www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gelcoat Damage !!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:10 am 
Tadpole

Hey folks. This is my very first post, although I have been reading this board for quite some time. I'm a new boat owner and I've learned so much from you guys. So now I have a problem; I brought my one month old Horizon 210 home from a couple days on Raystown Lake, PA. The next day, I took the cover off to let her air out a little. Imagine my horror when I was removing the first cover strap and found that it had evidently been vibrating and scratching the heck out of the hull the whole way home. (about a 2 hour ride) Not only an ugly black mark about 18 inches long, but you can feel the gouge in the gelcoat with your finger. The sight of it almost made this grown man cry! Anyway this is an after market mooring cover, and by no means a cheap one. It claims to be trailerable. When I put it on, I was very careful to to tighten each strap as much as possible. Then I wrapped each plastic buckle with the excess strap to avoid this very damage from the buckles bouncing on the hull. Needless to say, I'm over the grieving stage, and now I'm in the ticked-off stage. I guess i just wanted to get your opinions on whether I should bother raising some hell with the cover company, or should I just chalk it up to a very painful learning experience. How about making an insurance claim? What do you guys do to prevent this?

Anyway, I guess I'll get the damage fixed when I take her in for the 20 hour service. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:14 pm 
Mental Floss

My advise is to leave it for now and deal with it at the end of the season. If it's a new boat to you and you are a new boater you will most likely get some more scratches thru the learning process.

As to the repair. If you are handy you can try it yourself. Gelcoat repair is relatively easy you just can't rush.

If you go to minicraft.com they can sell you a spray gel for the boat since they supply mostly all the gelcoat to Four Winns. They will be helpful and have all the supplies you need.

White is realtively easy. Colored can be an art to match. With a new boat it should be much easier.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:43 pm 
I fix stuff

Agree with you - jvalich.. wait till end of season, I did the same thing 2nd time out, actually it was a pipe on Grapevine.. the scratch is all the down the bottom, stem to stern, small and not completely thru gel. Under trolling motor power - So I am waiting till season is over.

One note be careful if you attempt to buff out with compound, make sure you use a white on white. I attempted with a med conpound, now I have a nice light brown/white scratch for the first 6". - dohhh...

2001 CBR1100XX