www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:47 am 
Minnow

Hey guys & gals. Just writing to introduce myself and ask a few questions. I just purchased a 00' Horizon 180 with the 5.0 in it. For what I think was a very good price. The boat was kept in a slip in the summer for a few months and the bottom is quite dirty. What do you recommend for cleaning the hull? It appears to be like hard water stains. So I'm not sure what's best. Also, the Stainless prop has seen shinier days. I know everyone tends to like different stuff. What do you like? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:06 am 
2007 200 Horiz

First off welcome!

We are waiting for our new one but the product that I have used on my car and will be using on the boat is this:
http://meguiars.com/estore/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:35 am 
Minnow

I like Meg. products. I have used the fine cut cleaner on my vehicles before to remove scratches etc. I was looking for something I could use with the buffer. The clay sure seems like alot of work. I don't know if the Fine cut cleaner is too harsh on the gel coat or not. Keep it slow?? I don't know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:10 pm 
230 Mike

Welcome!

Rotary or random orbit buffer?

Might I recommend the products at http://www.properboatcare.com/redugelcofi.html .

Last year I used the Micro Polish & Sealer on our (then) 1-year-old boat which is stored inside out of the sun. I used a random orbit buffer; you should NOT use a rotary unless you really know what you're doing (if you do, you already know it; otherwise, don't try it).

I couldn't have been happier with the results:

Since then I re-wax with http://www.meguiars.com/?boat-flagship- ... Marine-Wax .

On your stainless props I'd go over them lightly with a fine Scotchbrite pad. If they have any dings or need any sort of repair I can highly recommend http://www.midwestpropeller.com. There isn't anything they can't do with a propeller, and their prices are very reasonable. I live about 2 miles from their shop and have been through it myself. They know what they're doing.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:54 am 
2007 200 Horiz

Keeping a boat outside isn't going to kill the coating of the boat is it? :shock:
We got a mooring cover and will be getting a tent to park it under, just until we can move to a house that has a bigger garage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:04 am 
Forty six and Two

A yearly clean and feed of the gel coat will keep it in great shape for a long time. I too use the orbital buffer and like the results. The Meg products are awesome.Ive used them on my old boat and all my cars....

congrats on your new boat.

73 International Scout II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:55 pm 
Minnow

Thanks, everyone! I used some pretty brutal acid based stuff on the hull. At first I was leery, but this stuff took off every bit of staining and hard water build up on it. It's now spotless. After replacing burnt out bulbs and other little stuff it's ready for a Meguires wax job. It really needed a good pressure washing inside and out! As far as storage. Can anyone recommend a place to get a quality travel/ storage cover? It has mooring covers and a bimini on it. But we get very hot in the summer and I like to cover it a bit better. Thanks Again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:18 pm 
230 Mike

MdR, with an outside boat you obviously want to protect it as much as possible from mechanical damage - hail, sandstorms, nuclear explosions, etc. What's less obvious to many boaters is that, although these things are built for fun in the sun, the sun itself is perhaps the most damaging thing a boat can be exposed to as far as the finish and the appearance are concerned. UV exposure is the fastest way to turn your gel coat yellow and chalky. You want to cover as much of it as you can, especially from around the rubrail up, since that area gets the most direct rays. Choose waxes that specifically contain UV blockers and wax it at least twice a year.

For the interior, lay in a good supply of 303 Aerospace Protectant for the vinyl, and apply it at least a couple of times a year. There are a couple of sellers on eBay who sell it in various sizes cheaper than you can get it locally (if you can find it at all locally). When people are in the boat with suntan lotion on, ask them to sit on towels because that stuff can cause vinyl to discolor with enough time and exposure.

If you do these simple steps and keep the boat covered as much as possible, you should have a good lookin' ship for years to come.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:21 pm 
2007 200 Horiz

Thanks for the tips Mike, once again!

One question though..where do you live again...cause down here in SC a nuclear explosion isn't a normal winter issue :shock: HAHA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:54 am 
230 Mike

Here in the plains, between October and April nothing surprises us. :shock: :roll:

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:01 am 
2007 200 Horiz

:shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:31 pm 
email admin your custom rank

as far as your stainless prop goes i used never dull on my stainless exhaust tip on my car and other various things and it works great. would probably do well on the prop.