www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:15 am 
Andiamo

For some reason my 2004 268Vista did not come with a "Rub Rail" around the extended swim platform and the exposed FG edge has some chips and nicks! Who says I don't make docking mistakes! Nothing major, but looks crappy! I ordered a "Rub Rail" from Four Winns and it has arrived. Now all I have to do is install it! It comes in 2 pieces. First is the white rubber/vinyl base that gets installed on the swim platform edge. The dealer told me they use SS screws that are just long enough to grab the FG! I was thinking of using Pop-Rivets as I have a rivet gun and used it many moons ago on my 1st boat that I completely stripped down and refinished. The rivets were easy to install and came out pretty good, so I was thinking they would be a better choice than screws?? The 2nd piece is the stainless steel insert that you slip into the groove in the white rubber/vinyl base. The stainless steel insert gives it a nice finished look and of course hides all the screws/rivet heads.

Has anyone installed a rub rail and have any pointers for a good install? If not, does anyone have any opinions on using rivets vs screws?

One last idea/question. I was also thinking of using a marine sealant on the back of the white rubber base before screwing or riveting in to give it better adhesion all around? What do you think?

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated! Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:19 pm 
Mental Floss

I think the adhesive/sealant is a good thing. It will help keep the water out of the glass from the holes either from the rivets or screws.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:38 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I went with rivets when we replaced the snaps on the old Silverline. They were originally screwed in and I found that over time they loosened up. The rivets we put in seem to be holding up really well, not comming loose and none have let go. My 2 cents... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:41 pm 
Andiamo

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input! I'll probably get started in a couple of weeks and let you know how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:00 pm 
AGE < LOA

I'm curious how helpful that will be. Seems as though the edge of the SP pitches so there are many angles that you could come into contact with an object. Post pics if you can. I'm guessing its just the very edge which it protects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:45 pm 
Andiamo

Just started to measure everything out, and took a few pic's, before and after, with temporary rub rail base kept in place with clamps. These are before installing the stainless steel insert which sits right in the groove in this white vinyl base. I decided to install the base with Pop rivets. I will post more pics after I rivet the base in later this week. Here Goes:
This 1st pic shows the chips in the swim platform from the "DoggieRamp"

This 2nd pic shows a nice chunk taken out of the edge by a ski!

This 3rd pic shows my Docking mistakes! Definitely gotta hide these! I also bought some new Hull tape from FW to repair the original tape that has been abused!

This 4th pic shows the new rub rail before the stainless steel insert bent to fit snug around the bend and held in place with clamps. The permament install will be with pop-rivets to secure it in place, and then the stainless steel insert fits right into the groove to give it a finished look.

This 5th pic shows how it follows the contour of the swim platform edge which has a slight taper to it.

Lastly, this pic shows how the rub rail snugs under the ladder without having to be cut out!

I am a bit inexperienced with posting pictures, so I hope these do not take up too much bandwith, and bog down the messageboard. If they do, I apologize, and will not do it again!

If they come over O/K, I will post more when I finish the install.

Regards to All,
Jim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:57 am 

Looks great. Dang you Giaccamo!!! Now I have another project to add to the list. It's all your fault!!

:D

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN
http://blueoceanlife.worldventures.biz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:48 am 
Andiamo

Yes and the materials were under $200.00!

ps. Woggy718, Thank You for the photo tips! Worked great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:36 pm 
Mental Floss

Looks good! As to the docking mistakes...we all make them! I chipped the side below the water line this weekend. The only way to get into the slip with the wind was to use a spring line on the mid cleat and pivot around the piling. The barnacles on the piling did the scratches and chips. Not much you can do. I look at it this way, I'd rather take my scratches and enjoy the boat rather than have her look perfect and never used!

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:10 pm 

The rub rail looks great. The factory couldn't have done better.

Post subject: Rub Rail is Completed
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:01 am 
Andiamo

I completed the rub rail install yesterday, and as promised, here are some pic's of the finished job. They say planning is everything, but I will tell you that "Testing" is "Where the rubber hits the Road"! I tested the whole install using a pice of wood cut to the exact thickness of the swim platform, and since the material was too thick for the standard 1/2" grip rivet, I had togo up to the next size and it proved to be too much pressure and actually cracked the wood. I was concerned about that and certainly did not want to crack the FG, so I abandoned the rivet idea. I installed the white PVC base with #8 X 3/4" SS screws, and then installed the finished Stainless steel insert using #8 X 1 1/4# SS oval head bolt thru the swim platform and secured it on the inside with a #8 washer and teflon locknut. There is actually more FG material in the corners, so there I had to use 1 1/2" bolts. I am satisfied with the results. As an aside, a buddy of mine was bottom painting his older Sea Ray and could not believe how thick the Four Winns Swim Platform is? His is at best 1/2 the thickness, and he said he would never trust screwing anything into that. I never realized how substantial the Four Winns Swim Platform really is!!

Picture #1 - Had trouble resizing this one!

Picture #2 - Snug around the bend!

Picture #3 - Fitting under the Ladder was no problem!

On to the next project!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:25 am 
AGE < LOA

Looks great! yeah, the prior owner of mine must have smacked something with the back of the platform; it has spider cracks stemming out from an impact. Wish he would have thought to do this, but I think I'll go ahead and do it. Thanks for the great thread!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:17 pm 

Looks tremendous. Four Winns should be calling you for advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:36 pm 
Andiamo

I don't think so, but Thanks for the compliments. Actually, this was a pretty easy project, even for me! I usually screw it up! Everybody at my marina thinks it gives it a nice finish look! It really should have been part of the original design. Maybe it was an option. I don't remember. Anyway, thanks all and a Great Boating Season to All!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:11 pm 
Goldfish

Very nice job!

My 03 268 Vista didn't have a rub rail either. I did "bump" it against the lock last summer when it was windy, sounded bad but no dammage.

Anyone know if the newer model years of the 288 have a rub rail on the swim platform?