www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hartford, Ct Boat Show
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:38 pm 
Andiamo

I am thinking of going to the Hartford Boat show this weekend! I know G&R will be there with Four Winns on display. IS there anyone here from the tristate area that is thinking of going to the show? I've never been to the Hartford, CT show. I've been to Norwalk (the best) and I've been to the NY show which every year gets worse and worse. I know the Atlantic City show is coming up also. Any opinions on the Hartford Show??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:04 am 
email admin your custom rank

Went last year and bought my 248. Going thiis afternoon and who knows? I think its a good show. Much smaller than Norwalk for obvious reasons. Clinton sucks IMO and I usually go to Newport in the spring. That one is pretty good too. I just like being in Newport though. The Nordic dealer and the Ranger 25 tug will be there as well. I really want the Nordic 32 and it has been at every show I have been to. One of these times I am going to buy it.
Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:35 am 

I went last night. The convention center being indoors has a limit as to how many boats can be there. There seemed to be a good representation from all the major brands. There were a handful of boats in the 30 plus ft range. G and R went up to a 318 Vista, which was sold. I went looking for marinas to park my new boat and spoke with quite a few nice people. For a very cold evening it was fairly well attended. I enjoy every boat show. I like looking at boats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:36 pm 
Andiamo

Brian and Barry, Thanks for the input. I got unexpectedly tied up today, so it looks like I will go tomorrow since it is the last day! I'll plan to be there just before opening at 10AM. If either of you wind up back there tomorrow call my cell at (201) 376-3273 and maybe we can hook up.

I noticed on the Exhibitor list that Manchester Sports Center is at the show. Did you happen to notice if they had the Honda Portable 2000 generator on display?

I was also looking for "Lenco" trolling motors. I see that New England Marine Power from Easton, CT is at the show and they feature battery powered propulsion. Did you happen to see them and what products they had on display?

Thanks for the help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:37 am 
Andiamo

Got to the show for the opening at 10am on Sunday! What a pleasure at that time on a Sunday morning! I was able to liesurely stroll around and see what I was interested in without the huge crowds. Four Winns (G&R) was in a great spot. As soon as I entered the show, there was G&R off to the right! By mid day they had quite a crowd there! I took another look at the 318Vista! Really is a beauty!

Then I went over to look at the Fire Engine Red 32' Nordic Tug! What a Great Boat! Looks real good in that Fire Engine Red Hull color! I wonder how that color would hold up over time exposed to salt and sun??

I almost bought the Honda 2000 portable generator, which was $950.00 at the show. I had looked online before going to the show and found a local dealer who advertised it for $939.00 so I will go take a look there. Has anyone had any experience with this? I am thinking of using it while on the hook and using the pig tail adapter w/ my shore power cord to connect to the boat to be able to run all the 110V appliances, the TV, the laptop, etc and keep the batteries charged, while at anchor. It also gives the the ability to jump start a dead battery if necessary. I know they beat this issue to death on the Boat US board, but I think it was about 50/50 for or against using the portable generator like this. I would use it either on the swim platform or up on the bow depending on which way the wind was blowing. While underway it looks like it will fit nicely in the lazarette out of the way. The only thing that would make me nervous would be a safe way to store a couple of gallons of gasoline to refuel the generator if needed. The unit holds 1 gallon which would run the generator for 10 hours at full bore. I guess that may be enough since I do not think I would be using it continuously anyway. Any other opinions?

It started to get real crowded around 1pm, and you could not get into the cabins or even get to the helm without chasing swarms of kids away, so I hung around for another hour or so, and then as the crowds got larger it was definietly my cue that it was time to leave!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:26 pm 

I was there on Saturday. The 318 is Really nice. That was sold though. As for the Nordic, I really want that boat. I have been talking with Paul from Wilde about that one. They are asking 280K without any options or electronics. Kinda steep. I know I could get alot of boat for that money, but it wouldnt be a Nordic. Did you get to go on the 340 Crowline at all? Great price on that. I guess they sold a few this weekend from what ive been told. Check boatered.com on the Honda Genny. I know they had a good deal on them not sure if they still do or not though. Hopfully spring will be here soon. At least we have the boat shows. Next for me will be Newport in the late spring early summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:21 pm 

I have spoken with quite a few people about their generator use and I have decided that I agree with the opinion of getting a Honda to put on the swim platform when you want power. A friend of mine owned a Searay for over 10yrs and used the genset 3 times. He slept almost every night at the marina or the few times he was on the hook, he planned ahead not to be cooking. The house battery should supply plenty for an evening. The dealer in fact suggested for the cost of the genset and the high maintenance associated with it, that it was a waste of money and he suggested a portable Honda. A 10hr run time should be plenty. And you can bring the generator home if the power goes out. I bought my new boat without a generator. I would rather spend my gas cruising.

That Nordic tug is a beautiful boat.

I looked around at the show and saw quite a few boats in the 25-35ft range and Four Winns quality is even more apparent at a show. I saw numerous boats with plastic counters, unfinished fiberglass areas, ergonomic mistakes, uncomfortable seating, cheap looking helms, poorly designed heads, expensive options that should be standard, lack of storage, etc. It confirms my choice of Four Winns and lets me sleep a whole lot better knowing that I bought a quality product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:36 pm 
268 Vista

It's too bad they did not have the new 338 at the show. They only have the photo shoot boat available right now. It will be at the Miami show in February.
If you think the 318 is nice, wait until you see the 338. Absolutely stunning.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:53 pm 
Seahorse

Went to the show Saturday 10 am , no crowds .Tried to get GPS . Guys from Lowrance were helpful , but Boaters World not to impressive . Still looking :roll: .
Rich