www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:15 pm 
Tadpole

Hi guys, my dad and i just bought a 2003 four winns vista 248. Great boat! We previously had a Bayliner 2858 command bridge, very sad to see it go but the vista sure is an amazing boat. It being winter time here in WA, a heater was to be the first thing we did to our new boat. However after learning our volvo 5.7GI is NOT fresh water cooled we are thinking about going in a different direction. I'm surprised an engine this nice doesn't include closed water cooling standard. My thoughts are the salt water will ruin the aluminum heater pretty quickly. Are there any other options? Right now we are using a propane heater that goes on the back deck. It works well with the canvas up but can't be taken down below.

We have tossed the idea around of converting it using Volvo's closed water cooling conversion kit($1200). Or buying a Honda generator instead and using electric heaters. Sure would be nice to put a cabin heater in though. What do you guys think? Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:46 am 
email admin your custom rank

If heat underway is a goal, the only option is to run it from the engine cooling system. The generator and the propane will only work while at anchor or dock.

We use electric heaters while docked (with dock-side power .... we have not purchased a Honda genny yet). However, we boat late into the season and cabin and cockpit heat while underway would be nice.

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:52 pm 

I have installed FWC on both my last boat and my current boat. Look into San Juan Engineering and the kits they offer. They are manufactured in Bellingham, Wa., and are available just about everwhere (do a web search). An easy install with detailed instructions for a fraction of the price compared to VP.

As far as heat goes; I bought a Heater Craft heater and installed it on my Sundowner in conjunction with the FWC. It worked great and provided lots of heat, but it was a bit of a hassle to install. If I did it again, I would install an electric bus heater instead. On the previous boat, the engine had to be running in order to get any heat out of it. The same could be said with electric as to not drain your batteries, but IMO, a much easier install with more install location options. The quality and quantity of heat may suffer alittle aswell.

Rod

Past:
1999 225 Sundowner
5.7 GSi SX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:13 am 

Hi

I am going to agree with Rod!!! I have installed two San Juan Engineering kits myself. Easy to install with no problems!!

Paul