www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:40 pm 
Minnow

What a great forum....Just found it tonight and be a Four Winns owner within a few days.

I have a few questions I hope someone will help me with. A broker showed me a 2004 298 Vista pretty much loaded and very clean boat lift kept boat. At that time I thought the price was a bit high. Anyway they have now come back to me dropping the price in the mid 60's. It has the 5.0 270hp.

So I was really ready to pull the trigger on this boat and another dealer called me back about a 2005 328 Vista. It is powered with the 5.7Gi 280HP. It was a trade they owned and they had it over 110k list price. I told them it could not be an option at that price. They called me back few hours later and dropped the price to the point that it is a great buy.

The 328 feels quite bigger and for the price I am leaning that way.

Question:
1. Should I just go with the bigger boat and does it come with any significant expense than the smaller boat? The price difference less than 20k to have the bigger boat (and it is a year newer)

2. I am a little worried that the 328 with the 5.7 Gi 280HP is underpowered?

3. What is the difference in fuel consumption from the Twin5.0 270HP and the 298 vs the Twin 5.7 280HP and the 328? A Four Winns dealer looked them up for me as he had a 2005 Fact Book and the book had them almost the same at most different speeds. However, would the size of the bigger boat make it use a lot more gas to get up on plane?

4. In general does having Twin motors mean you use 2x the gas? I have heard that it is more like 1.5x the gas over a a single due to the fact that the motors help each other.

BTW- I feel like I am the only person in the world buying a boat right now. These dealers and brokers are desperate.

Thanks for any info... I will post pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:48 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Welcome.

You can look at all the past specs here http://www.fourwinns.com/past_product/specs whatever you decide make sure you have the boat inspected my certified marine inspector before you close the deal. If the larger boat is in your budget go that way. No one I know has ever said my boat is too big and I have too much power.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:02 am 
268 Vista

I have considered both boats as an upgrade someday. Looked over both of them extensively over the last several years. There are many factors to consider, alot depends on your intended use of the boat, how many people you will have on it, and of course your budget.

For us, the 298 is just not a big enough jump from our 268, you gain more beam and twins, but cabin space is only adequate. We prefer the 328 with a wider beam and better overall layout.
I would not consider the 328 underpowered at all with the 5.7's.

So if the 328 price is within your budget, that would be my choice.

Good luck, you have a fun decision to make.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:49 am 
Minnow

I am leaning heavily towards the 328. I am not the kind of person that needs a new boat every few years so if I go with the 328 I may never need a new boat. And the price difference is only about 15k and the 328 is a year newer.

Any comments on gas consumption of the 328 vs 298?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:14 am 

Welcome to the forum. I would lean toward the 328. We have 5.7osi in ours. We have plenty of power. For the gas consumption I would think it would be very close to the same. The 328 would use just a little more maybe.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:48 am 
Sierra

Another vote for the 328. In my humble opinion, the difference in fuel costs is likely to be relatively negligible and at this level really shouldn't be a deciding factor. It would be helpful to know what boat you're coming out of, how you plan to use your new boat and where. But I'll echo the sentiment that you should buy the biggest boat you can in your budget and for your intended use. If you're coming out of a smaller, faster boat, you should be prepared for a change in performance and that's where a sea trial can be essential. My boat two seasons ago would plane in three seconds and cruise at 40 mph. Now I cruise at 25 and, while I'm comfortable with that, it's a whole different ball game. I am also among those who would strongly recommend a survey even though it's a dealer boat. You never know what they'll find and given their desire to make the sale, I would guess the dealer would make good on any issues found. It is a very worthwhile investment.

Best of luck and welcome aboard!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:54 pm 
Shark

Choices, choices - Go big. We have a 328 w/ 5.7 duoprops. We keep it loaded with fuel, H20 and friends and never thought about more power. Comes out of the hole nice and tops in the low 40s.

Nashville, TN
"No Problem" 1999 328 Vista
1996 240 Horizon (previous)

Nashville, TN
Current
04 Hustler Cheetah
06 Seadoo sportster 150
Past
06 378 vista
328 vista
240 horizon
21' glastron
20' celebrity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:51 pm 
All Night Long

go 328. The added length and in particular - the added beam will be the nicest upgrade.

In terms of fuel burn, yo are looking at minimal differences. Twin 5.7s will be fine for that 328. I would guess your cruising fuel burn will be around 18gph. On the 298, it MIGHT be 16 - but I would bet it's probably pretty close to the same.

The 5.7 GI has lots of torque at lower rpms, the GXI motors have more power, but that power is on the upper end of the power band. Cruisers only wind up the RPMs when coming on plane. I don't think the performance/cost benefit is there for cruising.

Some other things to think about:
-- Does the beam or size limit you in terms of moorage?
-- Does one vs the other have a generator? That's almost a 10k value by itself.
-- Think about other maintenance costs -- bottom paint, cleaning, etc. Anything priced by the foot will be a little more than the 298.

I did all kinds of evaluation when going between th 278, 288, and 318. Needless to say, I still went with the 318.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:53 pm 
Minnow

My other boat is a Stingray 22ft with a 350. I am keeping that as we ski and wakeboard all the time and I have two slips at the house.

Went with the 328... after we went on both boats within a 1/2 hour of each other the size difference was much more noticeable between the two. We took it out and the power was fine, cruised nice at 30 mph and Also the 328 was just 15k more plus was a year newer. In the end became and easy decision. I feel like I have done it right, paying cash, getting it for 35% discount and the broker threw in about $1500 worth of stuff like shrinkrap, free winter storage etc. I plan on having this boat for 15-20 years now with no financing or anything.

I am now depressed that is is snowing today and I have to wait till spring to get going.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:49 pm 

annapolis wrote:
My other boat is a Stingray 22ft with a 350. I am keeping that as we ski and wakeboard all the time and I have two slips at the house. I feel like I have done it right, paying cash

I take it that "the house" your are referring to is the cherished second home deduction? Good for you for being able to pay cash for a 328 in this economy. Probably a smart move regardless. :)