www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:51 pm 
email admin your custom rank

We usually tow our 248 quite a few different places over the summer, however this will be our first summer with a permanent "home" for our boat. We rented a slip at a marina that's 2 hours south of us for the season. Although I originally had plans on doing some longer cruises that we have always annually taken in both our 248 Vista last year and our 225 Sundowner prior to that. With our tow vehicle getting a whopping 8 mpg, we have decided not to trailer to as many destinations this year. I have also decided that we probably won't do a long cruise this year. We have always done a 100-200 mile cruise, but its looking to be $4.50 + on the water this year, I just don't see the need to send my money overseas. There definately won't be any free tubing this year. You no pay, you no play. I am not really that harsh but there won't be alot of towing tubes around the lake this year.

I was just curiuos if anyone else has altered their summer plans due to the robbery at the pumps.

P.S. I was thinking about starting a company that would supply fueling stations with a hand dispenser for either Vasoline or some other similar artificial bodily lubricant (if you catch my drift). Anyone want to parter up with me? We'd make a killing.

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN
http://blueoceanlife.worldventures.biz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:06 am 
230 Mike

Well, anyone who knows me will tell you that we never actually USE our boat, so it'll have no effect on us :P .

Seriously, our goal all along has been to trailer around to different lakes and, over the course of a few years, make a decision about where we want to put it permanently. Gas prices may work to accelerate that process. As I always say, it's not boat gas that causes the problem for us. It's truck gas to tow the boat.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:24 am 

I have to completely agree with you. We have towed ours around for the past 2 seasons, and I think we have come to our conclusion that we are parking it this year on one lake. We rented a slip for a hefty fee and are going to keep it there. We will still take 2 trips with it or maybe more if gas $$$'s come down. We always go to Put-In-Bay and we always do a weekend in chicago coupled with a Cubs game.

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:34 am 

We started changing our cruise plans last summer as prices at the dock were in the $5.50/gal range.
We found a great little cove on an island on Georgian Bay about 20 minutes from the marina and just tie up for a few days.
It's very secluded and rarely will we see another boat. The only drawback is that the island has a resident Massassauga Rattler. We don't bug him and he doesn't bug us.
Last season I only filled the tanks twice. :lol:

Georgian Bay, Ontario.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:25 am 
GIDDY UP

I remember complaining about $1.25 in our Baja back in 1998.

I think I'll go ask my boss for a raise to cover the fuel costs this summer. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:23 am 
Starfish

The last couple of summers I have told friends that come to the lake with me that I would provide the boat and gas if they provided the beverages. This wasn't a real good deal for me then, but it definitely won't be when gas is $4 a gallon. We may have to start camping at the lake so I don't have to make multiple trips to the lake and back during a weekend.

Has anyone seen the TV commercial where two guys are in a Civic or Corolla and they pull up to a T intersection? The driver says he will buy the gas if the passenger buys the food (the passenger thinks he is getting a good deal until he finds out the car gets great gas mileage). I think Four Winns should make a similar commercial, but unlike the car commerical, the guy buying the gas would be the one getting screwed.

Woggy, are you slipping at Lake Monroe by any chance? I don't have a slip, but I typically trailer to Monroe or Lemon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:00 pm 
Shark

I was talking to my wife just the other day about this same question. We plan on going to my inlaws a lot. They are on a small lake which is 15mins from my door. They have space for my trailer and extra dock space, so we will probably spend more time there and less time at the lake we usually trailer to, for us it won't be that bad.
It may mean we float a little more than cruise. If it gets really bad I will probably see about hooking a sail up to the waketower!!!

2005 Horizon 200 LE - Volvo Penta 5.0GXi 270

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:29 pm 

Location: Live Manchester England, Boat Aberystwyth, Wales, UK
Not a bit!!!! and we are paying over... 9 us$ a gallon

Dont let the B..........s grind you down!!!

"If we improve with age I'm now excellent"

Ex 1998 238 Vista 5.0Gi SX DP
Lexus RX300

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:52 pm 

BoatCrazy wrote:
Woggy, are you slipping at Lake Monroe by any chance? I don't have a slip, but I typically trailer to Monroe or Lemon.

Yep, sure are. Great little resort but man the screw ya on the slip rental. Where are you located?

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:43 pm 
Starfish

I am on the Southeast side of Indianapolis (almost Greenwood). It's about 2.5 hour round trip which equates to about 1/2 of a tank of gas while pulling my H180. That's about $40 and the tank of gas I burn at the lake is another $80. Luckily I only have a 20 gal tank on the H180. I would probably cry if I had a 50+ gal tank like some of the larger boats have.

I wish I was a little closer to the lake, but then I would just have to drive further to get to work.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:18 pm 

You wish you were close? We drive 2:15 each way to get to the lake. My wife's from Greenwood. I am assuming you bought your boat from Brownies?

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:58 pm 
Villiage Idiot

I hope :roll: mine don't change.
With my new vacation schedule, I get the Friday before Memorial Day and Labor Day weekend, as well as the entire 4th of July week. When I get these "extra" days, I tend to trailer down to LOTO, instead of spending them at the local lake.
Money hasn't been a problem yet... just enough OT to get the "boat-gas fund" healthy, and I only drive 7 miles each way to work. I just need to stop buying EVERYTHING that I think would look cool in my boat :!:

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:06 pm 

BoatCrazy wrote:
I am on the Southeast side of Indianapolis (almost Greenwood). It's about 2.5 hour round trip which equates to about 1/2 of a tank of gas while pulling my H180. That's about $40 and the tank of gas I burn at the lake is another $80. Luckily I only have a 20 gal tank on the H180. I would probably cry if I had a 50+ gal tank like some of the larger boats have.

I wish I was a little closer to the lake, but then I would just have to drive further to get to work.

I'm over in Brownsburg and we go to Monroe almost exclusivly. My wife's family has a weekend place at Raccoon but I can't stand the launch ramp over there. Right now I've got a Sea Ray 185, but am looking at selling it and getting a FW 220. We'll all have to meet up sometime at Monroe. I used to live on the SW Side of Indy, and it was about an hour from my door to the ramp. Now the boat's stored in outdoor storage down the road instead of in my garage...so should be a about an hour and a half I'd say.