www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: swim platform screws...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:37 pm 
AGE < LOA

I have a vista but since most models have the extended swim platform (esp) I figured I'd throw this up here. I have a few heads broken off for the screws that bolt the supports for the esp to the hull. Anyone know if these are threaded? Is there a metal plate back there they thread into sandwiched into the FG? I don't know if they're metal screws or if I should try to drill and re-tap. I'm planning to take off the supports to see if there is enough leftover screw protruding to try to back the screw out with some vice grips. Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:40 pm 
email admin your custom rank

When we installed my ESP the supports were put on wir SS screws. That what was in the factory package. Hope you can remove and replace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:46 am 
AGE < LOA

Yes, it did have SS from the factory, but it was still weakened by corrosion I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:57 pm 
Goldfish

I installed ours just last year. There are 3 or 4 pan head screws at the base of each support. Basically a wood screw type of thread, they screw directly into the hull once a small pilot hole is drilled.
If you remove the supports there may be enouph of the screws sticking out that you coud grab them. Otherwise, good luck drilling them out. You might have better luck moving the support over slighlty to cover the old holes, with or without the screws still there. Calk the old holes well before reinstalling the supports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:22 pm 
AGE < LOA

*UPDATE* Guys, if you keep your boat in salt water seasonally you should keep an eye on these screws. I removed the swim platform today. On the port side, where there were already 2 broken off, they broke behind the fiberglass. When unscrewing the starboard side 2 screws broke at the head. The salt water REALLY does a number on these!!! These two did have enough protruding that I easily exctracted them with vice grips. As for the other two I'm in the process of drilling them. I'm need new drill bits though. I have good holes started in each. I'm going to go a bit deeper with the drilling then try a screw extractor or try driving a torx bit into them to extract. The only good thing is they don't seem to be threaded into metal (or at least corroded where they are in the boat so they come out pretty easy. I think I'll have them out tommorow. I'd highly recommend changing yours out if they appear at all discolored or corroded. I'm going to do all of them below the water line - all the screws on the trim tabs and both supports. This was on my 00 vista I just bought that the previous owner kept in saltwater. I checked my 02 horizon (which has only ever seen freshh20) and it's good as new..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:15 am 
Narwhal

You might try a left hand threaded drill bit. I've removed some tough broken off bolts with those in the past.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:53 am 
AGE < LOA

Thats a great idea, thanks Jim!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:32 pm 

Thanks for the warning on the screws; I'll check mine this weekend. I get the impression that a lot of the stainless screws used around the boat are not 316L, but something like 304. Maybe they meant to use 316L screws for below the waterline but they got them mixed up with some 304 ones. (like they did on mine and mixed up and used mild steel 1/2" bolts instead of the stainless ones that should have been used to mount the top of the ESP onto the transom!)

Regards,

Graham

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:37 pm 

At the bottom of the two supports where the supports attach to the hull, is that a solid hull mounting or is there room in the engine compartment where it is thru the hull to be screwed down with a plate and nut?

1995 Four Winns Horizon 190
OMC 5.0 RL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:00 pm 

Screwed to the transom wit SS screws. Not through bolted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:25 pm 
AGE < LOA

Well it looks like somebody put different screws in then what should have been there. The ones I pulled out are much shorter then the screws in the Horizon! Probably not the same grade stainless either. I got them all out but one - I drilled most of it away so I can angle the new screw slightly and still be able to use the same hole.

Question - for the supports, should they be bedded with sealer or should there be a gap for the support to drain any water? I'm assuming you seal both top and bottom then water won't be introduced into the support anyway. One of my supports was holding water though...