www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:56 pm 
2007 200 Horiz

1) Will dog claws scratch or tear the upolstry on the Horizon 200 (2007)? We have two (big) dogs and want to take them with us, but thought we'd check first. Any thoughts?

2) Any recommendations for lakes to go boating in the South East? We live in South Carolina, but are looking for weekend and day trips.

3) Any good books or publications out there for the best places to boat?

Any and all info you have for some newbies, we would greatly appreciate. Thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:07 am 
email admin your custom rank

I live in the Great Lakes Area so I doubt I would be much help for you with places to boat. I don't know how far away you are from Tennesee, but Dale Hollow is a fantastic place to boating for an extended weekend.

With regards to that dogs, I have a 100lb chocolate lab that we take boating. My best advice is to keep their nails trimmed. our dog has never torn a seat. Not saying it can't happen, I'm just saying it hasn't happend to me yet.

Congrats on the new boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:48 am 
2007 200 Horiz

Thanks for the information, might have to take a break from work and check it out!

Yeah we try and keep the dogs nails trimmed, might need to take them in and have it done professionally once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:36 am 
Andiamo

MdRobins35, First, Congratulations on your new 200 Horizon! Best of Luck, and Enjoy! Regarding the best places to Boat, there was a recent article in one of the Boating MAgazines I get. I'll look for it and let you know what it says!

Regarding the Lab, we take our dog everywhere on the boat, and we keep her mails trimmed, and have never had a problem with any tears in the upholstery. Our dog is a Retriever/Samoyed mix so she is only about 50 lbs. If you do not already have a good doggy life jacket, look at the ruffwear link that follows. It is the best we have found so far.
http://www.ruffwear.com/K-9-Float-Coat- ... ategory=12

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:45 am 
email admin your custom rank

Giaccamo wrote:
If you do not already have a good doggy life jacket, look at the ruffwear link that follows. It is the best we have found so far.
http://www.ruffwear.com/K-9-Float-Coat- ... ategory=12

Definately a great idea. Last year, my wife and I took our boat out for the very first time. Actually, it was the first time out ever in my own boat. Her, I, and Arie, our chocolate labrador. Now, everyone knows that labs love the water. I just had no idea how much. It was a sunny April day in the low 70's. Nice enought to be on the water. The water temp however was still in the 40's. Well, my wife and I stopped the boat to put on some sunscreen, and low and behold, Arie decides it's a wonderful time to take a swim. So, overboard he goes. No life jacket. So, we call, and call, and call to no avail to get him to come back to the swim platform. By now he's been in the water about 3 minutes or so. So, I (in my infinite stupidity) jump into the water to get him back to the boat. I had my swim trunks on but no life jacket. Again a stupid move. When I hit the water, the bitter cold water sucked the air right out of me and I couldn't breath. So, here I am, trying to tread water in the bitter cold, with no life jacket. I muster up enough breath to ask my wife to throw me a life jacket, but wait, (again in my infinite stupidity) forgot to show here where they were. DOH! So I finally explain to her where they are, she throws me one, I put it on, grab the dog, and get back to the swim ladder. We get the dog in the boat (by some act of god). Lesson here, make sure you have a life vest for your dog. It not only helps them swim, but it allows you to get them back into the boat.

Also, don't jump into freezing cold water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:11 am 
2007 200 Horiz

Thanks, that would be amazing to get some information about other lakes around here. We have one that is about 15 mins from our house, Lake Murray, but want to explore others.

we have two dogs, one will be sunning herself on the sun deck, while the other one will be doing cannoc balls into the water. We thought about the life jacket for them, just havent been able to find 'cool' ones for them. So will check out the website.

Thanks everyone, just have a the waiting to do now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:32 pm 
2007 200 Horiz

Hi everyone... this is Mdrobins' wife and just wanted to thank you for your feedback.... And, we really enjoyed the story on the lab jumping into the water! Something we can definitely relate to...as one of our dogs is half lab and LOVES the water. (we'll definitely be looking into a doggy life jacket). That website is GREAT!

Thanks again for the information!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:10 am 
wkearney99

woggy718 wrote:
Also, don't jump into freezing cold water.
When on the boat and the water's cold enough to be a problem it's a better idea to ALWAYS be wearing a life jacket. I keep an inflatable belt-style one onboard for just that reason. Regular ones for when conditions warrant, but the belt if I'm alone or the water's too cold. I didn't opt for the automatic kind so it still requires pulling a handle. But better safe than sorry.