www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:12 pm 
Shark

For the recreational boater I have found what has turned out to be a great app from NAVIONICS.

As long as your iPad or iPhone is GPS enabled you can use the app to help you navigate. Here's a screen shot of a trip through Mosquito pass in the San Juan Islands. This is a notoriously tricky trek for me (I kissed a rock there once). But this app has helped me time and time again.

It also has a "favorite places" wind/tide page, little tools to help when you are trying to make your way.

I set my depth warning to 10 feet and the screen changes color when I enter those waters.

Short of buying a $500 GPS system for my 21-footer, this $15 app is a great addition to my printed nav charts.

I also use TIDES by Mobile Geographics for Tide Info and mAIS for Marine Traffic info (just for entertainment purposes -- not a lot of big ships away from the open channels.)

Wonder what other apps you use for your boating fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:25 pm 
email admin your custom rank

It's also available for Android phones... great value. :D

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:21 pm 
Shark

I have just installed the Navionics chart for my part of the world for my iPad. The chart is very reasonably priced, easy viewing and setting up routes is easy. My iPad is the Wi-Fi only model so I have ordered a Bad Elf Pro GPS.
http://www.bad-elf.com/
The screen size is much bigger than my factory installed GPS. I don't think the iPad will make a boat specific GPS obsolete but it's a great backup system.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:33 pm 

jfair wrote:
I have just installed the Navionics chart for my part of the world for my iPad. The chart is very reasonably priced, easy viewing and setting up routes is easy. My iPad is the Wi-Fi only model so I have ordered a Bad Elf Pro GPS.
http://www.bad-elf.com/
The screen size is much bigger than my factory installed GPS. I don't think the iPad will make a boat specific GPS obsolete but it's a great backup system.

Hi John,

Will this app' work on an iPad if there's no mobile reception i.e. deep sea fishing?
I've been procrastinating about buying this for our Victorian waters!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:24 am 
Shark

Quote:
Hi John,
Will this app' work on an iPad if there's no mobile reception i.e. deep sea fishing?
I've been procrastinating about buying this for our Victorian waters!

It will when my Bad Elf external GPS arrives in the mail. I think the iPad 3G model has a built in GPS which will work anywhere and while it will pick up additional accuracy with cell tower contact it is not necessary for it to work. The Wi-Fi only model needs a cell tower signal to know where it is.
An external GPS should work better than a built in device and has the option of a remote antenna.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:36 pm 
Seahorse

Hi, I have an iPhone 4 and really enjoy the app. The only frustrating part is when my phone goes into energy save mode and the screen goes dark. Then I have to input my password and light up the screen again. Is there any way in the app to disable the phone energy saving features instead of having to do it through the settings part of the phone?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:50 am 
Starfish

I used it on my iPhone 4 a while ago when I was out on my jet boat. Seemed like it burned through a lot of MB on the monthly total. Would think I would have to be in a wifi area (unlikely) or have a phone plan that had a large # of MB per month to use...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:02 am 

bmacaluso wrote:
Hi, I have an iPhone 4 and really enjoy the app. The only frustrating part is when my phone goes into energy save mode and the screen goes dark. Then I have to input my password and light up the screen again. Is there any way in the app to disable the phone energy saving features instead of having to do it through the settings part of the phone?

Go to "settings > Auto-Lock" then change to "never". Just be sure to change it back when done using the app.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:23 pm 

Get a real marine GPS. We spend all this money on your boats and you want to use an Ipad?

Safety is first! You can't beat a marine GPS for, daylight viewing, there water proof, can take a beating and keeps on ticking and you can integrate it with the rest of your systems. More so your VHF that can send out a distress call in 3sec with you position if hooked up to you GPS.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:35 pm 

Paul I. wrote:
Get a real marine GPS. We spend all this money on your boats and you want to use an Ipad?

Safety is first! You can't beat a marine GPS for, daylight viewing, there water proof, can take a beating and keeps on ticking and you can integrate it with the rest of your systems. More so your VHF that can send out a distress call in 3sec with you position if hooked up to you GPS.

The Navionics app runs the same maps as the $1000 Lowrance chartplotters do. And faster. Much faster. With internet connectivity that updates with user inputted content like...downed tree, rocks, etc

My Samsung S4 Active is IP67 rated. It stays on the windshield mount if it's sunny or rainy. I had a Garmin 441 GPS with the latest maps, it was garbage compared to it.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:07 pm 

I have found the app useful when looking at various chart areas or plotting a course before heading out. I mock the route, then when on the boat, enter the actual waypoints in the GPS on the boat. It works pretty well but I find the iPhone screen in bright sunlight to be useless. The GPS on the boat however has a really nice screen that I can even see with my polarized sunglasses.

It can be a useful tool, but if you are doing any real boating where you have to plot a course and want the safety of VHF integration, I agree with Paul.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:27 am 

ric wrote:
Paul I. wrote:

The Navionics app runs the same maps as the $1000 Lowrance chartplotters do. And faster. Much faster. With internet connectivity that updates with user inputted content like...downed tree, rocks, etc

My Samsung S4 Active is IP67 rated. It stays on the windshield mount if it's sunny or rainy. I had a Garmin 441 GPS with the latest maps, it was garbage compared to it.

Will it connect to your radar and fish finder too. Display currents and tidal charts at a push of a button. Save and recall routes. But lets step back, you get what you pay for. Anther way I can put it, the right tool for the right job.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:55 pm 

Does your GPS have Candy Crush at the push of a button??? :lol: Sorry had to say it. I was just waiting for it... I agree, I would like to pick up a Lowrence Elite 4 for my boat, I like the features and the price is right also.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:36 pm 

I got the Elite 5 when West Marine had a big sale on them, and am happy with it. The screen is larger than the Elite 4, and if you can get a good deal, its worth the extra size. Makes it easier to see for sure. No candy crush though.... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:36 am 

Ya i liked the elite 5 also, I just didnt think it would fit well on my dash. I seen pics of Ric's old horizon and he had a smaller unit mounted in the place i am looking to mount one and it fit perfect. Where did you mount your elite 5? any pics?