www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:09 am 
email admin your custom rank

There have been lots of threads about why people like their Four Winns, but how about one that looks at what you don't like about your boat? Or maybe what you wish was different about it?

Overall we love our boat but there a few minor things that I think could have been done better.

- the spotlight is mounted in a way that makes it near impossible to open the hatch over the windlass without hitting the spotlight with the hatch
- the rear bench seat must be removed to gain full access to the engines
- the screens for the cockpit hatches are a PITA to get on
- I wish our canvas attached to the arch vs. passing under the arch...I just think it looks better (ours is the last model year with this setup)
- it would be nice if the storage area under the helm armrest was water tight
- the self-bailing design of the cockpit leaves much to be desired...the scuppers are poorly placed
- our boat has the skinny leg for the cockpit tables; later model years had the fatter sturdier leg...I want that sturdier leg
- courtesy lights on the swim platform would be nice (though I can add those if I really want them)

I think that's it. Nothing big, just a few little things. Overall we couldn't be happier with the boat.

Last edited by Winedown on Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:54 am 

In my old one the wood in the structure was very poorly glassed...but the engine access is very good once you pull out the rear seats...

In the newer ones the glass work seems much better but the engine accessibility in the smaller to mid sized bowriders is awful. Really, really BAD, I would not buy one. I can imagine what a horror show a starter replacement would be, I just put a new one in my old 200 in about 1/2 hr. Things should be made to be fixed, not just look good....

I don't like how the gas tanks are retained in the newer ones either, 4 small metal brackets screwed into the stringer is lame. You don't want a plastic tank with 40 gallons of fuel that weighs 240 lbs moving around when you're coming off a wave. The old ones used an aluminum tank with 4 strong much larger mounting tabs that could be secured to the main stringers. That's how mine is, of course I had to re-build all of that structure because of their bad 'glass job...

I know they didn't sell that well but a mid sized cuddy, or even a walk around style in the 22 foot range would be nice. FW does not give you an alternative to a 26 foot cruiser once you are ready to move up from a bowrider. Some of us would like a choice of closed bow boats in addition to the bowriders. They have too many small bowriders and then the jump up is too expensive beyond that. Put some choice in the middle between the cheaper bowriders and the big cruisers....Here hardly anyone buys a 17 or 18 foot boat anyway unless it's a Boston Whaler. Start at 20 feet (they could offer a 20, 22, and 25 or so) for bowriders and cuddies. They could use the same hull for both the bowriders and cuddies so it's the top cap and interior that would have to be different. Then 26 and up for the cruisers. They have the cruiser market well covered but not the in between area. I won't comment on the outboard issue other than to say I am glad they finally brought them back (hint...bigger, please....)

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:15 pm 
230 Mike

The amount of time, effort, and money required to make the trailer acceptable.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:33 pm 

One of my main complaints is engine access, you can see everything but you cant reach anything. I'm 6'4 and fairly limber so i can just reach the block drains and A/C strainer. Starter? no way I'm doing it.

The engine access hatch is pretty weird but I have it figured out where I can take it off or open/close the seacocks quick, even though that requires leaving the rear carpet out.

Other than that I'm pretty satisfied with it, my criteria was easy though. It had to sleep 4, be trailerable with a 1500 pickup and my 6600lb lift could lift it out of the water - and not sink the first time out :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:16 pm 

No complaints with the boat itself but I was never satisfied with the Clarion sound system. I have replaced the Tower Speakers with Exile Tower speakers, added an Exile 800 watt amplifier and replaced all 4 cockpit speakers with Wet Sounds. Sounds great now!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:26 pm 

Like 230 Mike - my only gripe is the trailer. Got a galvanised trailer, but the springs/axles etc are not galvanised, and all the nuts and bolts have rusted quite quickly and now difficult to remove. Gradually replacing all of these with stainless which is what they should have been in the beginning IMHO... Other than that, the trailer tows and loads really well.

Can't honestly think of anything on the boat that pees me off.... about the only change I've made has been stainless cup holders and added a VHF radio and fishfinder/GPS.

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:47 am 

Inattention to detail e.g. seals on the wrong side of holes, messy wiring in particular in the helm area, bodges to remedy mistakes during assembly.

Graham

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:33 am 
Clownfish

There are just a few things we do not like.

No cleats on the swim platform
No handle on the ladder hatch so it is easier to climb the ladder
Lack of hydraulic engine hatch
No steps to get up to rail easier from swim platform (although we just bought some to install. Don't understand why the 2000 328 has these, but ours does not)

I also agree with the armrest by the captains seat. We had the cockpit cover on, not realizing it was a leaking piece of garbage, and everything in there was junk. Flashlights were actually full of water!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:20 pm 

Just a couple of things. Fixed on the new models though.

Having to actually remove the two engine compartment hatches for access. If something happens on the water, I would have to take out the hatches and store on swim platform.
This was mentioned before, but having the camper canvas under the radar arch instead of attached.
Also, the air conditioner draining into bilge.

Previous Boats:
2004 Sea Ray 220 Select

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:59 pm 

txvista wrote:
Also, the air conditioner draining into bilge.

Is that where it drains to? I was wondering. Our sump pump was broken when we bought the boat in late August and when I removed it the only thing attached to it was the drain for the shower. Had me wondering where the A/C drained to....now I know.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:01 am 
Clownfish

The only this I dislike is that the window does not open in the bathroom. Yuck. I can't seem to find a replacement. If anyone know what will fit on a 99' 258 vista please clue me in.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:13 pm 
Shark

The plastic covers for the air intakes on the hull were secured by cheap nuts and star washers. These get loose over time and there is no way to get in there to retighten them. I lost an intake cover while boating I now have the replacement cover ($75.00) for the air intake. To install this simple part I am looking for a someone about 8 years old that can fit into the engine compartment and reach above the water tank to put the new part on. Four good self-locking nuts costing about $0.10 each would have avoided a lot of frustration.

The cuddy cabin headliner came loose the first year and is now secured by 20 capped screws.

Staples in the bolster for the drivers seat stick out and tore the front of the drivers seat to shreds. Great design on the seat, cheap construction method.

The trailer has a lot of problems like brake lines held by glued-on plastic clips, electric wires not protected by plastic looming at bend points, and the trailer bends so much when the boat is put on the trailer that I cannot get the bow to the front trailer support (the trailer bends up to the boat until the front support meets the boat, then when winch is released the front trailer support bends back away from the boat).

The boat is 99 percent fantastic and a few inexpensive upgrades to construction materials and methods would add a lot of value. I hope someone from FourWinns reads these comments.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:41 pm 

Hi Obie, there was a recall type thing about the staples on the fip up bolsters at the time - a known problem - mine were repaired for free as were many other members.

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:57 pm 
Clownfish

The cabin sliding door & screen on our 2007 V358 is in need of constant adjustment to allow for easy opening/closing. The door also "slaps" with a loud noise when in rough water. Any suggestions for remedy would be appreciated.

2007 Vista 358

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:11 pm 

I don't like how there isn't one single Four Winns dealer in my state anymore. :|