www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boat launch
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:52 am 
Minnow

I know this will start a crazy list but i just had to share. THE BOAT LAUNCH!!! After a nice Fathers day out on the lake I come back to the launch... NOW, i'll tell you about the launch in Colchester VT. it has room for 3 boats at one time abreast. The right & left side have a 100ft plus of dock. I have seen at lease 2-3 boats tied off waiting for the truck & trailer to come retrieve them.. On each side mind you. The people with the most experience come right down the middle have somebody drive the boat off and circle the marina until they park the truck.

SO, here I come from a day on the lake and low and behold...... the launch is EMPTY... so I come in a little closer, still nobody... a little closer and there is now 1 pontoon boat sliding into position to launch. OK 1 boat no problem. he pulls in on right side. So, I bring my boat up to the left. I get to the 100 ft dock and motor up, radio off. blower off. look up.............. and there it was. The MORON at the launch. The lady with the bow line of the pontoon boat is now standing in front of my boat with ( what has got to be the longest bow line in the State. ) from right to left and 30 feet out on the dock with a line from her boat all the way across all 3 launches, then proceeds to pull the pontoon boat over to my side.... in front of me so now I have to leap frog around her to get to the trailer....... WTF are people thinking??? I had half a mind to hip check her off the dock into the lake on my way by her...

Just thought i would share

Sean

Vermont

Post subject: Re: Boat launch
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:17 am 
Dolphin

Still not as bad as this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3goRfcrj1WA

Please excuse the musical selection - certainly not my preference.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:34 am 
email admin your custom rank

I have always said, You want a good laugh, spend a few hours at the ramp!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:41 am 

On a busy Sunday afternoon you'll see at least 2-3 old guys in chairs watching people launch their boats at my ramp. They stare you down with a big grin on their face hoping you do something dumb.

I've seen some funny rope tricks like that but the most common thing I see is people starting their engines out of the water right before they launch it.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:22 am 
Shark

Ah, the boat launches! We live on the shores of Georgian Bay in a small town, and from our balcony we can clearly see the towns boat launch in action. I've seen it all too, from vehicles backed into the water fully, to fist fights, to just plain craziness. Makes me quite happy and content to have a cruiser and pay my marina slip fees.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:19 pm 
Goldfish

Seen it twice now.... couple years ago buddy goes to back his boat up with his wife holding the line.... all the safety and winch lines disconnected and the boat falls off the tailor on the way down.... has to be the worst sounds the boat scrapping on cement....

buddy this year pulled his boat out without his winch engaged so the boat fell off the trailer with the winch line stretched out right onto the cement.... just gotta shack your head... go help then get out there try not to do it yourself... haha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:44 pm 

I watched two dudes in an old Ford LTD with a fishing boat on the back who either forgot to set the brake, or it let loose and the whole setup backed down into the water.....
They got the boat loose, but the trailer and LTD completely submerged and they had to put a diver in the water to hook up a line from a big-ass tow truck to pull it out....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:58 pm 

Boat ramps are great entertainment!

These two guys with a 16ft Bayliner a couple weeks ago pulled up to the ramp the same time I did and must have put the boat in and out six or seven times before they could figure out how to unhook it from the trailer. They where still messing around and tying up the ramp when we pulled away.

I've seen my share of gelcoat on the concrete as well. Luckly never mine. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:14 pm 
Clownfish

Ran across this video of a boat ramp on Lake Havasu a couple days ago. While some of the boat owners (and observers) clearly have a couple screws loose, I still found it pretty hilarious.

Spent a couple weekends during college at Havasu for spring break, pretty awesome place to boat... but also a very high percentage of idiots.

I would like to think that I am pretty competent on the ramp, but I can't say I have ever encountered a few dozen people watching your every move and chanting at you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66YSjRGK ... re=related

Former Boat:
2008 H180 w/ 3.0L VP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:59 pm 

Holy crap what a bunch of losers. What they're doing is ass whippin worthy around here.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:16 pm 

How about the "brain surgeon" who pulls his boat out of the water and up the ramp a few feet, then STOPS right there on the ramp, gets out and puts on the tie-downs, pulls the transom plug, takes the ice chest out, stops and chats with a friend........all while there are 3-4 boats waiting at the dock to either pull out or launch.....just wanna smack them! Then they get all beligerent when you ask them nicely to move the boat up so you can get your trailer in there.......mo-rons!

Previous boats; 91 Cobia 19' Cuddy, 87 Starcraft 16' BR,
67 Winner BR, 65 Arrow 14'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:15 pm 

Ahhhh... Ramp Watching.

I believe this will be the latest sport added to the upcoming London Olympics! :lol:

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:18 pm 

Awesome video Matt. I wish they would do that around here, maybe peer pressure would work to move things along. You should have seen Nags this morning, five waiting to launch while there were four boats tied up on the launching piers.

People are so oblivious to what they're doing, I've found that it isn't worth the effort to say anything. I'll just watch and shake my head, knowing you can't fix stupid.

Current boat: 2011 Yamaha AR210
Previous boat: 1998 Horizon RX 4.3GL SX

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:19 am 
Shark

Well....first post, and getting ready to pick up our new H210 next week, and I have to say, the Ramp is my biggest fear of Boat Ownership (owned a BassTracker back in the 80's so I don't really count that). The last thing I want to be is the idiot on the ramp. I am hopeful that is the fear that will ultimately keep me from becoming that idiot.

My plan, is that I have a ramp about 10 minutes from my house....I am going to take my wife there so we can just load and unload a few times to get a hang of it before heading off to Don Pedro, CA and doing it in front of many others!

Anyone have any basic recommendations to a newbie.....let me make sure we understand..."Newbie", not brain dead idiot. =-)

Excited about owning our first boat for the family, but nervous as heck about all the "first's" until we get things organized and comfortable! Have boated often with friends, but you know how it goes when you are just helping out compared to actually the one "doing" it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:56 am 

Check drain plug in, tie downs off, kill switch hooked up, take your time and it will go easier, hands on bottom of the steering wheel when backing up...again don't worry about being too slow, better to take your time and not have any issues than rush and have problems.