www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:36 pm 
Tadpole

I have a 2007 vista 318 that I've just replaced the radar/gps/sonar with a Garmin 5212 and a nmea 2000 backbone. Ive been told that there is a possibility that the four winns and/or the mercruiser 5.7's and/or trim tabs, may interact or connect to the nmea 2000 network. does anyone know if there are components on the four winns that can be connected to a nmea 2000 backbone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:47 am 
email admin your custom rank

I too have that backbone, but I was told that I would need a "black box" to convert the data from the engine.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:01 am 

THere is a nema gateway, I dont know alot about it. I tried doing a quick search but didnt find it. I heard its around $695. As a suggestion, you might want to think about smartcraft guages. They work really well, and you can keep your chartplotter for navigation and guages for engine information

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:37 am 
Tadpole

hey paul, I do have the black box for my transducer, just don't know what I can hook up or where.

thanx jsimon, i'll check into that. I was told that some of the newer mercs and four wins interacted with the nmea 2000 network. there are unused factory plugs everywhere on the boat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:52 pm 

According to Mercruiser, "All Mercruiser MPI (multi-port fuel-injected engines) sterndrive, inboard, and tow sports models with serial number 0M300000 and higher are compatible with SmartCraft instrumentation systems."
It goes on to say though that to push this data to a NMEA2000 network, "The MercMonitor, levels 1, 2, or 3, can be configured as a gateway to export engine and vessel data to an NMEA 2000-compliant chartplotter."
So, from that, and some Google-Fu, I was able to deduce that without the Smartcraft package, your system doesn't spit out NMEA2000 sentences and does not have the hardware to even interface with NMEA2000. What I'd do (and did when I installed my HDS-9 GenII Touch) is purchase one of these from NoLan Engineering http://nolandeng.com/rs11.php. It does a fine job of taking the analog data from your gauges and convert them to NMEA2000 sentences for use on the NMEA2000 network. Be sure to add a NMEA2000 fuel flow sensor and an exhaust temp sensor and/or cooling water flow sensor (either can interface with the NoLand RS11) into the package to finish off the data acquisition and alarm capabilities. It was interesting to find out that our 268 gets around 2MPG while on plane at cruise (~30MPH) or at a slow putter above idle. Right on the "knee", however, she certainly sucks the fuel if held there. Basically MPG decreases from about 2.5 at idle in gear all the way to ~1 right at the knee, then as the bow drops it goes back to 2 all the way through just over cruise where it again starts it's drop towards 1MPG at WOT. Much better than I would have thought from a boat this size. Having a configurable alarm for all the engine operating parameters is a wonderful piece-of-mind feeling.

Last edited by kd4pbs on Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:05 pm 

dalejohnsonva wrote:
hey paul, I do have the black box for my transducer, just don't know what I can hook up or where.

thanx jsimon, i'll check into that. I was told that some of the newer mercs and four wins interacted with the nmea 2000 network. there are unused factory plugs everywhere on the boat

I am not sure what you are asking for?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:53 am 
Tadpole

thanx a million, kd4pbs. i'll give it a try and nice to know about the mpg's

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:53 am 

You're welcome, and have fun with the install!
Just to clarify as I re-read what I wrote... The fuel flow sensor would be a standalone part that interfaces with the NMEA2000 backbone, while the NoLand RS11 is a device that interfaces with the engine operations (water temp, oil pressure, RPM, trim, fuel level, etc.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:01 pm 

On the fuel flow sensor. Make sure you use Garmin if your running twin engines. I have a Lowrance fuel sensor from my old boat and it worked with no problems with one engine. The new boat has twins so I bought another Lowrance sensor and the Garmin only sees the two as one sensor. Garmin claims that with Garmin sensors, that The GPS should display each engine and than total the two.

You will like the network, I have my VHF, AIS, GPS, fish finder, fuel flow sensor, electronic compass and stereo remotes all on the backbone. Is was painless to setup!