www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Four Winns Maintenance
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:11 pm 
Guppy

Hello,
I just purchased a 170 Four Winns Freedom Inboard, I think it has a 3.0 Cobra. This is my very first boat and I don't know much about maintaining it. Like how often you get the oil changed, keeping track of hours, or whatever else it requires. I know you are supposed to get it winterized, but what about after that, is there a service you need to get done to it when you are ready to use it again? Any information would be extremely helpful. This site is very helpful, I'm glad I joined. Thanks. :roll: :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:08 am 
email admin your custom rank

The best thing you could do is to get a manual for the boat. Aftermarket (Seloc) is OK but the OEM is better. Your 1995 could be either the original series OMC Cobra (1986-1993) or more likely the joint venture with Volvo series (1994 and on). Go to an Evinrude/Johnson with the motor serial # (usually on a label on the thermo housing) and see what year the power package is. Then try to get the OE manuals. The original Cobras were good drives but a lot of places did not know how to service them. They need special service procedures that the avearge shop with no OMC experience won't know. So find out what you have first.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:10 am 
Goldfish

I have a 94 190 Horizon. My maintenance schedule is pretty simple and done once a year. I have the dealer change the oil, replace filter, drain water, grease lower unit, check wheel bearings and surge brakes.
in Spring I give it a good wax job, spray on UV protection on the seats, rain-x the windows, scrub any spots on the carpeting, vaccum. check the trailer light connection. The dealer work is about 200 bucks....and well worth it.
i also charge the battery every spring and remove it in winter. during the season I'll check the oil....although it never varies. I carry a spare prop and battery and cables for fellow boaters in distress.

other than that there's nothing special that needs to be done during the boating season. I don't know if you have an hour meter on the boat...mine doesn't have one. But the previous owner said he had about 200 hours on it based on his log. I put on about 50 hours a year.
This year was the first time new spark plugs were put in....and I noticed a big difference. I don't know how often guys change plugs....but in a car you wouldn't think of changing them after 250-300 hours would you? I did and it was worth it.
have fun!