www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:09 am 
email admin your custom rank

So I have a Lowrance fishfinder I want to install on the dash. Already purchased a RAM mount ($21) [the factory mount would not fit in the desired location, and I like being able to move it in more than just 2 directions.] Transom mount plate ($12) and Cable for NMEA connection to radio ($5) - now my questions are:

1) should I drill a hole through the dash to run the wiring? Or run the cables over the lower edge and up to the unit? Just looking for opinions. My thought was initially a hole with a rubber grommet for the wires to run through, but worry about putting too many holes in the boat for cosmetics.

2) what type of wiring fastener have you used for the transducer mount on the transom? I have seen some stainless, some plastic, and some silicone ones out there, just wondering what others have had success with.

Thanks for the help!

I only quote the prices I paid because I am a cheapskate. :P

2013 Dodge Durango HEMI

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:40 am 

The transom mount is not needed. No matter what, you will be drilling into your transom. Ether for the "mount" or the transducer. Hide the wires as much as you can! If needed, use a clam shell vent to run the wires out.

As to the transducer wires, If you go with plastic, I would, make sure it UV rated. The stainless ones will turn color after a year or two.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:04 pm 

The main thing is to use the right sealer (Life Seal or 3 M 4200) on the screws whether you use the mount or just attach the 'ducer to the transom.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:57 pm 

[quote="Paul I."]The transom mount is not needed. /quote]

Well - if I should ever decide to change my setup, I would rather be able to just drill into the transom plate rather than drill new holes into the transom. Also - If I add anything else, or whatever - I will have the room. Everyone I have spoken to has told me that the fewer holes in the transom, the better. As it is I will be saving one hole right off the bat as the transducer has 3 screws to mount it and the plate has 2.

2013 Dodge Durango HEMI

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:35 am 

And eventually if you have to replace the transducer sometimes the new mount has the holes in a different pattern....

I've changed transducer mounts a few times over the 12 years I've had this boat and as long as you seal the penetrations correctly you should be fine. I've re-done the sealant about every 4-5 years and have never had water come out and this boat is moored in salt water 6 months every season.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:33 pm 

fi.na.tine wrote:
Paul I. wrote:
The transom mount is not needed. /quote]

Well - if I should ever decide to change my setup, I would rather be able to just drill into the transom plate rather than drill new holes into the transom. Also - If I add anything else, or whatever - I will have the room. Everyone I have spoken to has told me that the fewer holes in the transom, the better. As it is I will be saving one hole right off the bat as the transducer has 3 screws to mount it and the plate has 2.

So very true. My self, I stick with Garmin and most of there transducers are interchangeable with there head units along with there mounts. Also, most tranducers are made by Airmar, so in many cases the holes will line up.