www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:19 pm 
230 Mike

There seem to be quite a few folks here who have recently bought new boats. For some it probably isn't their first boat, but for some it may be, so I'm just posting this as something to file away for future reference.

We finally got the 230 home yesterday for spring cleaning, wax, etc. For the first time, we pulled all the cupholders out to clean them and to make a long story short I dropped a screwdriver down into the area below the sink and behind the fresh water tank :evil: .

Getting it out involved removing a seat cover, a speaker, and a partition. It turned out to be a good thing, as this gave me easy (sort of) access to the fresh water tank, pump, etc. It gave me a chance to record the model number on the pump and so forth. Anyway, I noticed what appeared to be some light hard water deposits on the tank around the fill hose. Of course the hose clamp turned out to be loose - as did the clamps on every other fitting in that compartment. There was no evidence of other leakage, but it was only a matter of time. For the last year I've thought, "The boat's 2 years old now, I need to go around and tighten everything up." Well, lesson learned - after the first year, make sure you get it done.

Turned out the pump-out lines to the head were also loose to the point where the main discharge line had worked itself almost completely off it's fitting (ew). Thank heaven that didn't leak. Got that fixed up as well.

By this time I had lost my daylight, but next stop will be all the hoses in the engine compartment, including exhaust.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:34 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Thanks Mike. A good point for all of us to remember to check all hose connections in the engine compartment. Another one to keep in mind is to check the battery cable connectors and cables every season before dropping those batteries back in.

Maybe someone should start a thread with their own unique thing they always check that maybe we didn't think of?

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:36 am 
ShanMan

Wow, your mistake turned out to be a big time and money saver!

http://vista278.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:18 am 
Clownfish

Wow our boat is 7 years old. Better hope that nothing is loose (knock on fake, little pieces of glued wood).

Bimini Top Extension
Full Camper
Full Mooring Cover

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:25 am 
Mental Floss

pet575 wrote:
Thanks Mike. A good point for all of us to remember to check all hose connections in the engine compartment. Another one to keep in mind is to check the battery cable connectors and cables every season before dropping those batteries back in.

Maybe someone should start a thread with their own unique thing they always check that maybe we didn't think of?

Sounds like some check lists would be a good idea. It's not difficult to miss the "little' stuff that can turn into "big" stuff quickly on a boat

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:39 am 
230 Mike

Just a follow-up to this. I finally got around to the hose clamps in the engine compartment. Every single clamp, except for the ones on the fuel tank, were loose to some degree. A couple of cooling hose clamps were loose to the point where they could be moved with one finger. I'm amazed that I didn't have any water leaks. The exhaust clamps weren't as loose as some of the others, but they definitely needed tightening. One small clamp (the one supplying water to the port exhaust manifold) started slipping when I tightened it, so had to be replaced. Naturally it was the most difficult clamp to access in the whole compartment, but at least it was near the front.

You guys who have bought new boats this year should really put this on your season-end checklist.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:23 am 
email admin your custom rank

Here's a link to that "checklist" thread. Didn't get quite the response I was hoping for. Maybe I should start one with a different title?

http://ifourwinns.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=903

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:07 pm 
230 Mike

Oops... I added the hose clamp thing to that list.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic