv0k4nc8yz6 ... w.jpg?dl=0

Here's my view out back, this was a few days ago, now its completely frozen over and we are in the middle of a wild winter storm with winds gusting to 45 mph.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:05 pm 

I was going to take a picture of the boat in the garage and post it in this thread, but I can't even get to the garage, there's so much snow :)
See you guys on the water end of May or early June....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:47 am 

I've been too busy doing this the last three weeks to even think about the boat. :( Glad we are getting a break this week.
I personally like the downtime in the winter. Gives me some weekends to work on other projects not boat related.

ImageUntitled