www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: So Cal boaters
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:19 am 
Sting Ray

Evilz I just bought my Vista and have it in a slip in marina village on mission bay. Any advice/info for boating on the bay? Where was your signature picture taken?

First Boat:
2000 Vista 268

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:29 am 
email admin your custom rank

Best tip for Mission Bay is to figure out the speed limited areas....Much of Mission is 5 mph max, but there are areas for skiing/tubing, etc.
Mariners Cove (last big bay on the right as you're heading out the channel) is a 72hr anchorage in case you want to spend the night on the boat on the hook, also a nice place for a beach day with family/friends.
Barefoot Bar at Paradise Point resort is a place where you can tie up at the dock and have dinner/drinks.
Anchor/float outside of Sea World and you can watch the water shows and fireworks at night.

July 3rd fireworks are the best and they fire those off from barges in front of Paradise Point. You probably can see them just fine from your slip...

Enjoy!

Oh, my profile picture is taken up at Lake Mohave.

Erik

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:38 pm 

Halloween in Laughlin. Going up Thursday and driving home Monday. Although not ideal, the forecast is sunny mid 80's and that beats the heck out of this misty rainy grey gloom! My last boating weekend this season.

La Habra, California

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:53 am 
Sting Ray

christiantrevor wrote:
Halloween in Laughlin. Going up Thursday and driving home Monday. Although not ideal, the forecast is sunny mid 80's and that beats the heck out of this misty rainy grey gloom! My last boating weekend this season.
I hope your trip went well. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:09 pm 
Starfish

I figured I would check and and see whats everyone plans this this. Anybody been boating lately?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:51 pm 

No boating lately. Did get to enjoy a brief hail storm in Escondido last night, however... :shock:

My local reservoir (Lake Hodges) opens back up for use this week - possibly a Sunday cruise if the weather is nice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:00 am 
Sting Ray

Took some buddies out fishing at the kelp beds just south of Oceans Beach Sunday. Got a little rough in the afternoon so we cut it short, but did manage to land a couple five inch guppies. Still figuring out this saltwater fishing, might have to stick to the other water sports.

PAC Winn
Vista 268

First Boat:
2000 Vista 268

Last edited by Pac Winn on Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:50 am 

Hey Pac Winn - did you move marinas yet?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:00 am 
Sting Ray

Yes sir. I am moved over to the Dana. So far it's been great, that could have something to do with them putting me in a 35 ft slip for this month ha. Not as nervous about a double slip now, I might buy a couple more fenders but hopefully everything works out well.

On an unrelated topic, I attempted to wax my boat this weekend, and like an idiot chose a three application Macguire wax. After 6 hours I still only have two parts on one side. Makes me think I should have paid to have it done, but at least gone with a one part wax. I could barely hold a beer in my waxing hand Saturday night...

Evilz Did you ever make the run from Oceanside downtown?

PAC Winn
Vista 268

First Boat:
2000 Vista 268

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:34 pm 

Glad the Dana is working out for you so far!

I haven't managed to get out for the O-Side to SD Bay run yet, but soon, soon.....

If you haven't worked your way up north from Mission yet, the run up to La Jolla is a nice one! You can float around or drop the hook off of either La Jolla Cove or La Jolla Shores. I usually cruise inside the kelp - you may want to go on the outside - not sure the draft of a 268....

Erik

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:55 am 
Sting Ray

I haven't actually made it north out of Mission Bay yet. We tend to stay in the bay or head down to the San Diego Bay. That is a great idea though, and gives me something to plan out for the next nice day. I also would like to run up to Oceanside sometime and maybe slip overnight. Do you have any good recommendations for places to stay on the hook in the area? Thanks for the ideas.

I would have to check my owners manual, but I wouldn't think the draft would be much over 3 to 4 feet, which should be pretty safe on the inside of the kelp.

Do you know when the season for all these crab pots is over? I am constantly on the lookout for them outside of the bay. I always love the ones placed right at the entrance to the main channel.

Pac Winn
Vista 268

First Boat:
2000 Vista 268

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:42 am 

I dont think there are any options for staying on the hook up in Oceanside harbor, but possibly if you are up for anchoring in the kelp along the shore somewhere....

Here is some info on O-Side guest slips. Sounds like you might be able to score with some reciprocal rights?
http://www.sailorschoice.com/OceansideH ... lities.htm

Be careful inside the kelp up around the Bird Rock (south La Jolla) area - there is some shallow reef up there, but it is easily navigable as long as you pay attention.

Down in SD Bay, the best spot to spend the night on the hook is just past the Coronado Bridge in Glorietta Bay, right off the golf course.
http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1T4GGLL ... CAcQtgMwAw
It's a popular spot for both day boaters and overnighters. It is a scene on 4th of July weekend.

The lobster pots will probably be around into March which is the end of lobster season.

Erik

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:58 am 
Sting Ray

Thanks for the input and the links!

We have anchored down in Glorietta Bay for the day, but did not think to overnight there, which is a great idea.

Looking forward to checking out some of these new places. Have you ever tried a run out to Catalina?

Pac Winn
Vista 268

First Boat:
2000 Vista 268

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:18 pm 

I have done the run to both Catalina and San Clemente Island many times on my buddy's 36' Grand Banks and it is awesome. The ride home with the following sea is one of the most magical trips I have ever experienced. We've had whales surface right next to the boat and dolphin all over the place. I've also made the run from Redondo Beach to Catalina on the 19' Horizon in my signature picture. That was a pretty easy run (19 miles, I think).

The ocean was like a lake this morning, which surprised me with the wind. Looked like a perfect day for a Catalina run!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:21 pm 
Sting Ray

We tried to run out to San Clemente for spear fishing whe I first got the boat in August but turned back because the weather was worse than we wanted to deal with, running with seas is great. We were debating whether to take a straight shot to Catalina from San Diego or cut across from Oceanside after filling up with gas there. I imagine fuel is not cheap on Catalina.

Pac Winn
Vista 268

First Boat:
2000 Vista 268

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next