www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transducer question
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:31 pm 
Goldfish

Happy New Year everyone! I have a Lowrance chart plotter with downscan fish finder and I am wondering if the transducer will interfere with the stock depth finder on my dash. I currently have the chart plotter function active, but the transducer wrapped up and tucked in my dash. I don't want to drill and route the wires only to find it messes with my stock depth finder. Any ideas or experience with this? Thanks!

2001 268 Vista w/arch
2017 GMC 1500 Denali

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:29 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I have the stock in-dash depth finder operating in addition to a Lowrance HDS-8 with Structure Scan (their "side scan"). It has been my experience that the digital in-dash units are not as powerful and are more prone to losing bottom and giving erroneous readings than the graph style. Having said that, the in-dash unit operates on a different transducer frequency than the Lowrance HDS-8 so they do not interfere with each other. The Lowrance transducer frequencies can be changed if desired, but it won't be a problem.

I had to drill a hole in the transom about 7/8 inch or so for the connector. This hole is in the upper left corner of the transom near the trailer tie down U bolt. Look before you drill to make sure you don't hit something. Seal the hole all the way through the transom with a good water sealant. I also put a fitting over the hole for protection. I mounted a transducer mounting board (1/2 to 5/8" Starboard material from Cabelas) on the transom to the left of the outdrive that is bedded and edge sealed with 3M 5200. There is plenty of room to mount the regular transducer and side scan transducer. Since boat electronics get changed from time to time with this transducer mounting board I can change as needed with out sealing old holes in the transom. Hope this helps.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

Post subject: Re: Transducer question
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:24 pm 
Goldfish

Thx! It does help a ton. I didn't think of mounting a separate board for the transducer. Makes great sense. I will have to look into that. I am installing some strip LED lighting under the swim platform so I might get away with only one hole. Thanks again!

2001 268 Vista w/arch
2017 GMC 1500 Denali

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:12 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Here's a pic my transducer installation.

If you are mounting underwater lights, I have seen them mounted on brackets on the trim tabs using original hardware and holes. Just a thought..... Running all the wiring through the same hole should work just fine.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:11 pm 
Goldfish

Great picture! Thx for including it. It is nice to only have 2 holes vs many more by using the starboard stuff.

2001 268 Vista w/arch
2017 GMC 1500 Denali