www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Factory Service Manuals
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:08 pm 
Minnow

I'm trying to locate a good place to get FSM's without it costing me an arm or a leg. On the used boat I bought, the Volvo tags on the outdrive are unreadable. Is there a way to cross referrence the numbers off the boat to get the numbers for the motor and outdrive?I could probably get the info I need from the Penta site but I have no numbers?Just the basics, fluid capacities recomended maitenance etc. Got any ideas? Its a Horizon 180 with the 5.0.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:21 pm 
AGE < LOA

I don't have the FSM (yet) either.. Can anyone tell me what the spec is for compression across all 8 cylinders in the 5.0 and their variance tolerance?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:01 am 
230 Mike

Mk, what year, which variant (Gi, Gx, etc.)? I can try to look that up.

Tam, I'd call FW and ask for Tech Support. Give them your HIN and ask them what power package was installed in your boat.

I've got a full set of VP FSM's. They do cost around $80 for a set. The bigger issue is that they aren't very good compared to what you may be used to seeing with cars or other items. The VP manuals are heavy on proprietary tools (a king's ransom couldn't buy them all), and very short on explanation and theory. They pretty much assume you know what you're doing and why it needs done; there's no troubleshooting, just a step-by-step guide to R&R'ing the vertical driveshaft, for example. Why you'd ever want to remove that, well, that's for you to figure out. Oh - and they don't include most part numbers. Those are in a separate unbound document, which took Doug Russell Marine several days to even identify.

I've also got the Seloc manual for my boat. In many ways it's better, but it's also not complete. Having both the FSM's and the Seloc is helpful, but the two of them together still don't answer everything.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject: FSM'S
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:21 am 
Minnow

My buddy has a set that ran him almost ahundred bucks, and it consisted of 3 books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:55 pm 
AGE < LOA

Thanks Mike, I'll find out what variation it is. It is a 2000 model. Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:48 pm 
Minnow

Thread jacking is rude and considered the same as interupting! If you have a question that even slightly deviates from the one I asked then start your own thread. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:10 pm 
2007 200 Horiz

It was along the same lines as yours...the answer to yours would have answered both questions. I thought the point of the forum is to help newbies and any one else with questions...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:53 pm 
230 Mike

Tam, please don't be offended, but it seems to me you got a reasonably complete answer to your question. It didn't seem to me that that the other question did anything to detract or take the emphasis off of yours (?). While you are certainly correct about the definition of hijacking a thread (actually it's the best definition I've ever seen), I think before jumping on someone you might consider the spirit in which they interjected - and I don't think the other question was intended to cause any problems. Just my $.02, I'm just happy to be here. :D

A full set of Volvo FSM's will cost in the neighborhood of $80-100, but I would refer you back to my earlier comments before spending that kind of moo-la.

Mk, according to my Seloc manual that covers '92-'03, the compression variance allowed is as follows: the lowest compression cylinder should be at least 75% of the highest compression cylinder. My VP manual, which applies to specific variants of the 5.0L and 5.7L, says the same thing; it also specifies a compression ratio for both blocks of 9.4:1. However, *neither* of them explicitly state an acceptable range of actual compression values. The closest thing to it is in the VP manual, which contains a table of values that is only intended to keep you from having to do the math to figure out what 75% of the highest cylinder is. If it's of any value, this table shows max PSI's ranging from 134 to 212. Whether you can infer that your highest compression cylinder should fall into that range is not clear.

I went to the trouble of looking all this up and laying it out as clearly as possible, for two reasons: 1) to help Mk if possible, and 2) because (getting back to Tam's original question) this exercise makes a nice example of the difference between the FSM's and Seloc, and how both of them together still don't answer all of even the most basic questions. :roll:

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:39 am 
Minnow

I'm just tweaked because I have posted 3 seperate threads and every time someone interupts with an off topic question which resluts in killing the question that I first asked. Formus are designed to get different opinions from many people,"not one" and as a result being very helpfull. If people continually change the subject then it defeats the purpose. It's not that hard to start a new thread. If you have a question that's a bit OT that's alright. But don't change the subject completely. It's just being polite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:49 am 

back to boating pls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:30 pm 
230 Mike

To reiterate on the original question - Volvo's FSM's are based on the specific power package your boat has in it, for example "5.7GXi(e)". They aren't based on the year of manufacture. So, you're going to have to find out what package you've got, and I don't know of any way to do that other than to call FW with your HIN and ask them.

If you decide to get the FSM's, you'll need the part numbers of each of the books involved. There will be one for the engine, one for the drive, another if you have fuel injection, and probably a separate one for the parts catalog. Whoever you talk to at FW will also have the best chance at getting you those part numbers, but don't be surprised if it seems to take them a lot of effort to dig up. Once you have the part numbers, you can order the books from any FW dealer or from http://www.dougrussell.com.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:29 pm 
wkearney99

I've e-mailed fourwinns several times and they've always come back with helpful replies. Phone calls, well, I've had better success with e-mail...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:47 pm 
Minnow

I already found them for a decent price, and read the last sentence of my original post. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:24 pm 
230 Mike

Congratulations.

There are different variations on each basic engine. If you want the correct manuals, you'll have to know which one you have, beyond knowing that it's a "5.0."

Think I'm done with this one.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]