www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:43 pm 
wkearney99

Paul I. wrote:
In some ways you are right, BUT it can display what I pick. So I "could" have engine temp, RPMs, depth, & oil pressure. I can set it up the way I want it. Providing I have the sensors connected to the network.

And I hear ya, really. What happens is that you can't display enough of the data to be actually useful. Certainly not as useful as a gauge dedicated for it. I really, really wanted to get that stuff displayed on the chart plotter, but it turned out not to be useful. So yeah, you 'can' (and mine does) but it ends up being a waste of effort.

I had a similar conversation with an airplane pilot about this sort of stuff, an aerospace engineer too. The consensus was it's better to have separate analog needle gauges (which could be digital screens) for data you need to keep tabs on. Using numbers requires you to 'think' about them instead of just scanning the needles for ones out of their expected position.

That's why if I did redo the helm and I went with digital gauges I'd go with screens that could show a needle. That way I'd get the 'potential advantage' of what LCD screens can offer but still retain the time-tested value of scanning the needles.

So I'm certainly not going to try and talk someone out of the idea. I'm just offering, as someone that's actually gone and done it, that it may not be worth the efforts.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:37 pm 
Clownfish

Do you have any pictures of the gps installed in the sl242?
I want to get the 421s and install it in the little cubby as well and am wondering how fid you go about it and if you have any during/after install photos?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:12 pm 
email admin your custom rank

For me, it really has not been "but it ends up being a waste of effort." Again, what do you want to display? What is useful to you?

For me it is, depth, speed, GPH, time, temp & heading. Simple things and if I am following a route, next way point, miles to go, and time I should arrive. On the 740, you can set up 2 or 3 info screens and have any data you want in them.

Later I want to hook up NMEA2k fuel senders and also display more fuel info. As in, estimated distance on remaining fuel.

Go to the bottom of this link, the 740 has needles. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the- ... 37721.html

Now with AIS, the GPS will display the targets (if the other boat has it) and I can receive name, speed, heading, home port & more.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:53 pm 

Now with the power of the NMEA2k bus, Fusion remotes can display simple data. As in, temp, depth, heading, volts and more.

For me, to have remotes to display temp & depth will be great. We have +12 swings in tides and if were on the swam platform or at the deck table. I can read the depth and just how much the tide has gone out. If your one of those boaters that have +3 power amps and more. The remotes and display battery voltage, great info if you need it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:29 am 

ColeSL wrote:
Do you have any pictures of the gps installed in the sl242?
I want to get the 421s and install it in the little cubby as well and am wondering how fid you go about it and if you have any during/after install photos?

Thanks

I didn;t take any pictures during the install, but if you look under the dash, there are four bolts holding the little cubby. Once you remove it, the cutout is already there to fit the 421. If you go with the 5XX series, then you need to make the hole bigger to fit. This was last year, at the start of the video you can see the GPS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-CcleEsQO8