www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:12 am 
email admin your custom rank

I have a 2005 horizon 210 and the faria digital depth gauge began flashing this summer. I have a flush mounted transducer that appears to pass through a hole in the hull. It seems to have started flashing after I waxed the hull of the boat, although I am not certain that the problem is related to waxing. I did "buff" the transducer to make sure that no wax remained on the transducer. I did not actually wax the transducer, but a small amount of wax may have gotten on the edge of the transducer. Could wax residue cause this issue? Has anyone else had a problem with a flashing gauge? The gauge appears to read accurately, but it is a pain to get depth readings when the gauge is blank half of the time due to the flashing. I am hoping to not have to replace the transducer since it is an "in hull" unit. Thanks for your help.

2005 210 Horizon
5.0L GXi
"Don't Think Twice"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:06 pm 

schoolsOut wrote:
I have a 2005 horizon 210 and the faria digital depth gauge began flashing this summer. I have a flush mounted transducer that appears to pass through a hole in the hull. It seems to have started flashing after I waxed the hull of the boat, although I am not certain that the problem is related to waxing. I did "buff" the transducer to make sure that no wax remained on the transducer. I did not actually wax the transducer, but a small amount of wax may have gotten on the edge of the transducer. Could wax residue cause this issue? Has anyone else had a problem with a flashing gauge? The gauge appears to read accurately, but it is a pain to get depth readings when the gauge is blank half of the time due to the flashing. I am hoping to not have to replace the transducer since it is an "in hull" unit. Thanks for your help.

It sounds as if you have inadvertently changed the setting on the gauge

Power on. The depth sounder will activate automatically when the power to it is initially turned on. You do not have to press the combination "ON / OFF MODE" keypad. The LCD will illuminate showing the depth and will also show the type of units selected, feet (FT), meters (M), or fathoms (F). To turn the depth sounder off, press and hold the "ON / OFF MODE" keypad for 4 seconds. Pressing the "ON / OFF MODE" keypad again will reactivate the unit.
NOTE: The instrument is designed to have the internal LED lighting remain on as long as power is supplied even if the unit is turned "off" at the keypad.
2. Depth alarm. Shallow mode: Pressing the "ON / OFF MODE" keypad again displays the "SH” shallow depth alarm setting. This is the shallowest water that will activate the alarm. Press and hold the up or down arrow keypads to adjust the reading to the desired depth.
Deep mode: Pressing the "ON / OFF MODE" keypad again displays the "DP" deep depth alarm setting. This is the deepest water that will activate the alarm. Press and hold the up or down arrow keypads to adjust the reading to the desired depth. When the shallow depth setting is read by the depth sounder, the "SH" will flash on the LCD and the audible alarm will sound rapidly. When the deep depth setting is read by the depth sounder, the "DP" will flash on the LCD and the audible alarm will sound at 2 beeps per second.
NOTE: To fully deactivate an alarm, reset it to zero. Pressing the "ON / OFF MODE" keypad temporarily deactivates the alarm. To reactivate the alarm press the "ON / OFF MODE" keypad until the depth reading appears.
3. Keel offset. Pressing the “ON / OFF MODE” keypad again displays the "KL" keel offset setting. This can be set so that the depth sounder either shows the depth below the keel or the depth below the transducer. Press the up or down arrow keypads to adjust the reading to the desired depth no more than 19.9 ft. For example if the bottom of the keel is 2 feet below the transducer and you want the depth sounder to read the depth below the keel, the display should be adjusted to read 2.0 FT.
NOTE: Once a keel offset is programmed, the shallow and deep alarms will be activated by the depth below the keel.
4. Units. Pressing the "ON / OFF MODE” keypad again displays "Un" on the LCD indicating the units mode. Press either the up or down arrow keypads to set the units desired to feet (FT), meters (M), or fathoms (F). These units once set, will remain the same for all modes. Pressing the "ON / OFF MODE" keypad again returns the depth sounder to normal operation.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:33 pm 

Starfish,
Thanks for the reply. I understand the process for changing the various settings. I do not believe that my problem is related to those settings. My specific problem is that I do not get a steady depth reading, but rather an intermittent reading where the gauge displays depth, then goes blank, then displays again, and continues to flash the depth on and off throughout the duration of being used. I believe that the unit used to display a constant depth reading without the flashing. I assume it is flashing due to the inability to remain in constant communication with the signal. Any other thoughts?

2005 210 Horizon
5.0L GXi
"Don't Think Twice"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:28 pm 

The buffing may have caused a wax film on transducer....try washing it with warm soapy water and rag.....I'm thinking its not picking up the signal.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:22 pm 
230 Mike

This thread is months old, but in case it was never resolved - these transducers are very sensitive to anything being on them and that does cause them to flash. Even just a "dirty water film" will cause it. I would clean off the transducer with denatured alcohol, and then make sure to keep wax away from it. Really there's no practical reason to wax the bottom anyway - the wax will be gone within 10 minutes of getting underway.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:53 pm 

230 Mike wrote:
This thread is months old, but in case it was never resolved - these transducers are very sensitive to anything being on them and that does cause them to flash. Even just a "dirty water film" will cause it. I would clean off the transducer with denatured alcohol, and then make sure to keep wax away from it. Really there's no practical reason to wax the bottom anyway - the wax will be gone within 10 minutes of getting underway.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to hear that the problem was from waxing. I have not been back on the water this spring yet, so I am not sure if my problem is resolved. I will definitely try the alcohol. I'm kind of a freak about keeping my cars clean, so of course when I bought my first boat last summer, I was freakish about that too. I have since read that waxing the hull is not a great idea. I will stay away from doing so in the future. Thanks for your input!

2005 210 Horizon
5.0L GXi
"Don't Think Twice"