www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:50 pm 
Sting Ray

The ladder on my '96 Sundowner is killing my and my wife's feet when boarding from the water. It is this style:

What I am wondering is whether anyone has either modified there's, or changed it for another style.
I was looking at the later years, and it seems that Four Winns added a flat plate of sorts to stop the pain. Does it make a big difference?

I was also thinking or replacing the ladder, except for the two white four winns brackets mounted to the boat. I would not want to screw with filling and making new holes. Too worried about them leaking. I would have to measure the existing ladder to see which type fits, if either one.
Image Image

Lake Winnipesaukee, NH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:56 pm 
230 Mike

The white one with the foot pads is pretty comfortable, and pretty heavy duty. It's nice to have that deeper 4th step. I'd recommend it if it fits.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:06 pm 
Sting Ray

230 Mike wrote:
The white one with the foot pads is pretty comfortable, and pretty heavy duty. It's nice to have that deeper 4th step. I'd recommend it if it fits.

I will have to see if there is a newer four winns in my marina that I can take a peek at the ladder on. If I can see it, I can probably take a few measurements and see if it will fit in my compartment space. Would rather keep the four winns type in there, but if not, I might have to go with the telescoping one. I had that style on my last chris craft, and it was comfortable to get in and out of the water on.

Thanks for the reply.

Lake Winnipesaukee, NH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:46 pm 
230 Mike

BTW, the telescoping one you pictured on the left is used as the bow ladder on recent FW models.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:53 pm 
Sting Ray

Yeah, that seems to be the "standard" ladder. I mean, there are only so many ways to make a ladder.

I am hoping that the newer style four winns one will work in my configuration.

I tried to convince the wife that ordering an extended swim platform with a new ladder would be the best way to get a new ladder....didn't work.

Lake Winnipesaukee, NH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:09 am 
email admin your custom rank

Those "pads" for the standard ladder are apparently available seperately from FW dealers. Someone posted the part numbers on here ( a few years ago !)

Graham

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:39 am 
Seahorse

I have had both options and the newer one is definitely more comfortable. On the older model, one of the pads came off of mine, and made it slippery and uncomfortable. At least on mine, the screw holes lined up perfectly.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:09 pm 
Sting Ray

Graham R wrote:
Those "pads" for the standard ladder are apparently available seperately from FW dealers. Someone posted the part numbers on here ( a few years ago !)

Graham

Ohhhh......That brings a smile to my face. I will check with Winnisquam Marine when I get a moment. Thanks for that info. By the looks of the pads, I never thought that they would be an 'add-able' part.

Lake Winnipesaukee, NH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:51 am 

Please update if you found a part that can be ordered and is a direct bolt on to our stock ladders! Thanks in advance :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:56 am 

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3487&hilit=swim+ladder

No part numbers I'm afraid ( I did ask!), , but someone confirmed they will fit, with appropriate holes drilled in the metalwork.

Graham

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:28 am 

Excellent! Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:55 am 

Just ordered my steps. Roughly $10 each plus shipping.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:37 pm 
Shark

I am interested in saving the soles of my feet from the ladder on my 1997 Coast runner as well. You were able to order the wider steps and they will attach to the existing ladder? Can you post an item number? Is the new step metal or plastic? Do they mount to the existing ladder rungs or instead of the originals? I have the exact ladder from the top photo of the post. Thanks for your help.

1997 Four Winns 203 Coast Runner-150hp Ocean Pro Evinrude
"BONA 4 TUNA"
1986 19' Bayliner Capri 125 Force

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:35 pm 

I called my local FW dealer (Gainesville GA) and told them what I wanted. Seems to be a popular item as thye had them in stock. I jsut gave htem the year/model of my boat. They are shipping them. When I get them next week I will check their fitment and if they work I will post the part numbers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:03 pm 
Sting Ray

mannix2 wrote:
I am interested in saving the soles of my feet from the ladder on my 1997 Coast runner as well. You were able to order the wider steps and they will attach to the existing ladder? Can you post an item number? Is the new step metal or plastic? Do they mount to the existing ladder rungs or instead of the originals? I have the exact ladder from the top photo of the post. Thanks for your help.

Problem with working nights is that I keep remembering to call while I am working. Grrr... There should be a marina that is open 24 hours/day. (Yeah, I know that would be stupid, but it would work for ME) To answer your attachment question, I believe that you have to drill and attach via screw or rivet. When I ever actually get them ordered, I will try to post a pictorial of how to do it for the future. It is funny when I see how many people ordered them these last two weeks here. It makes me believe that these forums are a great resource, for it reminds us that there is usually a fix for a problem we are having, because we are usually not the first ones to have that problem. If anyone else wants to post their pictures of how to mount the pads, it would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance.

Lake Winnipesaukee, NH